PhysX delayed on retail

Not really delayed, rather that one site that was selling OEM cards was just told to stop.

Oh OK, I must have read it wrong. I'll edit the thread title to reflect. Thanks man

I think this is more and more of a gimmock the more i read aobut it. Honostly guys, who is oing to dish out money ona card that has no real world use yet?

How do I edit the thread title? I changed the title on the first post, but it only changed it for that post, not the thread?

2Gigs the same has been with many other pieces of hardware. Its not that the hardware has no use. Its that its come before the Software. As the Inq said one Dev said "I can max out a GPU" If this is the case then why waste allready limited GPU resources on Physics Processing? We should focus on moving forward. New Technology always has a high price. The only road block is multiplayer gaming. I would imagine that in multiplayer servers would have a physics rating. I dunno something to warn players that you need something beastly to play that. Whatever I know its going in my case and I allready have two sound cards, a GPU, and a TV Tuner.

{NG}Fidel said:
2Gigs the same has been with many other pieces of hardware. Its not that the hardware has no use. Its that its come before the Software. As the Inq said one Dev said "I can max out a GPU" If this is the case then why waste allready limited GPU resources on Physics Processing? We should focus on moving forward. New Technology always has a high price. The only road block is multiplayer gaming. I would imagine that in multiplayer servers would have a physics rating. I dunno something to warn players that you need something beastly to play that. Whatever I know its going in my case and I allready have two sound cards, a GPU, and a TV Tuner.
I think physics calculations will be handled by the server to ensure that all the clients see the same thing. If you leave it up to the client to do the calculations you may end up with incredibly odd results (especially when you factor in lag).

Am I the only one who's not looking forward to the PhysX cards? Maybe I'm just cheap..

dotK said:
I think physics calculations will be handled by the server to ensure that all the clients see the same thing. If you leave it up to the client to do the calculations you may end up with incredibly odd results (especially when you factor in lag).

Actually, that's not even practical yet. Synchronizing 12 boulders rolling down the hill takes up as much bandwidth as 12 extra players. Let's say you have a full 64 player BF2 server. Then someguy triggers a landslide. You now suddenly have the equivalent of an additional 100+ bandwidth eating players added to the game.

Also, collision and stuff still has to be done on the client side no matter what. Otherwise, you'll have rolling garbage cans and players passing right through each other.

Back