RTX 4080 or 4070 Ti for gaming at 21:9 1440p?

DKrebo87

Limp Gawd
I've been doing research and have decided on one of these two cards for my new AW3423DWF, I'm not sold on the 4080 and whether it's worth the 50% price increase for the 20~25% performance increase. If you had to make a case for each card and why it would be the better option (pros/cons). I can currently get both of them at MSRP (70 Ti ASUS Tuf 799, or 4080 FE 1199), I almost exclusively play single players games besides casual Battlefield on occasion, I don't need to max out the monitor to 165Hz but would like to maintain fluid gameplay with framerates above 60-70. I'm personally a fan of Ray Tracing when it's implemented well and don't mind using DLSS, I'm coming from a 2070S my CPU is 9900KS, 32GB RAM 3200, power supply isn't an issue. I'm leaning towards the 70 Ti currently, I know the 4080 is the worse price for performance card and $800 + tax is already a lot for a video card imo. I think some people are using a few case scenarios of very poor optimization to say the card is VRAM/Bus limited, I think some reviewers on YouTube may have an incentive to push AMD, alas I'm sticking with Nvidia as I prefer their features/efficiency and overall approach. I don't plan on gaming at 4K much at all, maybe once in a while I will connect to my TV but don't mind adjusting settings to improve performance, 95% of gaming will be at 3440 x 1440.

If you're not upgrading from the 9900 than the 4070 is better fit if you're going to get a new 13th gen then go for the 4080.

If you're not upgrading from the 9900 than the 4070 is better fit if you're going to get a new 13th gen then go for the 4080.
Well the $400+ I would save going with the 70 Ti could be a 13th gen (13600k) CPU + 20% of a new board. I don’t see the 4080 as being a good value unless you’re gaming at 4K personally, even then the 4090 is only another $400 at that point. I’m going to try to get the most out of the 9900KS either way, so it looks like the 4070 Ti it is. It’s just crazy how expensive these GPUs are getting tbh.

Well the $400+ I would save going with the 70 Ti could be a 13th gen (13600k) CPU + 20% of a new board. I don’t see the 4080 as being a good value unless you’re gaming at 4K personally, even then the 4090 is only another $400 at that point. I’m going to try to get the most out of the 9900KS either way, so it looks like the 4070 Ti it is. It’s just crazy how expensive these GPUs are getting tbh.
The 9900KS is going to run outta steam sooner or later though. If you plan on upgrading the cpu/mb/ram in the near future then the 4080 is the better choice. The system would be more balanced. Value aside it's the long run of the system components being ran together for the total experience which would make more sense over the course of years.

The 9900KS is going to run outta steam sooner or later though. If you plan on upgrading the cpu/mb/ram in the near future then the 4080 is the better choice. The system would be more balanced. Value aside it's the long run of the system components being ran together for the total experience which would make more sense over the course of years.
I agree overall, but I don’t think the 4080 is worth nearly $1300 at that point I would just wait and save up for a 4090…and so on. I think the 4070 Ti is the better choice right now to bridge the gap at 1440p UW, I can always upgrade the platform later on and wait for 50 series if can bring 2x performance with GDDR7 and 3nm process if rumors pan out. I think with the 70 Ti I can wait and stretch my 9900KS til Arrow Lake-S (2024). I don’t have the money to do a full build at once so I’ll get the most out of this platform for the time being going this route. I typically stick with the mid-high tier cards as they usually strike a good balance of overall performance at somewhat decent price.

Last edited:
4090 is the only answer.
lol, if you like to lose value quickly…for now it’s a monster but once 50 series (+ maybe RDNA 4) launches it’s going to lose tons of value. GDDR7 is going to be a game changer, along with Nvidia’s custom 3nm process.

lol, if you like to lose value quickly…for now it’s a monster but once 50 series (+ maybe RDNA 4) launches it’s going to lose tons of value. GDDR7 is going to be a game changer, along with Nvidia’s custom 3nm process.
How would we calculate value though 4070/Ti vs 4090? What's the formula? Lol

How would we calculate value though 4070/Ti vs 4090? What's the formula? Lol
Well the 4090 is 2x the cost, for less than 2x the performance of the 4070 Ti. I guess most cards available today will lose a lot of their value once GDDR7 becomes mainstream. Value is also relative and different for each person.

PC are not a investment. Same thing will happen with 4070 and 4080.

Reactions: Zinn
like this
I have a 4080 and 4070 Ti in different builds. For 34:9 1440p I think the 4080 is overkill. You’re just not going to get much of a difference until you start hitting 4K.

1. My 3080 rock and rolls at 2 K, 4080 is overkill. No memory issues for me or need for DLSS magic.
2. Nothing comes cheap at sub 10 nm litho.
3. New DDR will not lower cost or solve problems unless the crappy game port/software is coded better. Remember AMD touted the 1 Tb/s HBM memory Fury VC as a 4K killer.
4. PC is not an investment it is a tool to some for their business/revenue generation.
All components depreciate contrary to what some pay for inflated third party/used stuff. We helped settle some hurricane related customer claims, always reimbursed less than build cost.

