LHC

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Are we going to do anything on this? Personally I think we should have something crunching on it just to get a point or two. Most teams under us probably wont even bother with it, so we can easily get some points if they don't join in.

Not getting anything from it though I think will hurt us. I can toss a % of my rigs on it and I think we can still gain on Cosmology if I do.

Got your PM, thanks.

Tend to agree. I moved a bit over to LHC today and will add more tomorrow.

Our stance in LHC has given us an extra 15 points while if we overtake the next position on Cosmology it would have only netted us 3 points if we completely ignored LHC. While I don't think we'll get much more out of LHC, maybe another 3 or 6 points, we need to grab those points while the event is going on. Once it's done we need to focus on YOYO to grab as much points from that as we can. We only need to rank 21st to get 15 points from it as well.

Agreed, I think there's more upside to LHC than downside to Cosmo although I believe LHC runs to the end of the pentathlon so I won't be able to contribute to yoyo. Unfortunately, my CPU firepower these days is a shadow of it's former self.

Anything helps. If I see we're holding strong on LHC I'll move some of my boxen over to yoyo.

That's weird. I have no issues at all getting LHC WU's by the 10s of 100s.

I never got the first LHC work unit on my sig rig

Were you trying to pick up vbox work rather than sixtrack? The server responds with 'no work available' if virtualisation wasn't enabled in the bios even after you've then enabled it. I learned this the hard way after not checking prior to kicking off my first rig.

This probably isn't the issue but thought it was worth mentioning as I seem to be getting better results with atlas than sixtrack work units and they only require a quorum of 1 to validate.

I am only getting sixtrack work units. Despite marking to grab atlas only WU's. Oh well. I have 406 pending results already and 733 valid results.

I disconnected and reconnected to the project the other night and started getting WU's, same as Skillz tho, only sixtrack. Better than the yoyo WU I was getting that was estimating 2-4 days to complete. I put my energy into LHC since yoyo will be complete by the time I finish a handful of tasks.

Note that for SixTrack requires quorum of 2. So there is a risk that you may end up with significant pending validation.

Atlas has quorum of 1, so you get the points immediately. However I don't have enough RAM on my rig, so I'll be running limited Atlas tasks after tomorrow.

Skillz, do you have virtualbox installed on your PC's that are trying to get Atlas work units?

Here is the config file that I used and works on my rig Win7.

There is a formula for allocating memory. Something like 2500MB + 800*(number of cores).

I think Atlas gives the most point per hour.

<app_config>
<app>
<name>ATLAS</name>
<max_concurrent>1</max_concurrent>
<fraction_done_exact/>
</app>
<app_version>
<app_name>ATLAS</app_name>
<plan_class>vbox64_mt_mcore_atlas</plan_class>
<avg_ncpus>8.0</avg_ncpus>
<cmdline>--memory_size_mb 9000</cmdline>
</app_version>
</app_config>

Keep in mind that pututu's app_config above will only allow you to run one Atlas work unit at a time regardless of how many you downloaded. If you want to run more than one at a time which should be OK if your system can handle the overhead, then you change the max_concurrent to how many you want to allow or remove that line altogether as it is not needed when you don't want the limitation. If you want to change number of cores used per work unit, you can do that as well by changing avg_ncpus line to however many cores/threads you want it to use.

I got VB installed for LHC, let's see if it pulls WUs.

EDIT: LHC is running Sixtrack

Last edited:
Did you check the server status page to see if there was work for the other apps and do you have them selected in your preferences?

All of the LHC apps except for SixTrack are virtualbox. So if you changed your preferences to only run sixtrack, you will not get any of the others.

I'm fully on with LHC but limited production. Switched from yoyo to Atlas this morning. Luckily, we didn't lose a spot in yoyo, otherwise I'll be banging my head. Yeah, the Italians did ramp up their production on the third day. We just barely hold our position.

According to 10ennesseeTony over at AnandTech, those that had troubles pulling work for Six Track on LHC are having better luck connecting to the project using the old project page which is slightly different. I'm not at home to look at my rigs which had preferences somehow changed..but I do see only 6 work units in progress at LHC right now under my account and about 90 or so pending...

Somehow my Atlas tasks are returning extremely low credits. For 3 or 4 cores, the time to completion hovers around 2-3hrs (more if you muliply by the # cores) but I'm getting like low teens to 50 points. Used to get 200 to 300 points and suddenly dissappear. Maybe got to do with some calibration of points? The bottom task is kind of weird where the Run time is longer than the CPU time. Being seeing low credits for the past two days... With about 1 more day to go, I'll probably leave this as it is.

upload_2017-5-17_12-39-44.png

Just in case anyone was wondering....

There is a slight lag with scheduling due to the large number of short tasks. We're looking into it. We had a temporary issue with the feeder, now fixed.

Please try to reset your BOINC client and do "update" if you do not get any tasks soon.

pututu, if I'm recalling correctly, ATLAS used the CreditNew scoring system which does adjust and typically sucks....

I had about 90 pending last I looked but I only had like 6 in progress due to the shortage. So, my boxes are working on Cosmology until they pull more.

I had mine getting nothing a couple times from LHC, removing it and putting it back in Boinc got me more

Should we switch to LHC with ATLAS?

We are close enough to close to move up a couple of spots.

Regrettably, the Atlas project FB positions are now locked after it's integration into LHC. If we were to crunch Atlas now it would count towards the LHC score where we are comfortably in second place with a chasm standing between us and 1st.

Also, after the pentathlon, I won't be sorry if I don't see another Atlas task for a long long time :)

Ok so no atlas. Anything else we could jump to in order to gain a spot here or there?

Asteroids@home, we are not even in the top 10 right now. It is GPU and CPU. At least nVidia is. I also think it may require double precision cards which is essentially any modern card.

Agree with Gil.

I'm still trying to gain a sense for the difficulty of acquiring points on each project but initially Asteroids looks good for after the FB Sprint. A number of the team seem to be already crunching away. I think it'll be a hard grind (the GPU tasks are low scoring compared to other projects) but if enough of us go after it, it could be quite rewarding.

Right now I'm setting my projects to no new work in prep for the sprint project announcement later tonight. I failed appallingly at bunkering during the pentathlon so thought I'd give it another go.

Asteroids@home, we are not even in the top 10 right now. It is GPU and CPU. At least nVidia is. I also think it may require double precision cards which is essentially any modern card.

I'm not putting out much, but I've been working on Asteroids and Universe to try and get us some points in them

Back