Is this PSU any good?

peltman78

Limp Gawd
Link

My current system is an Abit NF7-S, Barton 2500+@2100, Radeon 8500, 3 Hard drives, 1 DVD-Rom and one burner as well as 7 case fans.

In the very near future (read next week probably) I am looking to upgrade to an X800 Pro. My current power supply is a Enermax Whisper 350. The reason I think I need to replace the PSU is that on the current one if I overclock my processor any farther the system will reboot while running prime95. Also if I overclock my videocard to 300/300 which it used to do on my old motherboard and proc it reboots as well. Also the other day I tried to run Star Wars Galaxies at 1600x1200 to see how it looks even though I knew it would be a slide show and the comp rebooted. This has happened on several fresh installs of xp so I don't think it is a driver problem.

If this PS is not any good, what would you recommend and what would be a good place (read cheap) to buy one at considering that I live in Canada.

Thanks All.

Actually is sounds like a RAM problem to me, but that of course can still be caused by the PSU. E-bay is always a good bet to find PSUs, just as long as you search for good brand names.

For example, here is a good supply that is even a Canadian auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42021&item=3485450736&rd=1

Just browse around or search for the following brands in this section:
Fortron Source Power supplies such as Aopen, Sparkle, Fortron, SPI, FSP, Verax, Conrad
Antec
Enermax
Topower including: Vantec, Topower, OCZ
Sirtec including: Enligh, Thermaltake
TTGI/Superflower
PC power and cooling

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As far as I know, the steel cover that most quality PSUs have is there to block against unnecessary EMI getting out into your case, possibly causing more havoc. They're steel and ugly for a reason. :p

Vertigo Acid said:
Actually is sounds like a RAM problem to me, but that of course can still be caused by the PSU. E-bay is always a good bet to find PSUs, just as long as you search for good brand names.

For example, here is a good supply that is even a Canadian auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42021&item=3485450736&rd=1

Just browse around or search for the following brands in this section:
Fortron Source Power supplies such as Aopen, Sparkle, Fortron, SPI, FSP, Verax, Conrad
Antec
Enermax
Topower including: Vantec, Topower, OCZ
Sirtec including: Enligh, Thermaltake
TTGI/Superflower
PC power and cooling

I thought of the ram too but then it should not reboot when overclocking the graphics card I would not think. It is also PC3500 and is only running at a 190 FSB right now. Thanks for all the replies.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back