Does Steam Deck certified ‘work’ through GoG or other launchers?

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
I think I know the answer already, and that it's "yes", but if I purchase a game through GoG or another launcher, I can get the same level of compatibility on that title regardless of launcher correct?

There is no difference between say Cyberpunk on Steam vs GOG that affects compatibility (or any other title) yes?

Theoretically, yes.
Cyberpunk on steam would automatically be set up to use Proton during install. Non-steam, you would have to do the work to get it to use proton.

I use the Heroic launcher for my Epic Games, GoG library and it works well enough. Definitely not as seamless as running a Steam game, mind you.

Theoretically, yes.
Cyberpunk on steam would automatically be set up to use Proton during install. Non-steam, you would have to do the work to get it to use proton.
Yes, I've watched videos about the hoops.

It does really give the Steam Store almost a vendor lock feel on Deck though, it's still nice if it works though it's more hassle.

I just prefer buying on GoG in general vs other platforms, especially when there is no cost differential. The irony is I don't have a Deck yet (waiting for v2 in 2 years or whatever), and it's an odd feeling to feel like even though I don't even own the thing yet, to a certain degree what platform I'm buying games on is affected.

This is mostly related into "lighter gaming" games that will run well on current Steam Deck or theoretical v2. The current game in question is Disco Elysium. Likely a game you would be totally fine with playing on Deck. As far as I can tell, should still be easy to get it on a Deck. I recently picked up Tyranny on GoG as well, and that would be another "should be easy to run on Deck" game.

I am not sure if this works for all, but I installed my GOG game to a windows machine, and then copied the game folder across to my Steam Deck, and went into desktop mode and did an add non-steam game to "install" it to Steam. I was then able to select the Proton I wanted and I added the art manually for the game

I am not sure if this works for all, but I installed my GOG game to a windows machine, and then copied the game folder across to my Steam Deck, and went into desktop mode and did an add non-steam game to "install" it to Steam. I was then able to select the Proton I wanted and I added the art manually for the game
Pretty much. You can similarly just download any GoG from their website directly and install it to your Steam Deck by adding the installer as a non-Steam game. Once it's installed, you change the launch target to be the game's exe.

There are various tools that makes adding artwork quick and easy. It's a bit to learn but once you set it up, it's good to go.

Admittedly, you really need to spend considerable time setting up your Steam Deck to fit your needs to get the most out of it. It's on the complete other side of the spectrum than say, the Nintendo Switch (unless you get into modding). If not for the fact I can simply clone to old Steam Deck onto my new OLED deck, I'd be less than excited to set everything up again (particularly in regards to emulation).

Pretty much. You can similarly just download any GoG from their website directly and install it to your Steam Deck by adding the installer as a non-Steam game. Once it's installed, you change the launch target to be the game's exe.

There are various tools that makes adding artwork quick and easy. It's a bit to learn but once you set it up, it's good to go.

Admittedly, you really need to spend considerable time setting up your Steam Deck to fit your needs to get the most out of it. It's on the complete other side of the spectrum than say, the Nintendo Switch (unless you get into modding). If not for the fact I can simply clone to old Steam Deck onto my new OLED deck, I'd be less than excited to set everything up again (particularly in regards to emulation).
I haven’t looked into emulation yet. Is it just a cluster of compatibility and trying to install from outside Steam?

I haven’t looked into emulation yet. Is it just a cluster of compatibility and trying to install from outside Steam?
There's something called EmuDeck, which I recommend. It's in all-in-one emulation solution. It comes with a large variety of emulators (including RetroArch) that are pre-configured for use with the Deck. It has a ROM manager which will scan for your ROMs, create a shortcut for that game on Steam, organizes it, and will automatically retrieve artwork (even for non-Steam games). So if you already have your ROMS, you can install EmuDeck and you'll instantly have a sweet emulation machine. The real advantage is that you'll have access to your ROMS in Game Mode, and the emulated games seemlessly blend in with your regular Steam games. Very minimum levels of setup on behalf of the user.

Emudeck is easy to use, you let it populate the disk with folders and then you paste all your bioses, prod keys, and firmware into the relevant directories and then all your roms for your systems before running the steam rom manager to download and apply all the artwork. Then you scroll through and pick ones that are blacklisted via dmca takedowns especially for the recent Zelda games and Mario Kart 8 and then click the right arrow on the edge of the banner to cycle through until you find one that hasn't been hammered.

This is the method I use, and I think it covers 99% of all GoG games. IIRC, there was only one game I tried that I had to copy the standalone installer over and install it via proton under steam. I am sure it was because of some runtime thing that got installed but I couldn't figure out which one/version it needed. The game art is really the only pain in the ass to do. I do it manually but I copy all game art to a folder on the SDCard so I know where it is. Updates are handled the same. I update the PC install then delete the folder on the steam deck and transfer it over via warpinator to the same directory. No need to redo the game art again or proton settings.

Back