Am I pushing it with 750W and RTX 4090

edo101

Limp Gawd
Hi, I have a 24/7 OC 10850K at 5Ghz and I just picked up an Asus TUF 4090 OC. I don't think I plan to overclock the 4090 but I guess maybe in 2 years if it starts struggling at 4K I would? Anyways my rig also has a ton of HDDs and SSDs. I see there is a sale for a 1200W Corsair RM1200e PSU in Newegg for $169. An 850W of the same line is $139, only 30 bucks cheaper.

I was wondering if am I pushing the 750W PSU too hard with my current build? I have heard if PSUs are pushed, they can briick your entire system which means building a whole new computer? Should I close my eyes and buy the 1200W PSU or is there cheaper alternative that will provide good power and future proofing? I also would hate to rewire the system lol.

You’re testing the fate of that hardware. I’d honestly go with at least a quality 850w unit.

Last edited:
Running my 4090 on a damn near 14 year old Corsair TX850 I just figured out. What psu would you recommend I, I mean the OP, get? 😅

Running my 4090 on a damn near 14 year old Corsair TX850 I just figured out. What psu would you recommend I, I mean the OP, get? 😅
What's your budget? If you're okay with pricematching, you can get Best Buy to pricematch to Microcenter the MSI MPG A850G for $105 with a potential $10 mail-in rebate (don't confuse it with the MAG GL that's lower quality). 1000 watt version is $150, no MIR.

Personally I would go for the be quiet! Straight Power 12 1000w that's $160 on Newegg right now. If you feel like splurging a bit, go for the Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 ATX 3.0. If you really want to go all out, go for a Platinum 1000+ watt unit from Seasonic, Super Flower, or FSP, making sure to choose an ATX3.0/PCI-E 5.0 version.

a decently rated 850w or more, 1kw to be safe if you do any OCing

Thanks. Yeah I think if I'm going to upgrade, just based on age for the first time ever, might as well go up in wattage a little. Was thinking 1000 watts, but man if the price difference isn't small and tempting on some of these to go higher.

What's your budget? If you're okay with pricematching, you can get Best Buy to pricematch to Microcenter the MSI MPG A850G for $105 with a potential $10 mail-in rebate (don't confuse it with the MAG GL that's lower quality). 1000 watt version is $150, no MIR.

Personally I would go for the be quiet! Straight Power 12 1000w that's $160 on Newegg right now. If you feel like splurging a bit, go for the Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 ATX 3.0. If you really want to go all out, go for a Platinum 1000+ watt unit from Seasonic, Super Flower, or FSP, making sure to choose an ATX3.0/PCI-E 5.0 version.
Well I don't wanna blow money for nothing, especially if these 3.1's are around the corner, but anything less than 200 or so seems fine. Hopefully I can still use what I get in my next build, but maybe not for 14 years again. I can be conviced to spend more or wait.

That straight power looks nice. Any reason not to spend like 10 more dollars on the 1200w one? Trying to catch up on all the changes since the last time I was looking for a psu, and the word soup was giving me anxiety lol. Like I saw Super Flower Leadex vii XG or something that was something like "cybenetix platinum", which while probably a fine enough psu, was not the highest end like I thought. I appreciate the info.

FWIW I run a 5900x, 1 NVME SSD, 1 SATA SSD, 1 Spinner, 1 Optical, Sound Blaster Z, 4090FE, a big artic cooler 3*140 cooler, and while I was once a hardcore enough overclocker to have a prometia, I don't muck with it much anymore (but it would hurt my ego to think my psu wasn't capable of messing arounf lol)

Last edited:
Probably talking to the OP instead of my hijacking ass, but fwiw, I did do some research and just not good at decisions ha. And OP should basically have asked the same questions in one of the threads... but otherwise yeah probably hoping for someone to tell him it's fine ha (sorry OP). :)

Thanks. Yeah I think if I'm going to upgrade, just based on age for the first time ever, might as well go up in wattage a little. Was thinking 1000 watts, but man if the price difference isn't small and tempting on some of these to go higher.

Well I don't wanna blow money for nothing, especially if these 3.1's are around the corner, but anything less than 200 or so seems fine. Hopefully I can still use what I get in my next build, but maybe not for 14 years again. I can be conviced to spend more or wait.

That straight power looks nice. Any reason not to spend like 10 more dollars on the 1200w one? Trying to catch up on all the changes since the last time I was looking for a psu, and the word soup was giving me anxiety lol. Like I saw Super Flower Leadex vii XG or something that was something like "cybenetix platinum", which while probably a fine enough psu, was not the highest end like I thought. I appreciate the info.

FWIW I run a 5900x, 1 NVME SSD, 1 SATA SSD, 1 Spinner, 1 Optical, Sound Blaster Z, 4090FE, a big artic cooler 3*140 cooler, and while I was once a hardcore enough overclocker to have a prometia, I don't muck with it much anymore (but it would hurt my ego to think my psu wasn't capable of messing arounf lol)

I don't think the 1200w version was on sale at the time I was looking last night. Definitely no reason to not spend an extra $10 for 200 watts, especially since the 1000w version has gone back to its non-sale price of $260.

I wouldn't worry too much about ATX 3.0 vs 3.1. The main difference is changing the PSU side connector from 12VHPWR to 12V-2x6. There hasn't been any cases of the PSU side 12VHPWR connector melting as I recall.

I don't think the 1200w version was on sale at the time I was looking last night. Definitely no reason to not spend an extra $10 for 200 watts, especially since the 1000w version has gone back to its non-sale price of $260.

I wouldn't worry too much about ATX 3.0 vs 3.1. The main difference is changing the PSU side connector from 12VHPWR to 12V-2x6. There hasn't been any cases of the PSU side 12VHPWR connector melting as I recall.
Awesome. Thanks! I thought when I price checked amazon after newegg, it was basically the same price for the 1000w and on Amazon at least, the 1200w was only $10 more. Well there is still a $10 diff but it's more like 170 vs 180. Anyway, I ordered it! Seems a good enough deal still.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CC88BCG9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back