HELP - Stuck In GNU GRUB After Removing Ubuntu

jfespinoza

Weaksauce
I tried reinstalling Windows over Ubuntu and it cleared the drive but failed to install Windows and now I'm stuck with this. I followed a couple of tutorials online but nothing seems to work. I typed the whole "ls" command to find the usb with the windows installer and tried "chainloading" the efi file but still nada. Really need to get this thing back up and running on some type of windows and then I can install Tiny11.

PC is a Chuwi HeroBox Mini N5100

PXL_20230611_051745970.jpg

What do you mean "cleared the drive"?

If you boot into a Windows install USB, go to Custom install, and then delete all the partitions on the drive. Then install Windows on the unpartitioned drive.

What do you mean "cleared the drive"?

If you boot into a Windows install USB, go to Custom install, and then delete all the partitions on the drive. Then install Windows on the unpartitioned drive.
Yes, that's exactly what I did. Then when starting the install process the PC rebooted and now I'm stuck here. The windows install drive will not load because of GNU GRUB. I've read 2 tutorials on what command prompt to run but they're several years old and do not seem to work for my situation.

Had to do the same repair process years ago on Windows 7 after uninstalling Linux. Basically repairing the Master Boot Record (MBR). Think I used the process very similar to the one in this link. Seems it still works for Windows 10 but not sure about Windows 11. You might need the Windows install media if your computer can't get into Command Prompt. Trust me, it wasn't nearly as complicated as I thought it would be or as confusing as the article implies. Was pretty simple and happened fairly quickly. Had a Windows install/repair disk on hand. You can download that from Microsoft. Hope something in the article helps you.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-mbr-windows-guide/

If you are seeing grub I’d assume you didn’t remove the boot partition from Ubuntu.

All day I kept stewing on this crap and when I finally got home I went into the bios and sure as sh!t the boot sequence was set to Ubuntu and second was set as windows recovery. I booted up windows recovery w/ a flashed windows 10 bootable usb and bingo bango bongo it all worked! Thank you those that gave suggestions. tordogs I read that article and will achive that for down the road. Great guide!

Last edited:
All day I kept stewing on this crap and when I finally got home I went into the bios and sure as sh!t the boot sequence was set to Ubuntu and second was set as windows recovery. I booted up windows recovery w/ a flashed windows 10 bootable usb and bingo bango bongo it all worked! Thank you those that gave suggestions. tordogs I read that article and will achive that for down the road. Great guide!

What prompted you to return to the dark side?

Back