Intel still recommends using only a grain of rice/pea sized amount of thermal paste?

My best results have always been from spreading a thin layer, about the thickness of a sheet of paper, over the entire IHS. Kinda a pain to do (a tiny bit of solvent can help) but it consistently does the best for me and doesn't get excess all over.

So, is there really a noticeable difference between the two? pea vs spread? Or we talking 1ºC here? I'm not going to take apart my setup, but a genuine curiosity.

Or is just one of those topics like which oil is best for your car?

I haven't done enough tests of what the difference in temps are, but the difference I find is in what I'd call failed applications. With the pea method, I've had times where the CPU ran way over temp. It just wasn't getting the cooling it needed. Have to take it off, see the spread wasn't good, try again, etc. With a thin layer I don't recall ever having that issue. I spread it on, put on the heatsink, and then it works as I'd expect, the heatsink keeps the CPU cool.

sausage - lengthwise
says igorslab
He does mention a certain motion whilst installing the cooler for best spread
Ticker paste is recommended this time around for longevity due to the harsher temp ranges and worse "pump out" effect during cooling/heating cycles.

Last edited:

1678040804536.png

only too little really matters.

Back