MSI QD-OLED Monitors 2024

Just a heads up, MSI is aware of Peak1000 behavior, not sure they will actually do something about it but hey at least they are "aware" of it so that's a start.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gamin...00_poor_pq_tracking_excessive_dimming_on_the/

1713978490981.png

I found an interesting side effect after switching the Power Button setting to "Standby". Panel Protect no longer runs automatically upon standby after 4 hours of use. I checked the OSD and it showed 8 hours 25 minutes since the last time it ran, so I manually initiated it.

Edit: Someone on Reddit said that it will still run when manually pressing the power button after 4 hours of use even with the setting of "Standby". I'll try that later today and will report back.

Last edited:
I found an interesting side effect after switching the Power Button setting to "Standby". Panel Protect no longer runs automatically upon standby after 4 hours of use. I checked the OSD and it showed 8 hours 25 minutes since the last time it ran, so I manually initiated it.

Edit: Someone on Reddit said that it will still run when manually pressing the power button after 4 hours of use even with the setting of "Standby". I'll try that later today and will report back.

I think you have to manually press the power button after 4 hours of use to get it to pixel refresh no matter what. Initially when I set it to "16 hours usage", the monitor clearly did not run pixel refresh and I don't have anything plugged into my USB ports at all. I know it did not run a pixel refresh because the monitor suddenly forced itself to do one on me while I was in the middle of the game and I did not use the monitor for 16 hours straight. I used it for a few hours each day and then once it hit the 16 hours of usage it simply forced a panel refresh without even giving me any option to delay it. After I started pressing the power button after 4 hours of use, I never had the monitor do anymore forced pixel refreshes on me ever again.

I think you have to manually press the power button after 4 hours of use to get it to pixel refresh no matter what. Initially when I set it to "16 hours usage", the monitor clearly did not run pixel refresh and I don't have anything plugged into my USB ports at all. I know it did not run a pixel refresh because the monitor suddenly forced itself to do one on me while I was in the middle of the game and I did not use the monitor for 16 hours straight. I used it for a few hours each day and then once it hit the 16 hours of usage it simply forced a panel refresh without even giving me any option to delay it. After I started pressing the power button after 4 hours of use, I never had the monitor do anymore forced pixel refreshes on me ever again.
It's been automatically running every afternoon the first standby after passing 4 hours. The only change I've made was the setting from "Off" to "Standby", and I found a discussion on Reddit where someone was discussing that being the case for them as well. I know when it runs because the power is off when I return to my desk, and that is how I noticed it didn't run last night, because the standby light was still on this morning, so I checked the OSD and noticed the time since last run.

Is anyone using these OLED's for productivity work? I know in the Reddit forums so many people say they are for gaming only, and to stay away as if you do any sort of work with static UI elements you will get burn in, but checking the accounts of the users saying this it appears that almost none of them actually own an OLED and are just sharing anecdotes. It seems there have been several generational improvements and software fixes such as the MSI OledCare suite to help address these concerns, so I'm wondering if a lot of these "stay away if you plan on using these for work" comments are no longer relevant. Just curious if anyone here is using one of these OLED's for CAD work or video / photo editing, and what their experience is?

Is anyone using these OLED's for productivity work? I know in the Reddit forums so many people say they are for gaming only, and to stay away as if you do any sort of work with static UI elements you will get burn in, but checking the accounts of the users saying this it appears that almost none of them actually own an OLED and are just sharing anecdotes. It seems there have been several generational improvements and software fixes such as the MSI OledCare suite to help address these concerns, so I'm wondering if a lot of these "stay away if you plan on using these for work" comments are no longer relevant. Just curious if anyone here is using one of these OLED's for CAD work or video / photo editing, and what their experience is?
Monitors Unboxed has started using an MSI 32URX for daily productivity. We'll see if they do regular videos about it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShRbArSGq1U

Based on anecdotal evidence, as well as RTings TV torture test: it seems like WOLED is a bit more resistant to burn-in.

It's been automatically running every afternoon the first standby after passing 4 hours. The only change I've made was the setting from "Off" to "Standby", and I found a discussion on Reddit where someone was discussing that being the case for them as well. I know when it runs because the power is off when I return to my desk, and that is how I noticed it didn't run last night, because the standby light was still on this morning, so I checked the OSD and noticed the time since last run.

I do have the MAG model and not the MPG model so perhaps there is some slight differences. All I know is that for sure I did not use my monitor for 16 hours straight (I never use my PC that long) and yet it still forced a pixel refresh on me which means it did not successfully perform one earlier when it was supposed to. Had it been automatically running then it should have never done a forced one on me. I use my PC more than 4 hours but less than 16 hours everyday. This is enough to automatically trigger a pixel refresh upon shutting down my PC so in theory I should never see the pixel refresh being forced on me, yet somehow I have and again I don't have anything plugged into the USB ports at all. I'll test this out again though, I'll stop manually pressing the power button and just let the monitor enter sleep mode where it should automatically run a pixel refresh. I'll see if it does a forced one on me later.

