overall performance?

khanable

[H]F Junkie
I was wondering how well a miniITX mobo+via cpu would perform in just doing web browsing, chatting on trillian and listening to music. I've come to find that all I really do anymore is browse forums and chat on trillian and listen to music. Gaming is dead to me.

can anyone let me know what the eden 1.2ghz with 1gb of ram is comparable to in say amd or intel standards? how are these things for music playback? running windows xp?

thanks.

What type of a system wouldn't handle web browsing and listening to music? My Cell phone does that. What's wrong with the Comp in your sig?

absolutely nothing. it makes noise. tons of noise.
noise noise noise noise.

im sick of noise.

I hear ya. (Pun unintended). Should work great. You might be able to make a completely silent PC with one of those chips. Big case fans and large heatsinks do the trick.

Thats crazy! you have a pretty good pc at the moment. If its lound just change the fans for silent ones. its pretty easy. and a lot cheaper than buying a new mobo + cpu and wat not.

Edit: actually, you have a dam good pc. No point wasting money on sumthing rubbish

The performance is very, very poor by comparison to your existing PC. A 1.2GHz VIA CPU is like a 500MHz PIII or less in some cases.

As others have said - just get some very quiet coolers for your devices and enjoy.

More than suffient for what you're wanting, so long as you have 512MB or more of RAM. (Win XP loves RAM)

Buy the Via system, then sell your current rig, and you probably have enough left over to throw a party.

Buy the Via system, then sell your current rig, and you probably have enough left over to throw a party.

Exactly what I was thinking! :p

I am seriously considereing parting out this large noisey LL rig and going for the via with 1gb ram in that super sexy silverstone miniitx case..

Check out my thread. My C3 can't even handle a single person accessing Squid Proxy. It's terrible, I'm serious. Don't, and I really mean don't expect anything more than a cheap Internet box out of a VIA. It's slow and expensive, the only benefit is the extremely small footprint. It would be much cheaper for you to get a P180, four Papst fans, and a Scythe Ninja. Also, ditch the noisy ATI card. You keep your current speed, and get the silence of a VIA box.

You can get silence from your current PC for less than the cost of a VIA system. Do what I did:

Video card: Add a Zalman vf700 or vf900. Use the fanmate that comes with it, and run it at the lowest speed. virtually silent.

Motherboard: remove the noisy northbridge fan and replace it with a Zalman passive heatsink. According to the picture here, there should be plenty of clearance between the heatsink and the flat top of your video card.

CPU: grab yourself a Scythe Ninja as suggested, or you can pick up a Zalman 7000b (and run it on low with the fanmate).

Case fans: the lian li pc-7bw has a 120mm intake, 120mm exhaust, and an 80mm blow hole. First off, don't use the blow hole - if you can, close the hole, it just lets noise have a more direct path to you.

Next, replace the 120mm fans with something sane, like these 800-RPM Scythe S-FDB fans. You can pick up the 1200-RPM model if you really think you need it (at the cost of increased noise), but the 800-RPM should provide enough cooling power for most systems.

There you have it, a QUIET system, all for about $100. That's a lot less than a "usable" Via MiniITX motherboard costs.

Yea I guess you are right.

Dunno, the thought of a ultra compact fanless computer just had me going I suppose. I already run the 800rpm scythe fans and I do love them very much (even though the pressure sucks ass).

Oh well. Thanks for the replies!

There's still an advantage to the VIA system.

Low heat output
Low power requirements.

Personaly, if you are never going to play games again, you could get a cheap laptop also.

defaultuser has got the sanest approach. Exactly the same line I was thinking. Be careful with your noise management plan. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a few well chosen fan/case mods.

One more thing to consider: underclocking. You're obviously not that worried about performance, or you wouldn't be asking about Via systems. If total power draw is a big issue, you can underclock your Athlon64 down to close to a Via system's needs, and have way better performance. And that way, you can probably run your current HSF fanless.

Play around with it. Have fun.

InorganicMatter said:
Check out my thread. My C3 can't even handle a single person accessing Squid Proxy. It's terrible, I'm serious. Don't, and I really mean don't expect anything more than a cheap Internet box out of a VIA. It's slow and expensive, the only benefit is the extremely small footprint. It would be much cheaper for you to get a P180, four Papst fans, and a Scythe Ninja. Also, ditch the noisy ATI card. You keep your current speed, and get the silence of a VIA box.

;)

My C3 is serving an enterprise-class website, and it's not too bad. Squid is another story though. ;)

The NIC on the Mini-ITX boards doesn't seem that great, either. I usually find that VIA Rhine-based NICs are OK, but this one...

khanable said:
I was wondering how well a miniITX mobo+via cpu would perform in just doing web browsing, chatting on trillian and listening to music. I've come to find that all I really do anymore is browse forums and chat on trillian and listen to music. Gaming is dead to me.

I just set up a micro-atx K6-II 500mhz computer to do just that. With windows 2000, its decent. If the turd K6-II can do that just fine, I doubt you will have any problems with a Via chip at 1.2Ghz. I think I might actually get a Via board so I can crap it up with viruses and spyware, and leave my gaming rig as an offline virgin. Spyware and virus free... :D

bob said:
I just set up a micro-atx K6-II 500mhz computer to do just that. With windows 2000, its decent. If the turd K6-II can do that just fine, I doubt you will have any problems with a Via chip at 1.2Ghz. I think I might actually get a Via board so I can crap it up with viruses and spyware, and leave my gaming rig as an offline virgin. Spyware and virus free... :D

Or just surf under Linux from a LiveCD.

Back