Pixel 5 early news

Actually, it looks like I can still switch to Google Fi.

I'll wait til tomorrow and see how Verizon works, but if it's still some BS I'm definitely cancelling.

I'll wait til tomorrow and see how Verizon works, but if it's still some BS I'm definitely cancelling.
For what it's worth, I'm switching to mintmobile. For 2 phones it's about half the cost of tmobile ( 60/month ) for unlimited data. Same infrastructure. The only downside I can find is that you have to prepay a year in advance to get the good price ( so for the two of us it'll be 720/yr ).

A good deal over all, but still...that's a lot of dollars to plop down up front.

For what it's worth, I'm switching to mintmobile. For 2 phones it's about half the cost of tmobile ( 60/month ) for unlimited data. Same infrastructure. The only downside I can find is that you have to prepay a year in advance to get the good price ( so for the two of us it'll be 720/yr ).

A good deal over all, but still...that's a lot of dollars to plop down up front.
I was with TMo for almost 10 years before switching to Google Fi last year. In fact, GF runs on TMo’s network. The major difference is data pricing. I’m on WiFi 95% so my month bill is $25 for unlimited talk/text. My TMo bill for unlimited everything was about $60/month, but I never went even close to 1GB data each month.

I was with TMo for almost 10 years before switching to Google Fi last year. In fact, GF runs on TMo’s network. The major difference is data pricing. I’m on WiFi 95% so my month bill is $25 for unlimited talk/text. My TMo bill for unlimited everything was about $60/month, but I never went even close to 1GB data each month.
My T-Mobile family plan of 5 is $120 unlimited with $5 off 4 lines if the lines don’t use more than 5GB of data. So my bill during the pandemic for 5 lines is $100.

For the Verizon crowd, Best Buy is knocking off $200 from the price for the Pixel 5 down to $499.99.

I imagine you have to activate the line but if you are on Verizon and sticking with them you could save some cash.

32C43E5B-C5E1-44CD-83B6-43BB64DFACA4.png

So I got Verizon set up today. It was basically automatic once I clicked the button, wish it worked yesterday but everything is okay now.

For some reason I'm not seeing 5G speeds, but my apartment has horrible signal anyhow so I guess 5G isn't any better than 4G in that respect. I'll go outside in a second and see if I can catch the 5G.

Overall, I like the phone a lot. The size and weight are much better than the Pixel 2 XL, didn't realize how uncomfortable the huge phone was until now. The Pixel 5 doesn't sound much smaller on paper, but it makes a big difference.

One thing though, the top speaker for phone calls isn't great. I mean it works, it does get loud, but it kind of has a muffled / underwater kind of sound. I would say it is acceptable, but a noticeable downgrade from the Pixel 2 XL.

I did also notice sometimes I can see the lower resolution of the screen. It still looks great, gets bright, and the 90Hz is amazing. I would say the resolution is good enough, and if that helps with performance and battery life then it is a fair trade.

Camera seems pretty good. I will take some shots when I go out for a coffee in a second. Good detail on the photos, less noise (even when zooming in), and accurate colors.

Love all the little animations they added, like when pressing the power on the phone. It's a small detail but it adds a lot. So overall, I am happy. I still need to figure out what's wrong with 5G and I guess get used to the reduced call quality, but still a worthy upgrade.

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_5-review-2185.php

Pros:​

• Less bezel, more screen, more pocketable
  • Plastic-reinforced metal build with two-directional wireless charging
  • Much-improved display brightness over Pixel 4
  • Speakers are loud
  • Superb battery endurance
  • Pixel-only features like Hold for Me and Robo Call-screening
  • Finally, an ultra-wide camera on a Pixel

Cons:​

• Performance stifled by switch to Snapdragon 700-series
  • Recycled main camera hardware with incremental improvements to image quality
  • Limited to a single 128GB storage configuration
  • No "XL" variant this year

So I tested the connection outside. I don't know, I'm not getting 5G even in the open, and the 4G speed seems worse than my old phone (or at least no better).

Did speed test with full bars and only got 20Mb. That's not even so hot for 4G, let alone 5G. I checked the coverage map, I should be fine, I'm in a popular area of Los Angeles.

I'm going to call Verizon, maybe they can tell me something. Otherwise, do you think Google Fi would be better? I can't say I'm not a little disappointed at getting a new phone specifically for 5G and having it not work.

Initial impression: The 5 is a worthy successor to the 3. I've gotten 5g more often than I expected. Haven't had it long enough to comment about battery life. The screen is a nice bump up from the 3, with a weird side effect of the text being bigger.

Haven't used the camera a whole lot yet, but I'm getting there.
That’s because the resolution on the 5 is lower than the 3.
So I tested the connection outside. I don't know, I'm not getting 5G even in the open, and the 4G speed seems worse than my old phone (or at least no better).

Did speed test with full bars and only got 20Mb. That's not even so hot for 4G, let alone 5G. I checked the coverage map, I should be fine, I'm in a popular area of Los Angeles.

