Difference between AMD's BIOS GPU Boost Turbo vs Extreme?

seward

n00b
Not sure exactly where to put this, it's a question about overclocking an integrated graphics processing unit (iGPU) through a motherboard's BIOS. Specifically, I'm trying to overclock/tweak the iGPU on my AMD Ryzen 5 4600G, which I believe is a Radeon Vega 7.

This can be done through software and BIOS, and I'm trying to do it through BIOS. In the BIOS of my Asus Prime B550-PLUS motherboard, the non-default options for GPU Boost are Turbo, Extreme, and Manual. I'd like to try the two pre-sets, Turbo and Extreme, before I go ahead and overclock/tweak manually. According to the BIOS explanation, Turbo is for "3D performance", while Extreme is for "improved visual image". Would anyone know what the differences are between the two, in terms of actual specs (e.g. what clock/voltage changes they make)? Is Extreme something like Turbo X 2, or does it apply different tweaks, for applications other than gaming? I love eye candy, and if the choice is eye candy or super-smooth, I choose the former (that's eye candy). Would anyone have any info about this that goes a little deeper than AMD/Asus' confirmation that the option exists?

Why not just go dedicated gpu? An rx570 can be had for less than $75.00 on the used market and that will destroy your onboard graphics performance wise.

Why not just go dedicated gpu? An rx570 can be had for less than $75.00 on the used market and that will destroy your onboard graphics performance wise.

I'm probably going to do that eventually, but right now, I'm mostly playing old games (Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander 1/2, StarCraft 2) or less-demanding newer games, like Factorio, and I'm playing them on a 1920x1080 monitor. Those games play surprisingly well through the igpu, maxed out, and they respond really well to cpu/igpu oc'ing and tweaking. I want to see how far I can take a budget rig....eventually, yeah, I'll pick up a card and a new monitor (I hope).

I actually answered my own question, at least partly. Turbo bumps the stock igpu clock from 1900mz to 2200, and Extreme bumps it to 2300 (HWinfo). Both of them raise igpu volts to 1.5+, which makes me think I should do the voltage manually.

Back