Raspberry Pi 5

It's a nice upgrade no doubt, but at the current release schedule we'll be stuck with this for 4-5 years, to which I think is lacking. (my biggest gripe is no m.2 - i do realize other boards off this)

I'd also like to have a MiniITX Pi Pro for Dev work, something with at min 10x the performance of the new Pi 5, same IO. Separate thread needed.

Rpi business model:
- sell en masse for peanuts so the community does the testing & software
- once satisfied, yank and prioritize the big guys
- proceed to trickle out the device to the "average Joe" at stupid prices

I didn't even know there was a 4...

1695908925941.gif

Rpi business model:
And they're still in business for some reason

Aren't there a couple alternatives to the Pi's that have better specs? (having a brain fart and cant recall the names..) One of them had 64bit before Pi did even...

Aren't there a couple alternatives to the Pi's that have better specs? (having a brain fart and cant recall the names..) One of them had 64bit before Pi did even...
Yeah! PLENTY. Odroid, Latte Panda, CHIP... lots!
Some have beefier specs, some have stuff like HDMI inputs... But the software-side/testing/refinement wasn't usually as good as with the Pi, especially when Pi was actually available to buy for like $50.

Preordered RPi5 about before Jeff's video on it finished playing.
Don't really need it as but faster CPU and more ram (vs RPi4 4GB I own now) will be a nice upgrade when I do use it - maybe I'll get less irritated by Linux if it runs faster :)

They literally moved everything on the new board except the power plug. Ugh. So, you'll need completely new POE hat, heatsinks, cases, etc. However, I do like the PCI Express x1 so, NVMe is now possible.

I was really excited to see an RTC. Finally...

My company has talked about switching to a BYOD model for employee workstations for a while now. This will do nicely!

Rpi business model:
This.
And they're still in business for some reason
And this, all by design. 💸
Devices like this are what is needed to drive the ARM ISA forward on servers, workstations, laptops, desktops, embedded, etc.

Playing with RPi5 8GB since few weeks and so far I am quite pleased with it.
CPU is really fast compared to Pi4 - no longer it feels like underclocked Phenom I but more like early Core i5, especially OCd to 2.9GHz we are talking early Core i5 levels.

Compared to how it all worked in the past they also fixed system (also for Pi4 and probably earlier) for there to not be mouse stuttering or input lag... unfortunately in default configuration which uses Wayland there is bad design where mouse pointer is composited along with everything else and there is some kind of issue where compositor waits for 3D tasks to complete leading to severe mouse stuttering with heavy GPU load. Especially at 4K it all quickly causes severe mouse lag - fortunately its just in Wayland and Wayland is still not really not ready for deployment. For games it can be however used and nice thing about Linux is that I can start X11 session in one terminal and Wayland session in other and switch between them with Alt+Crtl+Fn - which for games is actually amazing because in this case game can be running completely separately to used desktop.

Seeing how nice it all works makes me wanna check Linux on my main PC
But anyways, RPi5 has much faster CPU than Pi4 but also all I/O operations feel more snappy. Running system from Sandisk Extreeme Pro and system doesn't feel limited by just using SD card. There must have been some serious work done to write buffering in there.

From bad things is that GPU feels underpowered compared to the CPU and could handle v-sync in browsers better when playing video.
Also I do not like increased price and active cooling. In time I will make it passive when its gonna be replacing Pi4 for home server tasks - it might require undervolting and underclocking but in this case even Pi4 which serves that purpose is severely overpowered for what it has to do so underclocked Pi5 will do just fine ;)

I started looking into getting one, but I quickly found that there really is a lack of good cases for the Pi 5's still. I'm looking for one that can cleanly handle a NVMe hat as well as provide good cooling.

Reactions: XoR_
like this
Personally I won't be putting NVMe drive to my Pi5 though PCI-e. If anything USB3 is fast enough for larger disks - it only needs to be as fast as ethernet and currently its 1GBit in my home router. With 2.5GBit LAN I would need ethernet card. USB 3.0 is 5Gbit so either its 5GBit for two USB devices separately or its shared between two ports - even in the worse case I only need 2.5GBit for the eth and disks. And this of the most demanding use scenario.

Other than that I do not see need for higher bandwidth.
Good disk is of course useful for system and especially for it not lagging on writes.
So far it seems read speed is sufficient for programs to load quickly and it would also seem there is clever buffering for writes because I can run compilation and apt install at the same time and system still manages to remain quite responsive.

Where it comes to cases though - fully agree.
Personally I want some all metal passive cooling solution like I have for Pi4.
It might be taller for Pi5 if it reduces the need for undervolting and underclocking while still making it possible to run 100% CPU passively without throttling.
Besides it feel nice when Pi is basically block of metal :)

Back