3800X Eco function/setting?

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
I was reading on reddit today and someone was saying the 3800x has an eco function that will limit it to the same 65 that a 3700x uses. Being that a 3800X is a whole whopping 100Mhz faster you would think it could run at the same speed with the same 65W no problem. Might even improve performance with less heat from the voltage. My question is, where is this function? Is a it an AMD setting or is it a BIOS setting? Person could have been full of crap too but either way I'm curious.

Depends on your board, it may be hidden or disabled though (if such an option exists).

I know there's a tdp setting for the APUs. Wouldn't be surprised if there was one for the cpus too.

On my ASrock board its pretty easily accessible. Basically one of the first switches under "advanced CPU settings" in the EUFI.

Last edited:
On my ASrock board its pretty easily accessible. Basically one of the first switches under "advanced CPU settings" in the EUFI.
Have you ever tried running a benchmark with it on vs. off?

Doing a negative voltage offset will reduce power draw and reduce Temps as well. Should be an option in any motherboard bios. My 3800x hangs out around 90 watts full bore.

Have you ever tried running a benchmark with it on vs. off?
No. After some time at stock and then spending more time than I wanted messing around with other settings - I eventually settled on leaving everything at stock except for a -.1v offset and basically have left it there since.

My temps at -.1v are more than good enough Idle* at 40c, load is 70c** and so is the performance (about 4.2ghz allcore, hits 4.8ghz single core in spikes.) I'm fine with this.

I, do, however, transcode on a regular basis so 100% all core at full load matters to me.

*My system is never truly idle. I'm running both a plex and a minecraft server on my machine 24/7 along with monitoring programs.
**at current idle temps. Earlier in the year it was considerably warmer, we don't have AC.

If i'm bored someday I might set up eco mode test, but a situation where I want to do that basically hasn't come up.

My temps at -.1v are more than good enough Idle* at 40c, load is 70c** and so is the performance (about 4.2ghz allcore, hits 4.8ghz single core in spikes.) I'm fine with this.
Be sure to test your actual performance with the undervolting. I was seeing lower power and temperatures, and higher reported clock speed while benchmarking, but bechmark results were also worse.

Back