Creating "Blank" XP Images for use in Virtual Servers

Arceon

Weaksauce
Does anyone know how i'd go about creating blank XP VHD/XVA's using sysprep? I've got the gist of it from various other walkthroughs on the web, but one thing i can't find out about is licensing.

Basically i would like a "base" hdd, that i can copy, fire up, it will ask me for a prod key & to activate, and i'm off (We have a stack of XP licenses, and it takes forever to initially set them up).

I've got everything bar the asking for a product key part, is there an option in sysprep to prompt for a prod key?

Cheers,
Arc

I believe you can set everything up, then during the OOBE, it'll prompt you for your key and to activate.

Thanks Gambit

So the OOBE that runs by default after first power on (after reseal) will prompt for a key? (You'll have to bare with me i've never done a sysprep before)

Sorry to double post, but just incase anyone was following this thread i managed to do it simply by installing SP3 without a license (just skip it and ignore the warning), installing all the programs i needed, and then running syspreps "reseal" option.

Upon cloning and firing up the vm your prompted to enter a key, validate, and join a network.

Back