DELL XPS or Alienware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tycoot said:
lol why are people always out to get other people on online forums, heres what i have going starting tomorrowing morning at 6am: a funeral in florida (i live in IL) i'll be there a week. currently im moving to st louis, i have to pack, goto school and finish registration i have to drive an hour and a half about 5 different times in a week period, work 40+ hours a week, i also have soccer conditioning starting next week. between me figuring out which system i want to go with and pricing it all, you do all of that and find the time to sit down and build a new computer (last compuer i built was 3 years ago i believe when nforce came out and amd 2100s and what not) will take me sometime, sli which i have no clue about not sure how that 100% configures/installs, also last i check it takes 30mins or so do to a windows install i believe? so good luck in 45mins jackass also do you even take time to rotue wires in 45mins? before you speak think about what your saying

I said get it to boot in 45 minutes, jackass. I said nothing about windows. So before you speak think about what you are saying next time. Thanks. Also, its not that hard to route wires. Anyone with an IQ over 5 can do it in 10 minutes or less.

Alienware seems to cost on the high-side. Dell seems to as well for their gaming PC's only. They're great for the budget boxes, and I'm sure the expensive ones are nice too... just the gamer rigs a bit much. Then you are strictly going intel. I like to have choice.

I dunno man... when I saw those ABS boxes I was like wow! Now I have a PC I can suggest to people who would want a gamer... and I won't feel quilty they are getting ripped off, hence forcing me into building it myself or not feeling warm inside. Seem to finally settle my desire to get my not so close friends a great box, non-propietary, for a fair price WITH few obligations after the fact.

Hope this forum goes well for y'all! I know what the concerns are. I've seen people advised into building their co's office computers in [H] forums (HELL NO!!!)!! I can see how it quickly snowballs on both sides after. My "thrown together computer is amateur" or something!! I'm beyond your factory line worker if for no other reasons than a loving hand (i.e. look under a factory applied nb sink). Not everyone wants to be obsessed.

Bit of a mainstreaming of the site but this isn't a niche site like XS and what not. Kyle's got to eat! So I guess gaming hardware with two cups of OC mixed in would be a good category? Alright I ramble now.

Dell does rip you off.. My sister got a gateway for $500 less than a dell of the same specs.

cell_491 said:
dude i said tech support...for most companies the rma department is seperate from the tech support department. Anyway i dont see your problem with my post i havent told the guy to build his own so bug off
Tech's authorize RMAs. You still haven't answered my question.

Morley said:
Tech's authorize RMAs. You still haven't answered my question.
you should be banned for being an ************ (you decide what word that is). All i said was you can get great tech support on these forums i didnt say that was a reason to build his own or anything.

For what it's worth, I've had a good experience using Dell warranties on their laptops. The battery stopped holding a charge, and 2 days after my 15-minute phone call I had a new one in my hands. My father has also had good experience with their on-site service. But, having said that... you should rely on the [H] tech-savvy friends and for desktop tech support - warranties are not worth the cost. Laptops still use proprietary parts (mostly) and tend to be abused more thoroughly, and the warranty is already built into the cost.

-SEAL

elite.mafia said:
Dell does rip you off.. My sister got a gateway for $500 less than a dell of the same specs.

Gateway is also perrenially rated among the lowest of all pieces of crap by Consumer Reports and the only people I've known who own them hate them.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
Gateway is also perrenially rated among the lowest of all pieces of crap by Consumer Reports and the only people I've known who own them hate them.
also sray away from compaq or hp

one of my first comps was a gateway and it almost turned me away from home computers altogether, but it was quite some time ago (windows 95) . I think all computers were a bit buggy that you could buy enmass at that time.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:

Consumer reports doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to comptuers. I've worked on just about every brand there is, I can say that Gateway isn't the worst you could get by any stretch of the imagination.

I can't speak too much about desktop support in the consumer market. Business support wise HP/Compaq is second to no one that I know if. I deal with them on parts related issues all the time. I've delt with some other commercial systems, but anyway. From a hardware standpoint, the Gateway isn't that bad. They don't make anything in the system. Software wise, yes they suck. As do all the consumer OEM's. Dell probably being the best about not loading your PC with useless shit.

cell_491 said:
also sray away from compaq or hp

Do you have some reason for saying this? Or are you going off 5+ year old information?

