First Mini-ITX build..guidance+ suggestions needed

Dark Prodigy

Jawbreaker
Ok, I want to build a mini-itx system for as an HTPC using Vista Premium.

First I was thinking about this case..and it comes with an 80w PSU.

Now I've built many systems but never really looked at the mini-itx platform. So, I'm not really sure about performance differences compared to larger systems and components. Since I want a capable HTPC, 'snappy' performance will be paramount. It will also be networked via a wired network with my other household PC's..

I want decent performance at least so I'm considering this motherboard but I'm slightly confused with the PicoBTX form factor.

Maybe this mobo would suit my needs better...

I want a dual core if possible, 1 gb ram and I'll be using a 500GB HDD, and a slim dvd/cd rw drive. Will the supplied 80w PSU handle this? Also a riser card and a dual tuner PCI card. Need some suggestions.

That Pico BTX board won't fit - the card slots are on the wrong side, so even if it fit in the case, you couldn't use the riser card.

In this case, the riser card and the hard disk hang over the motherboard. That leaves very little clearance for a heatsink. This case, and others like it are probably designed with the Via ITX solutions in mind which are either passive or have very small active heatsinks. You need to find a heatsink for the CPU that is probably no higher than the I/O shield on the back of the motherboard.

If you're planning to run Core Duo + PCI card + 3.5" HD + slim optical, you're probably going to have some issues with an 80W PSU. HDs don't need much to operate, but they pull quite a bit of juice to spin up. The case has holes in the hard disk mounting area for a 2.5" laptop drive, that might be a better option. Here's a PSU calculator that a quick google produced.

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

With a low-end Core Duo, single SATA drive, 1 PCI card, and 1 DIMM, it recommends around 120W.

Sadly, you can do any 2 of the following thee options - small, fast and cool. It's seems its impossible to do all three in one machine.

At some point, based on what you are trying to accomplish, it might be better to go the microfly route or looking into a passive machine from someone like hush technologies. Be warned, hush is not cheap.. at all...

Thanks for the input... definately puts me in the right direction. But I definately will stick with mini itx form factor.

Back