Awesome Low Profile CPU cooler

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
I just figured I'd share in case anyone else is in need of a low profile cooler that kicks ass.

I recently needed a low profile cooler for an LGA1200 CPU to go in a 2U server chassis.

I measured clearance in the 2U case at ~71mm, but all of the best coolers I found were pointed up, and there was no venting above the CPU, so I wanted some extra space for airflow.

I wound up going with the ID Cooling IS-55, and I have to say, this thing is really impressing me. I went with the black version, but there are ARGB versions in white and black as well, for those who are so inclined.

The clearance is 55mm including the 15mm thin 120mm fan attached. This is - as with all coolers - measured from the mating surface of the CPU to the top of the assembly (which in this case includes the fan). Don't forget to give the fan some breathing room up top though, unless your case is ventilated there.

With most cases, motherboard standoffs, board thickness and CPU socket heights I guess you'd have to add another ~15mm if you are measuring total interior case height from motherboard tray to lid, but don't quote me on that. There is a reason why manufacturers don't use a total height measurement, and that is because it is unreliable.

I am doing some pre-install open air stability testing on my second desk with an LGA1200 Rocket Lake Xeon E-2314 (4C/4T, 2.8 Base, 4.5 Turbo) and sitting ~3 feet away I can barely hear the thing. I know this is not a lot of cores to keep cool for 2024, but still... Load power at wall is ~90W (measured with Kill-A-Watt)

PXL_20240129_023958997.jpg

I'm doing Prime95 full blast. Max load temp is 53C with the fan running at 840rpm (42%) with 72F ambients, and the only thing I can hear is the slight whoosh from my old compact 150w Antec PSU.

It looks a little odd on this board, but that is just because the socket on Supermicro's server boards are often rotated 90 degrees.

Only downside with this heatsink is that you might need to use naked ram, unless the IO block, is low, and you install it 180degrees in the opposite direction, in which case, use as tall RAM as you want.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtvAI-XTdfk

It's really quite amazing, especially considering it only costs $39.99 (at least the black version)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice AM4 AM5 hardware as well. Been looking for something better than the turd cooling my wife's 7700X for awhile and it has to be very low profile. Gonna measure the clearance tonight. Thanks for the tip I had given up looking for a decent solution/price.

Nice AM4 AM5 hardware as well. Been looking for something better than the turd cooling my wife's 7700X for awhile and it has to be very low profile. Gonna measure the clearance tonight. Thanks for the tip I had given up looking for a decent solution/price.

Yep, LGA115x, LGA1200, LGA1700 and AMD.

My box only says AM4 on it, but the website claims AM5 as well.

Having recently installed a Noctua NH-L12S on my better halfs Fractal Terra build, I found this one to be much easier to work with too. At least if you pre-install it like I did, because for Intel applications you will need access to the bottom of the board to install the custom backplate. (on AMD it appears to use built in socket mounts)

Only thing I wish it did (which is really a small complaint) is allow me to rotate it 90 degrees, so it aligned better with the weirdo socket on this Supermicro board, but this won't be an issue for most people who unlike me aren't trying to use a consumer heatsink on a server board :p

It does allow 180 degree rotation though, and this is key. It is asymmetrical. One side sticks out further than the other. This side can either overhang the RAM, but then you are essentially limited to naked RAM without heatsinks. Rotate it around 180 degrees and instead that side overhangs the IO block, and then you can pretty much use any height RAM. Just keep in mind that this may not work on boards with fancy tall IO block shrouds. (watch the Hardware Canucks video, and it makes more sense with an illustration.)

On my weirdo enterprise motherboard, this is what the naked RAM clearance looks like:

PXL_20240129_043319003.jpg

It's tough to take a picture of, but it looks like maybe 2-3mm more clearance for ramsinks is possible above the naked RAM, but if it is going to work those heatsinks are going to have to be VERY low.

YMMV though with all the variations of motherboards and RAM there are put there.

Last edited:
Back