Linux-noob question: address for SMB "server"

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
How do I get the SMB address of my Windows G: drive, so I can use the Ubuntu backup utility? Drive G: is my "Backup 2023" drive, which I use for all my Windows backups. Sorry foir the really noob question, but I'm just now getting started with Ubuntu Linux.

Have you tried \\IPadressOfWindowsMachine\SMBShareName ?

Space could be expressed via %20 if needed

Have you tried \\IPadressOfWindowsMachine\SMBShareName ?

Space could be expressed via %20 if needed
I will the next time I boot up Linux. Windows is still my daily driver. Linux is a learning tool for me right now.

How do I get the SMB address of my Windows G: drive, so I can use the Ubuntu backup utility? Drive G: is my "Backup 2023" drive, which I use for all my Windows backups. Sorry foir the really noob question, but I'm just now getting started with Ubuntu Linux.
I _think_ what you're actually asking is how to identify your "G" drive while you're running Linux?

If so, there's no such thing as a "SMB address of a hard drive". There is a different naming scheme, though.
I think the first thing you'd want to do is:
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
And things should become a whole lot clearer once you get that and read through it.

Now, referring to a drive as /dev/sda1 (first partition of first sata disk) can cause trouble if you shuffle hardware around in your computer, which is why a special mechanism exists that assigns long-ass unique identifiers for specific volumes. You can view what identifiers (UUIDs) Linux assigned to each partition/drive by typing
Code:
sudo blkid

I _think_ what you're actually asking is how to identify your "G" drive while you're running Linux?

Yes, but maybe I got confused because I did a lot of searching before I did this post. But I'm not a dev or an IT guy, and I guess I have grown "soft" since I switched from DOS to Windows.
If so, there's no such thing as a "SMB address of a hard drive". There is a different naming scheme, though.
I think the first thing you'd want to do is:
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
And things should become a whole lot clearer once you get that and read through it.

Great!
Now, referring to a drive as /dev/sda1 (first partition of first sata disk) can cause trouble if you shuffle hardware around in your computer, which is why a special mechanism exists that assigns long-ass unique identifiers for specific volumes. You can view what identifiers (UUIDs) Linux assigned to each partition/drive by typing
Code:
sudo blkid
Fortunately the only hardware that I shuffle around is USB drives.

I still recommend at least skimming the Slackbook.
It's for Slackware (duh), but the core concepts are quite universal even nowadays.
https://www.slackbook.org/html/book.html
^ here's the Book in the form of a long-ass HTML page with pictures and hyperlinks.
Feel free to ask, we'll just eliminate the mouthbreathers as they appear.

I still recommend at least skimming the Slackbook.
It's for Slackware (duh), but the core concepts are quite universal even nowadays.
https://www.slackbook.org/html/book.html
^ here's the Book in the form of a long-ass HTML page with pictures and hyperlinks.
Feel free to ask, we'll just eliminate the mouthbreathers as they appear.
Thanks for this link. I downloaded this book as a PDF. 224 pages!!!

Back