Help me choose

Vertigo Acid

2(-log[H+])4u
My trusty Enermax is in need of a bit of a break, i've been running him with half the connectors taped up waiting for sleeving and w/ grills, all of which was supposed to be temporary for a few months now. I've narrowed my search for the perfect supply down to the following three choices:

TTGI 520SS
Enermax EG465P-VE
PC Power and Cooling 360w Silencer

Now first off I know I don't need a 520w PSU, but it's an e-bay auction for a great price( < $50 shipped)
The enermax is also a very good price, slightly used for $47 + ship
And finally the PCP&C, for $65 + ship

Opinions on those supplies?

Heres the list of + and - i've got for each supply so far:

Silencer:
+
PC Power and cooling, nuff said
Black Case
ATX Cable Sleeving
Active PFC
1% Regulation
200w combined
-
SATA connectors (I don't need them and they therefore are a waste)
Price, comparitivly

Enermax:
+
ATX Cable Sleeving
24-pin Connector = BTX future-proof(actually i'm asking the seller right now if it's 20 or 24)
200w combined, and high output +12v @ 33a
-
Nothing so far

TTGI:
+
Sleeving
280w combined :eek:
fan speed control
triple fan design
Price
-
Only 20 on the 12, which is rather low for that size of supply, but still way more than I need

If your're feeling a bit more spendy people have been going gaga over the 530w FSP lately. A lot of people have much nice to say about it:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-489&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=1

Note that Fortron usually underrate their psu's.

I don't personally know enough about the three psu's in question but they're likely top shelf items. The TTGI's have been known to have a weak +12v but there are pots inside the unit that can fix that. I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite out of the three you listed (mebbe the silencer) .

While you most likely do not need an FSP@530w right now keep in mind that power requirements are always trending higher. The extra $15-20 buys you a lot more quality voltage and future-proofing imho.

Edit: Vertigo: Come to think of it, everything i said above, you already knew, sometimes i forget who i'm trying to brainwash :D :D

well whats it going to be powering?

Ive got that enermax (runnin a 900MHz)
dansdata likes those TTGIs
and PCP&C ..well enough said

if its a modern mobo\fsb id pick the one with the tightest transient response
(which probably isnt the enermax) but if its a vintage board any of them would do

of course you already know how to check the amp distribution

:D @ Brainwashing.... ;)

It'll be powering the first system in my sig, poor Enermax, RIP until I revive you from your half-assed state lol.

I'm really leaning towards the PC Power and Cooling, and even perhaps the 410w model. Anyone have any acoustic info about the "silencer"? Quite by any standards? Oh, and also anyone ever gotten any custom stuff done by PCP&C?

well that K7N2 sports a 400 FSB
but the PCP&C Ultra Quites are the standard 5% voltage regulation (very high quality but still 5%)
and for the price youd be able to get the tighter regulation of the True Power Line at 3%
now if we where talking the Turbo Cools....at a 1% voltage regulation

as far a db goes not sure, few PCP&C ever get reviewed
slientPCreview is a good source for alot of "silent" aspirants

there are several members that have gotten custom PCP&Cs and said they where a great deal
I probably would have done that (Im having to do it myself now) but was in a hurry and I got a "special" model the 510 AG which sports a connector to power an AGP pro video card (not that I currently need it, the Quadro FX3000 takes a typical 4 pin molex as an auxillary and doesnt use the AGP Pro through the mobo) but I thought better safe than sorry later, even if I never use it, but that ruled out the 510 deluxe in black, wire loom and unless I was willing to wait, custom harness length

Hmm, didn't notice they wern't 1%, might have to get an Antec 430 then, and do some sleeving/modding myself. Or, I could always just wait a month for the next paycheck and get a 510 Deluxe. Yeah, i'll probably do that

well I wouldnt want to discourage anyone from getting a high quality power supply :p
but its not exactly the "infrastructure" investment it was a few years ago
things are changing from necessity with the higher power tolerances and need required in modern boards
and with the need to improve thermal solutions

on the one hand and already "in play" you have SSI (Server System Infrastructure) compliant EPS12V power supplies
(Which is what my 510 AG is) typical in server\workstation\dually
and has a 24 pin connector instead of the normal 20 pin ATX (and auxillary connectors as well)
on the other you have the new BTX standard (Balanced Technology Extended) coming down the rails

EPS12V V2.1 Design Guide PDF
CFX12V Design Guide (Compact Form Factor) PDF

a minor point at this time, but one that might influence your purchasing decision depending on your long range plans ;)

Summary
for a dually and possibly for other highend chips you might need now or soon an EPS12V

for BTX
As we mentioned at the start of this article, the BTX standard specifies the same motherboard connectors as we saw with ATX - meaning that ATX power supplies could be used in BTX cases and with BTX motherboards. The vast majority of ATX power supplies will not fit in micro and definitely not in picoBTX cases, but using them in a full sized BTX tower is a possibility.

EPS12V pin-out = Same as ATX 2.3 PSUs specs, which will be used in upcoming PCI-E mobos, and probably the first real BTX releases. I guess I don't really want to buy any non-SSI power supplies at this point, but at the same time it's impossible to find a proper fit wattage wise that still is EPS, for obvious reasons. So yes, I think I would get the AG, but chop off the 6-pin and get shorter cables. Or, the S2 would also be a possibility, I just don't know if the 8-pin on that one is keyed correctly for a 4-pin P4 connector, whereas I do know that the 8-pin on the AG is. Meh, sounds like i'm waiting a month.
Thanks for the feedback guys

Back