The Presario used to suck ass. Theres no getting around it. HP's always been one of the better OEM's when it comes to hardware. Support wise, both HP and Compaq have always been good.

I used to refurbish HP's and Compaq units when they were still seperate companies. They were pleasant to deal with. They were also one of the only manufacturers that didn't require a receipt in order to honor a customers warranty. The same holds true today.

Now, they've got a program for the retail systems called HP Rapid Repair, which allows service centers to use pre-authorized non-OEM replacement hardware pulled from the retail floor if need be to repair a unit, in order to expedite a repair. No other manufacturer makes warranty repair easier.

As to their quality, they aren't perfect, but they are better than 75% of the other units out there. For example, they are alot better than Sony. Sony crams their units full of bullshit hardware and software that is buggy and problem ridden. Their hardware is usually plagued with all kinds of BIOS and firmware issues, especially on the notebooks. Not to mention they use cheaper and more fragile plastics than their competetors.

I could go further off on my tangent here, but I'll stop. Point is, HP and Compaq aren't deserving of the reputation many people give them. Not any longer. You could do ALOT worse.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Consumer reports doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to comptuers. I've worked on just about every brand there is, I can say that Gateway isn't the worst you could get by any stretch of the imagination.

I can't speak too much about desktop support in the consumer market. Business support wise HP/Compaq is second to no one that I know if. I deal with them on parts related issues all the time. I've delt with some other commercial systems, but anyway. From a hardware standpoint, the Gateway isn't that bad. They don't make anything in the system. Software wise, yes they suck. As do all the consumer OEM's. Dell probably being the best about not loading your PC with useless shit.
yea ive heard compaq makes great servers and stuff but their home pc's BLOW

cell_491 said:
you should be banned for being an ************ (you decide what word that is). All i said was you can get great tech support on these forums i didnt say that was a reason to build his own or anything.
You're the only one getting upset here. I asked rhetorical questions to get you to think, if that qualifies me as an asshole in your book, I'm not bothered by it. And I seriously doubt Kyle's going to ban an editor of his for asking questions.

cell_491 said:
yea ive heard compaq makes great servers and stuff but their home pc's BLOW

Their servers and commercial equipment are excellent. Their home PC's are much better than they once were. Alot of techs may even say they don't like them. Take that with a grain of salt. They'll see alot more of them, just like I see alot of Dell's. The reason for that is simple. They outsell the other PC makers by a large margin. That means more of them end up in the shop.

As to consumer reports, HP, Compaq, and other OEM's throw alot of BS software on their machines which does account for alot of the perceived problems that retail units will have.

For example, Gateway has chosen to add Symantec and McAfee products to their machines. Those two companies programs do not co-exist easily. This is a poor decision on Gateway's part.

Sir-Fragalot said:
For example, Gateway has chosen to add Symantec and McAfee products to their machines. Those two companies programs do not co-exist easily. This is a poor decision on Gateway's part.
Tell me about it. I have a 9310XL from them that I'm reviewing right now, and the first thing I did was uninstall McAfee. What a cluster-fark.

Morley said:
You're the only one getting upset here. I asked rhetorical questions to get you to think, if that qualifies me as an asshole in your book, I'm not bothered by it. And I seriously doubt Kyle's going to ban an editor of his for asking questions.
did i call you an asshole?...really, you shouldnt have such a low oppinion of yourself. I never said hardforums could rma his stuff i just said that it can provide excellent tech support, so stop being an ***********************.

cell_491 said:
did i call you an asshole?...really, you shouldnt have such a low oppinion of yourself. I never said hardforums could rma his stuff i just said that it can provide excellent tech support, so stop being an ***********************.

You're on thin ice, son... :rolleyes:

BossNoodleKaboodle said:

When I was 10 my dad bought a gateway. That was 8 years ago and it still runs. I'd rather buy a gateway then a POS overpriced Dell or Alienware.

cell_491 said:
Grow up.

Morley said:
you grow up...do you know how childish it sounds when you keep pushing me to answer a rehtorical question? I didnt write my original post just so you could piss on it, all i said was hardforums provide excellent tech support then you get all self righteous and crap. :rolleyes:

Sir-Fragalot said:

Do you have some reason for saying this? Or are you going off 5+ year old information?