I'm going to call Verizon, maybe they can tell me something. Otherwise, do you think Google Fi would be better? I can't say I'm not a little disappointed at getting a new phone specifically for 5G and having it not work.
You have to pay for 5G on Verizon. Check your plan.

You have to pay for 5G on Verizon. Check your plan.
On my plan it originally said, 5G nationwide was included (not the mmWave, that is exclusive to unlimited plans).

I spent the last hour and a half on chat support. About 30 minutes of the chatbot and waiting, and 1 hour chatting with a real person.

He first claimed that I would need to get the $90 unlimited plan for 5G, and I said that was too much. Then he came back and said he'd give me 5G for $5/month extra.

After a long back and forth he claims to have enabled it (and I see it on the website) but I still don't have 5G. And I'm sure my area is covered.

So I'm really thinking about Google Fi right now. It's not so much about the money, I can afford it, but I don't like being nickeled and dimed and jerked around for stuff that should just work according to their marketing.

Verizon always had the best signal though, and reviews seem to confirm they are still ahead of the other options like T-Mobile or Sprint. But maybe I should give Fi a chance, I just don't want to get screwed.

So I still couldn't get a 5G signal. I'm going to try Fi and see if that's any better.

Tried to do it tonight, but because it's a Verizon phone I'll need to get a physical SIM card, gonna pick one up at Best Buy tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

Honestly Google changing its hardware release cadence would be the best thing for it.
Wasn't that something that was always complained about - how Google released same-gen hardware as their competitors, but several months later?

Of course, it could all be nonsense, and our complaints remain lmao.

Honestly Google changing its hardware release cadence would be the best thing for it.
Wasn't that something that was always complained about - how Google released same-gen hardware as their competitors, but several months later?

Of course, it could all be nonsense, and our complaints remain lmao.
That was definitely the complaint. All the enthusiasm for the hardware had subsided, so you were really paying for Google's design and software. This is arguably one reason why Windows Phone/Mobile failed — the phones were often using the same chips you'd seen in previous Android phones, and in some cases other very similar specs (the Ativ S was basically a warmed-over Galaxy S).

I'm not counting on this rumor being true, by any means, but it would be interesting if there were a Pixel 5 XL with a Snapdragon 875 and a few other flagship-level perks.

Well the Pixel 5 is mighty fast for normal usage. Messaging, photos, web browsing, checking email, etc.

I don't really play games on my phone, so I don't care about that much, but I bet it would still work okay.

My wife's showed up on Wednesday. It's quick for normal use. No different than my S20+. Battery life is really good, too. After a normal day she was still above 80%. It feels a hair small to me (especially after using this monstrous thing), but it fits much better in my pockets.
I'm still waiting to see a 5G signal near me. Apparently in Denver it's only in certain parts of downtown and both Verizon and AT&T have shaky speeds.

Got mine yesterday. Tested the Night Sight mode on the camera. The streetlight is actually not that bright. (Low wattage LED lamps).
PXL_20201030_002353598.jpg

My brother's GF saw the pic and thought it was some floodlight the homeowner across the street had put up.

So Verizon is bogus on this phone. I have yet to see the 5G icon anywhere and I went about on different areas of LA today.

Strangely Speedtest shows good speed around 75Mb which should be in the range of 5G. But actual usage is bunk. I was getting less than 1Mb on Google play and I can't even hold a phone call, either on data or the normal phone. It connects but the sound is choppy and I can't hear anything.

Just picked up my Google fi SIM going to test when I get home. I really hope that fixes it cause I love this phone otherwise.

The more I think about it, the more I think that *if* i'm gonna upgrade this round, I'd take the Pixel 4A 5G over the Pixel 5.
Slightly bigger screen (which I would like) don't care about the body quality, don't really even care about 90hz on my phone. The $200 off is a pretty nice point for me. Kinda sucks about the 2GB less ram and slightly smaller battery, but not $200 sucks.

Of course, and this is literally what its come down to - My Pixel 2 is still usable, even moreso since Android 11, and I think I'd rather get a PS5 now and a new phone later...

cybereality Have you compared the speakers with your 2 XL to see if the 5 is much weaker and quieter for media? Just curious, as the stereo speakers are a big perk on my 2 XL and wouldn't like to downgrade that much if I switched to the 5. Also, have you noticed WiFi reception being any better or worse on the 5? I've noticed WiFI reception is a bit weaker on my 2 XL compared to other phones and devices in my house and am wondering if there's much of a difference on the 5.

As of right now, I'm pretty much decided on the 5 to replace my 2 XL I think, I'm just waiting to see what deals Google and others have for BF on it. If it wasn't for the camera though, I would definitely be leaning more towards an 8T or S20 FE or something I think.

So the stereo speakers on the bottom are pretty good. They do get loud and music sounds pretty decent. I'm not sure they are any better than the Pixel 2 XL, but they are definitely good.

Wifi reception is really nice. I got up to 430Mbps, which is about what I would get on wired (I pay for a 400Mbps internet plan) and actually better than I get on my desktop over Wifi.

