Noisy Antec 430w

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
Over the last couple of months my new Antec True Power 430w has been emitting more and more noise. I can't really hear it except when i get close to the back of the case because i have so many case fans and HDDs running all the time. Its like a crackling sound in the rear 80mm fan. It sounds sorta like a piece of paper or a wire is brushing against the fan somehow. I've taken the PSU out and opened it up and looked the best i could and couldn't see anything that it would be hitting. I'm guessing its just the bearings in the fan but i dunno. Anyone else have this sort of noise in your Antec PSU? What should i do?

Heh, i guess there is a PSU forum now. They really need to reorder the selection. General Hardware should be at the top somewhere instead of in the middle.

My Antec 430W has been nearly silent for over a year now. My suggestion would be to contact Antec Customer Service and see if they can do anything for you. My dealings with them in the past have all been very positive experiences.

Only problem is that i had to cut the sticker on the side in order to open up the PSU and see if the fan was hitting something and the sticker says that the warranty is void if removed. I guess TECHNICALLY cutting the sticker down the middle isn't the same as actually removing it lol. Thats partly the reason i havn't contacted them yet. That and i dont want the machine to be down for a few weeks while i RMA the PSU.

BTW, has post count been permanently removed or just not added back in yet? Just curious as i see its not longer listed.

Yep, we got our own forum now :D

I don't know if they'll RMA for that anyway

Oh, and post counts are still there, just burried in your profile

I've taken the PSU out and opened it up and looked the best i could and couldn't see anything that it would be hitting.

NOT a good idea! You can easily electrocute yourself even if the power is off on the PSU. Also similiar problem happend at work. It sounded as if a piece of paper was rubbing or the fans were rubbing. About a month later no more PSU. It is a wise idea to go buy a new one and contact Antec about getting a replacement.

Dude people on here take their PSU apart all the time lol. How do you think they replace the fans in them? And sometimes you have to even take it apart to sleeve the wires right. I somewhat doubt there is enough electricity stored in the PSU to actually do any harmful damage to my body. I've taken several of these apart before. I'm just pissed my brand new PSU is crapping out because of a stupid fan. Its only been running a couple of months.

Has anyone replaced the rear fan in an Antec True Power before? What should i replace it with? The whole PSU isn't dieing just because the fan is crapping out. I noticed the wires were soldered onto a metal bracket of some sort inside. They ought to just use small connectors instead but i guess that would be too much trouble :rolleyes: .

Noone has replaced a fan in an Antec power supply before? Gosh!

I'm going to contact Antec and see what they think i should do.

In the meantime i'm replacing it with a new Antec TrueBlue 480w :).

I've replaced the a fan in my Vantec Stealth with an Antec Fan... one of the pretty tri-LED ones. Rather sacreligios, to be mixing archrivel brands like that eh?

Check out SPCR's forum for people who have silent modded their Antec power supplies. I put an L1A into my TP 380s. Worked like a charm so far.

Back