The Presario used to suck ass. Theres no getting around it. HP's always been one of the better OEM's when it comes to hardware. Support wise, both HP and Compaq have always been good.

I used to refurbish HP's and Compaq units when they were still seperate companies. They were pleasant to deal with. They were also one of the only manufacturers that didn't require a receipt in order to honor a customers warranty. The same holds true today.

Now, they've got a program for the retail systems called HP Rapid Repair, which allows service centers to use pre-authorized non-OEM replacement hardware pulled from the retail floor if need be to repair a unit, in order to expedite a repair. No other manufacturer makes warranty repair easier.

As to their quality, they aren't perfect, but they are better than 75% of the other units out there. For example, they are alot better than Sony. Sony crams their units full of bullshit hardware and software that is buggy and problem ridden. Their hardware is usually plagued with all kinds of BIOS and firmware issues, especially on the notebooks. Not to mention they use cheaper and more fragile plastics than their competetors.

I could go further off on my tangent here, but I'll stop. Point is, HP and Compaq aren't deserving of the reputation many people give them. Not any longer. You could do ALOT worse.

Hey Einstien why don't you go up to your local Best Buy and pull down the cheap little door on the front of ANY HP computer, or slide any one of their useless, easily broken pannels and see just how it sticks and doesn't open with anything resembling smoothness. Their cases are the cheapest pieces of shit in the world. Emachines is a billion times better and they're total crap too. If that wasn't convincing enough, my friend who kept his rather new piece of shit HP in an air conditioned room and didn't load its PSU had it blow up on him and he had to send it all the way back to HP for a replacement. What a pain in the ass that was. My ex producer had one that got a virus, and being computer illiterate, she sent it to them and they promised to reinstall Windows for her. They didn't. They just did the recovery partition, which was also infected and sent it back to her. Their service and support is CRAP. My neighbor had an HP which is sitting in the garage now, because he bought my old PC as a replacement. It just mysteriously died and wouldn't post or boot and no amount of diagnostics could locate the problem. I know what the problem was. I told nim many times: 'It's an HP."

You couldn't do much worse than any of that BS. Get a Dell. Get an Alienware before you get an HP/Comcrap computer. The HP cases are enough reason to stay away. They're the nastiest, cheapest, most flimsy and easily broken pieces of crap in the world. Even the pre-modded junk is better.

HP desktops are laughable crap... their laptops are okay.

I really don't dig the whole cheap plastic look. It seems so 1998.

Zinn said:
HP desktops are laughable crap... their laptops are okay.

I really don't dig the whole cheap plastic look. It seems so 1998.

That look has never beein in, HP is just shit until you get to their SuperDome.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
Hey Einstien why don't you go up to your local Best Buy and pull down the cheap little door on the front of ANY HP computer, or slide any one of their useless, easily broken pannels and see just how it sticks and doesn't open with anything resembling smoothness. Their cases are the cheapest pieces of shit in the world. Emachines is a billion times better and they're total crap too. If that wasn't convincing enough, my friend who kept his rather new piece of shit HP in an air conditioned room and didn't load its PSU had it blow up on him and he had to send it all the way back to HP for a replacement. What a pain in the ass that was. My ex producer had one that got a virus, and being computer illiterate, she sent it to them and they promised to reinstall Windows for her. They didn't. They just did the recovery partition, which was also infected and sent it back to her. Their service and support is CRAP. My neighbor had an HP which is sitting in the garage now, because he bought my old PC as a replacement. It just mysteriously died and wouldn't post or boot and no amount of diagnostics could locate the problem. I know what the problem was. I told nim many times: 'It's an HP."

You couldn't do much worse than any of that BS. Get a Dell. Get an Alienware before you get an HP/Comcrap computer. The HP cases are enough reason to stay away. They're the nastiest, cheapest, most flimsy and easily broken pieces of crap in the world. Even the pre-modded junk is better.

Finally, someone who realizes shit isnt as shitty as a HP system. I've been saying it all a long.

This thread is done. I want to thank everyone who turned it into a shithole. Anyone that called a name has been banned for one week.

I suggest you all look at your behavior here and learn to discuss things in an adult manner. These bullshit blanket posts of "company X is shit" will not fly with me. Either you state your case in an adult manner with the logic to back it up or you will be banned.

I will not tolerate idiocy and childlike arguing in this forum. You are all warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back