Does anyone here actually use their TOSLINK port on their MOBO?

Another one of those "it just works" technologies. My Soundbar is HDMI ARC capable as it my TV but if I hook it all up with HDMI it just loses sync with the picture. If I slip in the TOSLINK...perfect everytime.

You've never gotten the sender is sending dolby or dts and the receiver thinks it's PCM fun, I guess. Had that happen a few times. Doesn't sound very nice, but doesn't happen too often.

Another one of those "it just works" technologies. My Soundbar is HDMI ARC capable as it my TV but if I hook it all up with HDMI it just loses sync with the picture. If I slip in the TOSLINK...perfect everytime.

Can't you adjust the out of the sunc audio on your TV? I can adjust the audio delay on mine.

Can't you adjust the out of the sunc audio on your TV? I can adjust the audio delay on mine.

I had some issue with audio going through a TV and then eARC to a reciever because the TV wanted to decode it rather than just send it through as-is like a good little TV.

I had some issue with audio going through a TV and then eARC to a reciever because the TV wanted to decode it rather than just send it through as-is like a good little TV.
I don't think those exist anymore because I would love I would love a good little tv. They're all ad-filled, slow, bloated bad tvs. It reminds me of antivirus software 20 years ago. I hope the market demands a simplified user experience again.

I can...but why should I? It's all digital wizardry isnt it? It should just work...like TOSLINK.

I can...but why should I? It's all digital wizardry isnt it? It should just work...like TOSLINK.

this:

Due to bandwidth restrictions, optical outputs do not support multichannel LPCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X – or high-definition audio such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Discrete 7.1 soundtracks are not supported as they are only encoded in higher resolution audio formats

Did you check you TV setting for HDMI audio passthrough? I have it on mine.

this:

Due to bandwidth restrictions, optical outputs do not support multichannel LPCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X – or high-definition audio such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Discrete 7.1 soundtracks are not supported as they are only encoded in higher resolution audio formats

Yes...and I don't use them. Never been a fan of gimmick surround setups. Stereo or GTFO. ;) I just set the audio on mine to 16bit stereo. Yet it still screws up. Toslink it is. I am aware that TOSLINK was designed for old Red Book standard and that's it.

This is the problem the fancy modern setup doesnt work. The old obsolete one does. Not to worry.

Last edited:
I would use it if I didn't have a SoundBlaster AE-9. I use the optical out from that to feed my external DAC. Part of the reason for getting the AE-9 was using alchemy for retro gaming as EAX sounds very good in old games while the software only path is so-so in quality. All gaming use is 2 channel PCM with high quality headphones (not gaming headsets) run from a good amp. Galvanic isolation from the PC is a major benefit of optical and you also avoid the USB-buffer lag (typically 20-40 ms depending on settings).

Did you check you TV setting for HDMI audio passthrough? I have it on mine.
Yeah, I had to enable that and the problems went away. But I don't really understand why it tried in the first place.

Yeah, I had to enable that and the problems went away. But I don't really understand why it tried in the first place.
The only disadvantage with pass through is that you can't adjust the volume on the PC and have to grab the remote for the AV receiver.

The only disadvantage with pass through is that you can't adjust the volume on the PC and have to grab the remote for the AV receiver.

If it's using regular ARC, that requires HDMI-CEC to be enabled, which means the tv remote can adjust the receiver volume. eARC doesn't require CEC, but I don't see why I'd want the tv to decode audio, adjust the volume and send it to the receiver if CEC wasn't enabled; ugh. But who knows what's going through the minds of people making TVs.

If it's using regular ARC, that requires HDMI-CEC to be enabled, which means the tv remote can adjust the receiver volume. eARC doesn't require CEC, but I don't see why I'd want the tv to decode audio, adjust the volume and send it to the receiver if CEC wasn't enabled; ugh. But who knows what's going through the minds of people making TVs.

True most of the time but CEC have it's own hiccup from time to time. The Samsung remote will turn off the receiver when I turn off the TV but it won't turn on the receiver when I turn on the TV and I still have to grab my receiver remote when I want to change source but it's not a big deal.

Speaking of TOSLINK - today, my work gave me this perfectly good conditioned Marantz receiver for free

PXL_20230818_233632331.jpg
PXL_20230818_233640990.jpg

No HDMi ports. But optical is definitely on it. Nice little updated receiver for my comp, saves a little space too and looks better.

Last edited:
I dislike having a phantom monitor on my system and don't use surround content on pc so no real need so still using optical like I've been for 20+ years lol. I think I might pick up a USB headphone dac in the near future though but obviously that's not surround capable either.

A lot of games support positional audio now and I also use my PC to watch media. Sure I can watch it on my living room home theater system but there're times that I just want to take a short break or watch drama that would not require a big screen. So I have a small home theater system setup for my PC.

I tried connecting all HDMI devices to the TV and then doing TOSLINK from the TV to my Z-5500, but the direct channel audio from the AE-5 still sounds better from my PC. Audio from the consoles and Blu-ray player are HDMI to TV, TOSLINK to Z-5500.

Random thing I remembered.

In case someone needs an optical output, but doesn't want to shell out serious money for a USB DAC or PCIe soundcard, one can find something like this:
IMG_20230821_210657496.jpg

This one in particular is a kind of evaluation/mess around board with the PCM2704 DAC by Texas Instruments.
It's pretty meh analog-wise, but it also features electrical digital out and optical out.

It cost me $10 in 2015, so there are surely better ones out there now. They behave just like any other soundcard in Windows/Linux - you don't have to actually use the onboard buttons. Drivers are baked-in to all OS' out there.

I use the TOSLINK on my sound card in my TV streaming PC to my Denon receiver (on top of HDMI). HBOMax removed bitstream audio from HDMI unless you pay more (screw that, worked for years), but I can get 5.1 still when streaming using the TOSLINK with my SoundBlaster card in that PC so it still sounds great.

As for my gaming PC, I use the 5.1 analog hookups on my AE-7 to my z906 speaker setup for gaming, but for music will switch over to the TOSLINK channel for better sound for music. TOSLINK will add a minimal latency when gaming, so I avoid using it there.

Back