Looking for video card suggestions for Dell Optiplex 990

AgrFan

[H]ard DCOTM x2
Looking for video card suggestions for a Dell Optiplex 990 (i7-2600). Would like to use the stock power supply (265W) if possible.

I'm getting 45K PPD doing FAH CPU work.

If I upgraded the power supply, how high of a card can I go before bottlenecking? Is it even worth upgrading?

Looking for video card suggestions for a Dell Optiplex 990 (i7-2600). Would like to use the stock power supply (265W) if possible.

If I upgraded the power supply, how high of a card can I go before bottlenecking? Is it even worth upgrading?

I still have this Dell T3600 system available and will be a great upgrade in performance when compare to Dell Optiplex 990. Can do FAH cpu with 16 threads plus enough PSU (635W, gold rated) to run a 3070 Ti card. There are some reasonably price pascal gpus that you can get from ebay nowadays such as 1070 and above.

Can offer $20 (to cover my back pain and hauling this heavy stuff to the nearest shipper :) ) plus shipping cost. Just let me know which carrier you want to use. By default, I will use UPS ground as they are reasonably price and reliable.

Still in the same Dell case? Is that a mid tower or SFF case? Is that MB filled with proprietary wires? Size of the PSU enclosure in the case and proprietary wiring can be a challenge when upgrading those OEM boxes.

What are you planning to do with the gpu? You'll run into a bottleneck gaming more so than running F@H on that system.

Your biggest challenge is the power the PSU can provide for a GPU. You should look for something with no external power needed (6 or 8 pin). Only running off the slot. That's your best bet to keep within the power envelope you currently have.

Given all that, I'd recommend the GTX 1650 (DDR6 version if you can find it). Just watch as they make versions with and without external power. They make an SFF version, too, if you have a need.

I've used several of the SFF versions for HP SFF systems I used for office PC's and LAN/WAN gaming for the kids. Pretty solid 1080p gaming card. Limited to 4GB ram, if that's an issue.

I put three in an i5-4000 series "Orange Box" Steam tribute machine I have and ran it for a couple of contests, F@H and BOINC. No real issues or bottlenecks there.
20230604_120125.jpg

1685906813605.png

1685907050013.png

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Phoenix...fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685&th=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
System is a Dell mid tower (MT) with original wiring. 8GB RAM, 64GB SSD and (2) opticals. It's only used for FAH or WCG. I've been moving it between projects when WCG has supply issues.

What PPD were you getting running FAH? According to folding.lar.systems a GTX 1650 will get 425K on Windows.

https://folding.lar.systems/gpu_ppd/brands/nvidia/folding_profile/tu116_geforce_gtx_1650_2984

I can upgrade the power supply pretty easily since it uses a standard 24-pin connector. Just need to make sure the new PSU fits. Then I could use a higher video card. There are several videos out there showing the steps. It's pretty straight forward.

I'd been thinking either a 1050ti or 1650 were the best options with the existing power supply. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

1650 then. Make sure it's GDDR6 versus 5. For games/apps that are CPU bound it won't matter, but, for games/apps that rely on the GPU you will see the benefit.

1685928507678.png

Back