The one thing that is a downgrade is the top ear speaker. Pixel 5 is using some fancy under the screen speaker and, while okay, the call quality is not as good as a traditional speaker.

Overall, though, the phone is a nice upgrade and much faster for basic tasks (probably due to the 90Hz screen) and just feels nice to use (easier to hold, less weight, etc.).

One issue I had: Messenger was running slow. Slow to open, slow to open individual conversations ( sometimes as little as 5 seconds, sometimes as much as 30 ). Cleared the data and cache on the app, re-setup Messenger, rebooted and it's been working fine ever since.

I did do the transfer between my 3 and 5 ( which I never do ), so I'm thinking something in that process caused a data corruption error which manifested as slow opening.

There's always something new coming. If you want to wait, you can be waiting forever.

Not sure if this phone is cursed or what.

I went to Best Buy and bought the unlocked one for Google Fi (also Google said I could return the Verizon one since it was giving me problems).

Google Fi did finally connect, and the new phone seems to be working. But I'm still not getting 5G. Even worse, I'm not even getting a solid 4G connection, Speedtest has me at 5Mbps, which is pretty bad.

And it's not like I live in the boondocks. I'm right in the middle of Los Angeles, California. I don't understand what's happening. I'm currently transferring my number to Google, they said it might take 24 hours so maybe it will work tomorrow.

On the bright side, I finally have cell service in my apartment (though it is 3G). Verizon never got a single bar, I've been forced to use Wifi calling when I'm at home since I've lived here. So Google Fi at least has that going for them.

I still have both phones, so I'm going to keep testing it, the chance that both phones are busted is extremely unlikely. And I know 5G is fairly new, but 4G should still be no problem, this is like some Halloween prank or something.

DxOMark has released their camera review.
https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-5-camera-review-software-power/

The Pixel 5 is only one point above that “still mediocre” camera in the OnePlus 8...

Obligatory "DxOMark reviews are hardly relevant" comment.

I would explain why myself, but it has been posted here ad-nauseam before and the top Disqus comments there express why for the most part:

Ricardosambora2 days ago • edited
Another DxO review of a Pixel where I feel the scores dont tell the whole story. I own the 4XL, I have compared it to the S20 Ultra, P30PRO, OnePlus 8PRO, and for me it is still the best camera for shooting at faces, pets, food or objetcs for example, showing a level of detail, textures and color reality the others dont. The skin tones are always perfect, and it doesnt matter if your kid or cat moves (as with Iphones). I really think these reviews are too tecnical and not adapted to real word usage. For me it only competes in consistency and reliabilily with Iphones. Come on and how they review the night pictures using the flash and not the night mode? Who uses the flash in 2020?

Zachary Jernigan2 days ago
A couple things are missing from this, they didn't use the night mode to take the night shots. And they also didn't mention Google's new ability to adjust the lighting in post on faces. Couple of other features not mentioned is the Astro photography, as well as your ability to adjust the blur of the background and/or the foreground in post all of which is considered part of the Google photography experience. I recognize that that's not exactly part of their grading system but I still think it would have been nice to mention it as a site note.

Pesky persona day ago
These reviews seem very unreliable. Suddenly, there is part about depth of field. I don't know why and what impact on score does it have. Ok, Pixel has smaller sensor, higher depth of field...one advantage for Pixel :) On the other hand - in case of portraits, smartphones with flat and unreal "HDR" look are praised for DR and texture as a better ones?
And this review doesn't have night shots? Why?
Ok, lets see the results. P30 Pro with good tele lens, fine wide lens, prime lens with bigger sensor a quite superb night mode is actualy worse than this Pixel? Why? Oh, I see "*". New protocol. It is comparable? No? So why are all these smartphones in the same list? Could you make a link with a short and clearly understandable list of changes in protocol? And yes, I read your article about protocol changes..but still, in my view, there is too much space for subjective evaluation in pointing.

mikeydtana day ago • edited
I'm very surprised see the drop in quality for dxomark review. Usually I had expected non photography reviewers to go off on a tangent but here we are ... Won't repeat what others have said as they are all true for me. Sometimes it's just about the right amount of hdr. Personally I don't like full blown hdr but seems like reviewer likes it maxed out which I find unnatural. Just add, what's the point of shooting a pixel as what other brands users shoot? What's the point of dumbing down the way people shoot ... such casual users will not bother to read dxomark reviews. Why ignore pixel software features (high point of phone) and only test hardware (low point) when Google is all about software? I've always referred to dxomark for my dslr purchases but should I move to mirror less, I may hesitate do so. P.s. when compare pixel 5 vs 4xl, which Android versions (based on article we just can't assume both were ver. 11)

DxOMark continues to miss the point of camera reviews by not utilizing obvious camera features that anyone caring enough to read their reviews would use on the phone; i.e. Night mode and HDR+ (not standard HDR), where the Pixels continue to excel and edge out the competition in most samples.

Just put my SIM into this phone, let's see how it goes today so far it looks like a full-bar 5G

Back