My plan is to get a triple mount on one arm and swing the left to center for gaming. I use the left for media and console/emulators now, so it will either be a black wallpaper with nothing on it, or media content.

I'm about ready to give up on the KVM and USB features of this monitor. I tried switching over from my work MacBook Pro to my PC as usual, but this time it wouldn't switch over the USB. The process I use is to unplug the MBP and then wake the PC from sleep, and it has been switching over quickly. Today the input changed but the USB didn't. I pushed the power button to toggle the monitor off and back on, and that resulted in my PC rebooting as well. Upon reboot the USB was connected. My keyboard lit up and I could hear the Windows start sound, but the monitor was stuck in standby. I reconnected the Mac so that the OSD would work, since it isn't accessible if it doesn't have an active input. The Mac connected with picture and USB, so I then used the OSD to switch input back to DP, and that again resulted in my PC restarting itself. After that last restart I had a picture and working USB.

That annoyance combined with the auto refresh not working when setting the USB ports to remain active in standby is making me think this monitor should be used only as a standalone monitor and just ignore the KVM functionality.

Majority of monitors KVM functionality are trash. I think people should keep expectations in check when buying a display designed for media/gaming consumption that happens to have KVM.

Sorry if that comes off harsh but I'm just getting tired about hearing about all of these monitors KVM implementations.

As much as I like the OLED panel I'm very annoyed by this monitor. In addition to the USB being unreliable, now it's getting stuck in a loop where the power light turns white for a few seconds then displays a No Signal screen and then goes back to standby for around 10 seconds. (This is while I'm not even using it. I've been working at another desk with my Apple Studio Display today.) Every time it does that it makes a clicking sound. Hearing that constant clicking was so annoying that I had to set it back to "Off" for the power button setting so I can actually turn the thing off. I don't think this is going to be usable as a daily driver, so now I'm trying to decide if I even want to keep it.

As much as I like the OLED panel I'm very annoyed by this monitor. In addition to the USB being unreliable, now it's getting stuck in a loop where the power light turns white for a few seconds then displays a No Signal screen and then goes back to standby for around 10 seconds. (This is while I'm not even using it. I've been working at another desk with my Apple Studio Display today.) Every time it does that it makes a clicking sound. Hearing that constant clicking was so annoying that I had to set it back to "Off" for the power button setting so I can actually turn the thing off. I don't think this is going to be usable as a daily driver, so now I'm trying to decide if I even want to keep it.
I have this same problem on one of my LG 4k monitors that only started recently when I started using it with a new Geekom tiny PC that I bought. When I plug the monitor into the USB4 on the PC to DP on the monitor, it does that same thing. It doesn't do it all the time, and it's really annoying when it does. I don't know what causes this, but the monitor didn't do this for years when plugged into my main PC and using a standard DP output on the video card.

Therefore, I don't know that it's the monitor or some issue with DP over USB or some other DP issue. My only solution thus far has been to turn off the monitor, as you have done on yours.

Looks like the Samsung QD-OLEDs will use physical heat pipes to cool the panel. Maybe they'll get brighter.

1000026184.png

Your monitor is just waking itself up from sleep for a few seconds then going back to sleep in a loop? Sounds like that thing is possessed man!

Your monitor is just waking itself up from sleep for a few seconds then going back to sleep in a loop? Sounds like that thing is possessed man!
It seems to be back to normal now, after powering off and back on, so I don't know if it was just a one-time thing or will become a recurring issue. I'm thinking about trying a different DP cable and moving my USB devices directly to the PC to see if that alleviates the issues I've been having. I think I'll be better off sticking with my initial idea of this being a gaming-only display, but having the KVM made me hopeful it would be a good daily driver to use for both work and gaming.

I also had the white lines issue again today, and I noticed that when that's happening the picture is jumping up and down by 1px. So the 1px white line at the bottom shifts the whole picture up by 1px. That happens only with the PC and not with the Mac, so I still think it's VRR related.

Absolutely no way lmao. Would be funny if it did though since they gimped everyone else who uses their panel.
Yeah based on the text description it seems to be there more for panel longevity. People at CES this year also mentioned that the Samsung models looked the dimmest of all 32 QD-OLED on display.

Yeah based on the text description it seems to be there more for panel longevity. People at CES this year also mentioned that the Samsung models looked the dimmest of all 32 QD-OLED on display.

PG32UCDP is the final hope for a bright OLED monitor. If that ends up being dim as well then I might just end up getting the PG42UQ if no PHOLED is announced next year. I'll go the rest of this year with the MSI though.

I switched the DP cable to a nice Thunderbolt 4 cable, plugged into my 7900 XTX USB-C port, and I still get the random lines, but now I also get a full screen artifact randomly when the lines are showing. With Adaptive Sync off it never happens, but with it on it seems to happen almost every time the monitor wakes from standby, and it also happens randomly during use, both in games and on the desktop.

Someone else just shared what appears to be the same issue with the full screen artifact.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gamin...1urx_picture_static_when_adaptive_sync_is_on/

Back