SETI.Germany's 15th Annual Pentathlon (2024)

Do we know yet if we're going to throw the first javelin or not? I'm planning on adding a little to it but it seems I've pulled some work units that have a deadline of about 3.5 days.
Select the last one 16e Lattice Sieve V5. It has 14 days deadline. If you have avx512 capable cpus, that's a bonus as it runs faster.
1715110127080.png

bluestang , glad to have you on board ;)

We need moar fire power. All are welcome to join in!

If anyone wants to chip in a rig or two to help the team, we need support in city run (Ramanujan) or bunker for javelin thrown (NFS on the second throw which will be announced soon).

Well, throwing 90% of my 20cores/40 threads at it now...CULLEN LLR, joined the hard team...

current estimated time: 31d 12h. :p but I just started.
Edit it's now up to 59 days.
Welcome my [H]-man. For Cullen LLR, you need to run multithread per task. See my earlier post: https://hardforum.com/threads/seti-germanys-15th-annual-pentathlon-2024.2034431/post-1045876722

For cullen LLR, it's best just to run with HT/SMT disabled OR run 50% of your total cores. If the task takes too long, the easiest is to abort and update your primegrid preferences to specify the number of threads to run per task and request new set of tasks. For 20 cores, perhaps just run 10 threads per task, so you should fit 2 tasks in that cpu. If the run time looks reasonably ok, you may try to reduce the number of threads from 10 to 5.

Alternative, you can run Rama or NFS, just let us know.

Thanks!

Welcome my [H]-man. For Cullen LLR, you need to run multithread per task. See my earlier post: https://hardforum.com/threads/seti-germanys-15th-annual-pentathlon-2024.2034431/post-1045876722

For cullen LLR, it's best just to run with HT/SMT disabled OR run 50% of your total cores. If the task takes too long, the easiest is to abort and update your primegrid preferences to specify the number of threads to run per task and request new set of tasks. For 20 cores, perhaps just run 10 threads per task, so you should fit 2 tasks in that cpu. If the run time looks reasonably ok, you may try to reduce the number of threads from 10 to 5.

Alternative, you can run Rama or NFS, just let us know.

Thanks!
Hyperthreading is now disabled, limited to two tasks at 10 cores each. Thanks.

Maybe Windows will coordinate things nicely between my two CPUs, but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Hyperthreading is now disabled, limited to two tasks at 10 cores each. Thanks.

Maybe Windows will coordinate things nicely between my two CPUs, but I won't hold my breath.
Awesome. Just keep a good watch of the run time. Should be faster than just running a single thread. If you want to squeeze out a bit more juice out of your run time, try process lasso or something similar. We have a python code and if you are interested, I can pm you the script.

You can keep track of how your contribution will help [H] in the cullen primegrid project here (updated hourly). Usually we get out fast in the race but as time goes by other teams catch up with us at the end.

Ugh! I may need a new script for checking my instances lol...seems running Ramanujan on the main BOINC client is for some reason effecting my script that checks my other instances for OPNG on WCG and doesn't even look at the main one (supposedly lol).

A bit late, but we finished 6th in yesterday sprint event. We contributed almost 17.1M points versus 10.2M points (7th spot) in 2023 in which the sprint race happened to be also NumberFields. Seems like NumberFields is among the organizer favorite projects.

Anyway, something that we should all still be proud of.

Maybe next year pent, NumberFields will again be selected.

1715233109831.png

Looks like the Steeplechase starts in less than three days and it's another CPU project, SiDock.

1715263251323.png

The Second Javelin Throw date announced. We WILL be throwing this one.

Also, the Steeplechase has been announced. SiDock is a CPU only project

ATTENTION: Don't make plans for SiDock just yet. There is a debate going on about its fairness due to it being hosted in Russia. Some ISP's block Russian domains and thus not everyone can fairly partake without the use of VPN's.

Last edited:
I was wondering how we were going to handle this. At the moment I've been keeping my 5800x mostly on Primegrid as it's the only CPU I have which can handle it decent with my 2600x on Ramanujan Machine. I've been doing a bit of RM and NFS on the 5800x while gaming since both projects are a lot easier on the CPU and CPU cache so I can keep something running at all times.

I loaded up a couple SiDock work units on both systems last night to see how they are and I'm not a fan. With the really long runtimes they probably would have been better for a marathon event. Then again, they probably should have gone with a GPU work unit on Primegrid since everything else was basically CPU except for Numberfields being both. They've definitely made some really odd choices overall this year.

I was wondering how we were going to handle this. At the moment I've been keeping my 5800x mostly on Primegrid as it's the only CPU I have which can handle it decent with my 2600x on Ramanujan Machine. I've been doing a bit of RM and NFS on the 5800x while gaming since both projects are a lot easier on the CPU and CPU cache so I can keep something running at all times.

I loaded up a couple SiDock work units on both systems last night to see how they are and I'm not a fan. With the really long runtimes they probably would have been better for a marathon event. Then again, they probably should have gone with a GPU work unit on Primegrid since everything else was basically CPU except for Numberfields being both. They've definitely made some really odd choices overall this year.
Stop running Sidock as the organizer has just yanked this project, in case you aren't aware of the latest development.

Also they didn't update their main pent website, so perhaps just suspend first and run other projects until the official announcement is been updated on their main page.

From the pent website shoutbox
1715283721794.png

Edit: here is the official announcement https://www.seti-germany.de/forum/c...2024-Project-for-Steeplechase-will-be-changed

Last edited:
Hi 👋
I was away for a week but luckily that just meant my computers had more time to work without me interrupting them ☺️
Hope you have a good & wonderfult week. Thanks for supporting the [H] team. Right now we are running NFS (javelin second throw) and plan to bunker for the 3rd javelin throw (May 13th, 5pm/8pm PT/ET).

Feel free to ask any question here.

Hi 👋

Hope you have a good & wonderfult week. Thanks for supporting the [H] team. Right now we are running NFS (javelin second throw) and plan to bunker for the 3rd javelin throw (May 13th, 5pm/8pm PT/ET).

Feel free to ask any question here.
Should be able to get some NFS tasks in for this throw and get some ready for the 3rd. Happy to help.

1715649855748.png

We are doing good folks. We could still use a lot of help though. If anyone has anything they can fire up, we have options for you.

I know the day's Javelin throw isn't very old but I was wondering if we might need/want to add some more to it? Just getting the question in for a response closer to the time the day's throw will end. I have a small bunker I'm almost done with which I was going to save for the last throw and will be done well before this day's throw ends. The plan was to finish it and go all in on Milky Way other than maybe completing a couple Primegrid work units I have sitting suspended. I think it might be worth 50k-60k.

I know the day's Javelin throw isn't very old but I was wondering if we might need/want to add some more to it? Just getting the question in for a response closer to the time the day's throw will end. I have a small bunker I'm almost done with which I was going to save for the last throw and will be done well before this day's throw ends. The plan was to finish it and go all in on Milky Way other than maybe completing a couple Primegrid work units I have sitting suspended. I think it might be worth 50k-60k.
I would recommend dropping it so that the others eyeballing the numbers can make their adjustments accordingly.

Back