Radeon RX 7900 GRE Review

RDNA4 won't have a top end card, highest will be Navi 48. Rumored to be around 7900 XT performance.

More than likely they are going to package this in a "8800 XT" build for around 400-500$

Thus if you need a GPU now, 7900 GRE / XT / XTX are not bad buys. They will be around for awhile and some will have better performance than the top RDNA 4 card at least in raster.

If you don't need a card right now, and/or want to hold out for the latest and greatest, at least you know what's coming.

Personally, I'm finding the 7900 XTX performance being... less than I want. I mean it was a fine upgrade over my 5700 XT, but I'm not keen on skipping another generation. I'm not sure I want to wait another 3ish years for a high end card so I'll have to see what the RTX 5090 offers and potentially look into that for a future upgrade.
They're horrible buys, especially the GRE - a gimped 7900 series because of defective dies. Wow, I just can't even...

GRE is $550 and put a 200mhz OC on the RAM and it's a monster that rubs elbows with the 7900XT. It's not a bad buy.
Yes, 7900gre is not so bad, only if it were according to MSRP at my place...
Supposedly the powercolor rx 7900 gre hellhound is the best, low heating of gpu and vrm...

Yea that hellhound is a nice and cool one. I recently upgraded my nephews rx580 with that gpu and of course I had to test it. Too bad the memory OC driver wasn't available when I installed and tested it.

Price performance of that card for raster is one of the best in that price range and it does surprisingly well at ray tracing with the extra CU's over the 7800. Never got to test with memory OC unfortunately.

Price performance of that card for raster is one of the best in that price range and it does surprisingly well at ray tracing with the extra CU's over the 7800. Never got to test with memory OC unfortunately.
As far as I can tell, most models have vrm chips that allow 20 Gbps effective.
I haven't followed gpu for a long time, but those 7900 gre only recently appeared here at my place, they came out a few months ago as far as I can see.

Back