Anyone familiar with this via board?

Roman79

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone is familiar with these:

STB6086N2-CF

A friend gave it to me as he was unable to get it working; I guess it was sitting in his neighbor's garage unused before that. The top left picture is the one I have (6086N2-CF).

Right now all it does is posts, then gives me an error that it's missing a boot disk. I tried plugging in a cd-rom with a bootable cd but it just posts then reboots itself. It looks to me as though it may be designed to boot from a CF card as it has a reader.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Like where I might find a manual or how to get into the BIOS setup. TIA.

I actually have the same prob with on of my boards right now. On mine it's defiantly a bad board as I have another of the same model that boots off the same drive I'm using as well as the same cables and PSU. You could try resetting the bios and setting floppy to none as well as removing floppy from the boot priority list. If CF adaptor is listed in the bios try removing that from the bios as well if you're not using it as a boot device. You could also try a different drive. Some of these little suckers can be picky.

Boxcar said:
I actually have the same prob with on of my boards right now. On mine it's defiantly a bad board as I have another of the same model that boots off the same drive I'm using as well as the same cables and PSU. You could try resetting the bios and setting floppy to none as well as removing floppy from the boot priority list. If CF adaptor is listed in the bios try removing that from the bios as well if you're not using it as a boot device. You could also try a different drive. Some of these little suckers can be picky.

Actually one of the problems I've been having is that I can't get into the BIOS. I have tried hitting "delete" but it doesn't work. Is there a different key (or key combination) for Via boards?

Scorpionjwp said:
Try the F1 key or the F2 key to enter the bios on the Via boards.

Hmm.....well I tried F1, F2, Shift+F1, Shift+F2

<startrek reference>

I think it's dead Jim.

</startrek reference>

Damn that thing looks like it could be the base of a kickass router/firewall too. The CF slot on the back would be even better. Remote location goes down or something. No prob send them a new cf card. Wish I had some advise for you other then reset the bios and reseat stuff and the ram and maybe try another stick of memory. Also maybe a usb keyboard in case the ps2 port is bad?

Also, you could pull out a volt meter and check the output of the power supply. Maybe swap PSU's if it uses standard connectors.

According to the spec sheet it has an ATX power connection. Being a C3 board it should be a standard 20pin. You should be able to use any old PSU to get the system to boot as the power requirement should be well under 60W.

To the OP and off topic. I contacted that company to get pricing on some of these and it is not that bad. Thanks for the post as I may end up ordering a couple of these to make into routers for some clients. They look pretty good.

Back