Curious about M-ITX hardware

johnjohn

Limp Gawd
I'm intersted in building one for web browsing, file servering , and storage of music

Via Epia M10000
1GHz Stock Via Epia CPU
1GB DDR400 Stick
Drive Cage consisting of 5x 400GB Sata

Pretty sure that all the Epia M boards only have IDE connectors, so you'll need a SATA controller that will support your 5 drives. This will take your one PCI slot, which probably isn't a big deal for a file server though.

Finding an mITX case that fits 5 drives is going to be quite a challenge. The only case that I can think of minus a rackmount one that would fit so many is this one, and it technically isn't an mITX one. As for hard drive controllers, I would recommend getting one of these if you do not plan on doing anything other than JBOD. Otherwise it looks pretty good. Hope you have fun building it!

m2h said:
But any ATX or mATX case supports a mini-ITX board.
If you do that, you might as well get an ATX or mATX motherboard as it would be cheaper in the end. Kinda ruins the point of having an mITX system.

Also, if you get an EPIA CN board, you won't have to get an expensive hard drive controller card with more than 4 ports as it already has 2 built in SATA ports.

How about MiniITX case, SATA adapter with eSATA plug, and an eSATA enclosure?

How about some plexiglass, screws, and a dremel. Should be able to make a case.

Back