problems with router

Rustic

Limp Gawd
i bought a used Asus RTX A86U and im having some issues after about a month or so after installing.

i cannot see my security cameras if i am off of my network. i can if i am home on wifi.
Youtube randomly says i am offline.

i have downloaded the app or whatever and i can get on the dashboard but i really not sure what to look for.

any advice would be appreciated. thanks

i cannot see my security cameras if i am off of my network. i can if i am home on wifi.
This is normal unless you forwarded ports or they connect to a service outside your network which you access to view your cameras.
Youtube randomly says i am offline.
I haven't used the app in a while, but I think I remember this happening occasionally as well. Probably normal unless it's more than a second or so. If it happens for prolonged periods, you may be having connectivity issues with your router (dropped packets, maybe caused by poor signal quality).

On my router, I always reduce the broadcast power to 50% or less (depending on how excessive it is in the first place). It's usually way higher than it needs to be, unless your router is in your garage or basement and you have a 2-3 story house or mansion...and in that case having multiple access points is a better approach anyway. Reducing the broadcast power has the benefit of reducing the noise from reflected RF, as well as reducing the heat produced from components in the router (which also reduces noise), so it's always a win as long as you can still connect and have a stable connection.

This is normal unless you forwarded ports or they connect to a service outside your network which you access to view your cameras.

I haven't used the app in a while, but I think I remember this happening occasionally as well. Probably normal unless it's more than a second or so. If it happens for prolonged periods, you may be having connectivity issues with your router (dropped packets, maybe caused by poor signal quality).

On my router, I always reduce the broadcast power to 50% or less (depending on how excessive it is in the first place). It's usually way higher than it needs to be, unless your router is in your garage or basement and you have a 2-3 story house or mansion...and in that case having multiple access points is a better approach anyway. Reducing the broadcast power has the benefit of reducing the noise from reflected RF, as well as reducing the heat produced from components in the router (which also reduces noise), so it's always a win as long as you can still connect and have a stable connection.
Ok thanks
i found a thread on reddit that was similar to my problem. i ended up changing my WAN DNS to google 8888,8844 which i will admit, i have no idea what that means. i can now access my cameras when i am not home.

is there anything i need to worry about after doing this

Ok thanks
i found a thread on reddit that was similar to my problem. i ended up changing my WAN DNS to google 8888,8844 which i will admit, i have no idea what that means. i can now access my cameras when i am not home.

is there anything i need to worry about after doing this
Not really? That just sets the default Domain Name Server (which translates domains like your.network.com into ip addresses like 104.78.201.1). This allows devices on your network to access domains outside your network without you having to set a dns in each individual device configuration.

If you are averse to google, you might use some other DNS service on a different IP, but that one should work fine.

Back