PC38X headset - USB dongle?

DarkSideA8

Gawd
I'm clearly misunderstanding something here. I am replacing an old Corsair headset (single 3.5mm jack) that I had connected to the computer via a USB dongle (DAC?). It worked fine, allowing me both sound and microphone functionality.

Problem is I just picked up a pair of PC38x cans and they don't come with a USB adapter. Bought an inexpensive (UGREEN) USB dongle that has both pink and green inputs - but I get only sound from it. (I need the USB adapter b/c the front panel audio ports are borked on my PC) None of the mic inputs in Windows recognizes any sound from the headset via the USB dongle (I've confirmed microphone works by plugging it into the back - so it's the USB thingy that's the problem).

Scrolling through the internet - I'm not getting a lot of good advice & don't want to spend another $150 on a headphone amp if I don't need to. From what I can tell, there's a mini-sound card in the USB dongle that should be converting digital sound to the headset. Again, output audio is fine - just not getting input.

Anyone know of a decent dongle that has two 3.5mm inputs that should work plug and play when I insert the USB end into the PC?

Thanks!

I need the USB adapter b/c the front panel audio ports are borked on my PC
I've confirmed microphone works by plugging it into the back - so it's the USB thingy that's the problem
don't want to spend another $150 on a headphone amp if I don't need to

It seems like you're trying to make things way more difficult than they need to be.

If it works from the rear port(s), then just buy an extension cord... Either one just for the mic, or two and run the whole headset from the rear and ditch the USB adapter completely.
https://www.amazon.com/HOOTEK-Headphone-Extension-Microphone-Smartphones/dp/B0CQR47LT9/?th=1

Those USB audio dongles should be a last resort for situations where you have no other functional audio solution. They are usually very low quality, and it doesn't surprise me at all that you are having problems with it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back