Oh man the conclusions from that page:

Since PC gamers rarely buy AMD GPUs, Nvidia only have themselves to compete with. AMD continue to burn their credibility with PC gamers. Following a series of over-hyped releases which were heavily promoted on youtube, forums, reddit and twitter, consumers have little interest in the Radeon brand. As time goes on, AMD’s “Advanced Marketing” has a decreasing impact on consumers.
And
Users tempted to consider the 7900 XT/X by AMD’s army of sponsored Advanced Marketers (youtube, reddit, twitter, forums etc.) should be aware that AMD have a history of releasing benchmark busting, heavily marketed, sub standard products. Although the 7900 XTX does outperform the 4070-Ti on paper, the 4070-Ti is more power efficient (quieter), has a broader feature set (RT/DLSS 3.0) and offers far better game compatibility (drivers). PC gamers still looking to join AMD’s “2%” GPU club (Steam stats: 5000/6000 series combined mkt share) need to work on their critical thinking skills: Influencers are paid handsomely to promote inferior products.

I've been doing research and have decided on one of these two cards for my new AW3423DWF, I'm not sold on the 4080 and whether it's worth the 50% price increase for the 20~25% performance increase. If you had to make a case for each card and why it would be the better option (pros/cons). I can currently get both of them at MSRP (70 Ti ASUS Tuf 799, or 4080 FE 1199), I almost exclusively play single players games besides casual Battlefield on occasion, I don't need to max out the monitor to 165Hz but would like to maintain fluid gameplay with framerates above 60-70. I'm personally a fan of Ray Tracing when it's implemented well and don't mind using DLSS, I'm coming from a 2070S my CPU is 9900KS, 32GB RAM 3200, power supply isn't an issue. I'm leaning towards the 70 Ti currently, I know the 4080 is the worse price for performance card and $800 + tax is already a lot for a video card imo. I think some people are using a few case scenarios of very poor optimization to say the card is VRAM/Bus limited, I think some reviewers on YouTube may have an incentive to push AMD, alas I'm sticking with Nvidia as I prefer their features/efficiency and overall approach. I don't plan on gaming at 4K much at all, maybe once in a while I will connect to my TV but don't mind adjusting settings to improve performance, 95% of gaming will be at 3440 x 1440.
What did you get?

To really get the most out of a monitor as nice as the AW3423DWF, you should go 4080.

Either would work tho.

Someone had the vRam on a 3070 modded from 8Gb to 16Gb, and it made almost no difference, tested a bunch of games including some odd one (Looked it up: Escape from Tarkov) that was a game that "it should make a difference in this one...", so cherry picked to make a point (well, to use the vRam). Then the point was that 8Gb was really enough: the Tarkov game would use the full 16Gb vRam but had only a few fps difference. He had an 8Gb unmodded 3070 to also test with, and compares both. The modded 3070 he clock locked so that it would not exceed 2000Mhz, and the dell 8gb card only got up to about 1850 sometimes 1930Mhz, so when 1 or 2 fps difference is observed, it's probably the clock speed.
He found I think 2 games where there was noticeable gameplay differences, The Last Of Us, and Resident Evil 4:
TLoU has since been patched and performance greatly improved: Apparently the 8Gb vRam is actually enough, even for TLoU.

Remember the whole stink was started by Hardware Unboxed using the unpatched TLoU and seeing the poor performance on 8Gb GPU's, but ignored the fact that just about every other game play's fine on the 8Gb cards. They made an assumption that new game must have "more betterer textures & stuff", so the 8Gb vRam must be why the performance is bad. Which has proven to be an incorrect assumption.

At some point the vRam amount will become an issue, but it's years away. Ppl still play with 6Gb 1660ti's. You just don't run it at "Ultra", which seems obvious to me.

Last edited:
There is no right answer but the 4080 is probably the sweet spot. While there might be an argument to be made that it is overkill, it is better to overkill now and run the card for a few years then save a few bucks and slam into vram limitations or fall short on frames before you are ready. Overkill gives you more control over when you upgrade next, because it gives you more headroom and reserve performance for future titles. Case in point: I run a 3090 at 1080p, which is overkill, but as a result I have had absolutely no need to upgrade since it launched (2020, 2021?) and see no reason to do so for possibly another two years. It also means no matter what launches, my PC can handle it and I am getting an optimal experience. It also means when I upgrade my monitor this year to 4k, I have the power and vram to move those pixels. You want to position so you can CHOOSE when you jump on a 5080 or 6080 or even 7080 card down the road and you are not in need of frames. Get the 4080.

I should add that VRAM is ALWAYS a concern and you absolutely do not want to run out. There is nothing worse than running out of vram, if just stops you in your tracks where you otherwise have the performance. You need a bit of extra vram so you get some longevity out of the card. Your resolution is HD, and you will benefit from higher settings but you will get shut down for lack of vram eventually if you don’t at least get a 4080.

Last edited:
4070 ti for 2k
4080/4090 for 4k

it really depends on your monitor and the games you play, like i play counterstrike source so 4090 is overkill at 1k 2k 4k, but it you play like cyberpunk and like to max things out for maximum visual fidelity at 4k, 4090

Reactions: pavel
like this
4070/ti, 4080, 4090 all good 4k cards, used 3080/ti are good choices too for 1440p/4k
I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade (my 3080) to a 4070 Ti or 4080 - I have a 4K tv and I want it for productivity and some gaming. The 3080 (so far?) is okay but it's only 10GB of Vram.

I'm trying to decide whether I should upgrade (my 3080) to a 4070 Ti or 4080 - I have a 4K tv and I want it for productivity and some gaming. The 3080 (so far?) is okay but it's only 10GB of Vram.
if you want to go from 50 fps to 100 fps magically yea, its worth the upgrade for latest 4k games, 8nm v 4nm tech, 50% performance increase over 3080

3080 is great for 2k, 4k it manages 60fps, good enough

you dont have to upgrade but if you have $ to do so 4080/4090 this gen is no brainer if you play latest games, if you dont and play games fine now… 3080 would be good enough imo

Back