$10 AutoZone Credit for Old UPS Batteries

Down8

2[H]4U
I skimmed around the forum, and didn't see a more appropriate place to post this, nor any recent mention of it, so here goes:
I replaced an old battery in a UPS, and was looking for a place to recycle it. Google said AutoZone would take them. And, they did, and even gave me a $10 in-store credit (a little 600VA battery, too). Hope this helps someone buy some WD40 or something, like it did for me....

-bZj

I skimmed around the forum, and didn't see a more appropriate place to post this, nor any recent mention of it, so here goes:
I replaced an old battery in a UPS, and was looking for a place to recycle it. Google said AutoZone would take them. And, they did, and even gave me a $10 in-store credit (a little 600VA battery, too). Hope this helps someone buy some WD40 or something, like it did for me....

-bZj
Thanks. I've got about 6 of these that I didn't know whar to do with, will check if there's a Zone near me, or if O'Really will take them, too.

Call me dumb. Thanks for the heads up. This will surely be used.

They take all my used fluid for free all these years.

Does this include smaller cells? I have an APC SUA1500 and an SUA1000. I've got a collection of old batteries just sitting around in the garage.

Does this include smaller cells? I have an APC SUA1500 and an SUA1000. I've got a collection of old batteries just sitting around in the garage.
Iirc they will recycle just about any battery up to like 10 or 12 but it has been a very very long time since I took one in to them.
They take all my used fluid for free all these years.
Funny story. I took in roughly 5 years worth of Mobile one 5qt jugs from 2 vehicles, all at once. I had no idea there was a 5qt per visit limit. Dude took every last one of those suckers and never mentioned that there was a limit! Altho he did ask me a couple times if I was sure it was all oil.

I feel like someone's going to give me a hard time when I try this, but I'll give it a go.

Iirc they will recycle just about any battery up to like 10 or 12 but it has been a very very long time since I took one in to them.

Funny story. I took in roughly 5 years worth of Mobile one 5qt jugs from 2 vehicles, all at once. I had no idea there was a 5qt per visit limit. Dude took every last one of those suckers and never mentioned that there was a limit! Altho he did ask me a couple times if I was sure it was all oil.
I take my 25qt all the time, usually over 3/4 full, and I have never gotten even a sideways look.

I take my 25qt all the time, usually over 3/4 full, and I have never gotten even a sideways look.
Saweet, I've got another 5yrs worth to unload that's been piling up in the garage. I've been putting it off for a few years since reading the 5qt rule :D Good to know they don't enforce it!

It depends on how full our tank is, if it is mostly empty we will take larger amounts. If it is mostly full will will follow the limits or not take it at all.

Does this include smaller cells
most metal recyclers will take lead acid and nickel batteries and pay scrap weight, AutoZone typically pays a flat amount and has a limit (but they do not always adhere to it.) so depending on what you have the scrap yard may be a better value. technically you could save up old disposable batteries and take them in to a metal recycler, i have had a few handfuls in with the UPS batteries and they weighed it all with no complaints. Lithium batteries are a no go at metal yards though.

Good info, but a bit dated, seeins how I have been doing this for several years now...

They get some kind of EPA credit (probably off their taxes or something) + the scrap value of the metals inside from the disposal yard..

Also might wanna check Advance Auto & NAPA stores too, to see if they do this, and most electronics recyclers will take the lithiums too :)

The reason they do this $10 credit, is because when autozone buys batteries they have to pay johnson controls a $22 core charge per battery they buy. When people buy batteries in the store this cost is passed on to the customer. When the warehouse gets these old core batteries back they get refunded the $22 per battery. When people bring in the old batteries for the $10 store credit, autozone gets to use that battery to ofset a $22 core charge. Leading to them making money on the core charges. Customer gets money, autozone gets money, everyone wins.

That is only part of the reason.

The way this credit became a program.

Autozone was buying batteries and contracts stated that they needed to take back 85% of cores or they would be fined for each 1% not met. They were loosing millions as they were taking back only 68%.

At the time it started battery cores were 12.00 in some states, they decided to take any Automotive battery and golf cart/heavy duty batteries for 10.00 store credit to bridge the gap.

Now that the program is a success, and has made them over 90% core return, they are no longer being fined.

The things you learn on [H]....

For what it's worth, my brother had to get a new battery for his truck & O'Reilly gives the full $22 back. So maybe they're better for this item.

-bZj

The things you learn on [H]....

For what it's worth, my brother had to get a new battery for his truck & O'Reilly gives the full $22 back. So maybe they're better for this item.

-bZj
The core charge is refunded when you purchase a battery. The $10 credit is when you have batteries laying around that you can turn in.

-bZj
I will have to check on this. I assume there is a limit? I have a stack of 50 or so UPS SLA batteries at work waiting for us to pay someone to take them away.

I will have to check on this. I assume there is a limit? I have a stack of 50 or so UPS SLA batteries at work waiting for us to pay someone to take them away.

Limit is usually 3 to 5 batteries per day, but you may want to talk to the manager and see what he can do for you.

I wonder how many batteries are in my dead ups... Gonna be a rich man with little tree air fresheners.

Edit: here's to hoping they pay for mine

IMG_6788.jpeg

Last edited:
Weak. I was offered the $10, as I was just looking for a place to recycle the thing.

-bZj

If you buy a replacement APC battery, they will let you recycle the old one for free and send you a shipping label. It's not $10, but it's getting the old battery out of your house for free.

Back