Radeon RX 7900 GRE Review

RDNA4 won't have a top end card, highest will be Navi 48. Rumored to be around 7900 XT performance.

More than likely they are going to package this in a "8800 XT" build for around 400-500$

Thus if you need a GPU now, 7900 GRE / XT / XTX are not bad buys. They will be around for awhile and some will have better performance than the top RDNA 4 card at least in raster.

If you don't need a card right now, and/or want to hold out for the latest and greatest, at least you know what's coming.

Personally, I'm finding the 7900 XTX performance being... less than I want. I mean it was a fine upgrade over my 5700 XT, but I'm not keen on skipping another generation. I'm not sure I want to wait another 3ish years for a high end card so I'll have to see what the RTX 5090 offers and potentially look into that for a future upgrade.
They're horrible buys, especially the GRE - a gimped 7900 series because of defective dies. Wow, I just can't even...

GRE is $550 and put a 200mhz OC on the RAM and it's a monster that rubs elbows with the 7900XT. It's not a bad buy.
Yes, 7900gre is not so bad, only if it were according to MSRP at my place...
Supposedly the powercolor rx 7900 gre hellhound is the best, low heating of gpu and vrm...

Yea that hellhound is a nice and cool one. I recently upgraded my nephews rx580 with that gpu and of course I had to test it. Too bad the memory OC driver wasn't available when I installed and tested it.

Yea that hellhound is a nice and cool one. I recently upgraded my nephews rx580 with that gpu and of course I had to test it. Too bad the memory OC driver wasn't available when I installed and tested it.
And, what did you test everything, what are the impressions?

Price performance of that card for raster is one of the best in that price range and it does surprisingly well at ray tracing with the extra CU's over the 7800. Never got to test with memory OC unfortunately.

Price performance of that card for raster is one of the best in that price range and it does surprisingly well at ray tracing with the extra CU's over the 7800. Never got to test with memory OC unfortunately.
As far as I can tell, most models have vrm chips that allow 20 Gbps effective.
I haven't followed gpu for a long time, but those 7900 gre only recently appeared here at my place, they came out a few months ago as far as I can see.

https://www.makeuseof.com/gddr6-vs-gddr6x-vs-gddr7-whats-the-difference/

"However, prolific leaker Kepler suggested on X that AMD's upcoming RDNA 4 architecture (that will power its next GPUs) would still use GDDR6 memory, which would put it at a substantial disadvantage if Nvidia moves from the already more powerful GDDR6X memory to GDDR7.
Now, it's a leak, and is speculative, but Kepler has a long history of accuracy; AMD fans had better hope it is wrong on this occasion, or Team Red will be falling even further behind Team Green."

They could have put at least gddr6x for rdna 4.

This one also says that you should wait for rdna 4, they could turn out to be good and much cheaper.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2MPeN66XUg

It should be good & smaller

Nobody knows the price. But we can take a guess

There will be 2 chips

Smaller one (navi 44) = 4060 ti = $300 (or less)

The bigger one (navi 48) should be double the smaller one. That should make it in the range of 7900 xt / 4070 ti super (priced around $550 give or take $50)

In case the launch is delayed to be after nvidia's blackwell, then price should be even cheaper as there is competition from nvidia

It should be good & smaller

Nobody knows the price. But we can take a guess

There will be 2 chips

Smaller one (navi 44) = 4060 ti = $300 (or less)

The bigger one (navi 48) should be double the smaller one. That should make it in the range of 7900 xt / 4070 ti super (priced around $550 give or take $50)

In case the launch is delayed to be after nvidia's blackwell, then price should be even cheaper as there is competition from nvidia
Anyway, I don't like it if it's just old gddr6 again.
This one is mentioned above as rtx 4080.
Nvidia only releases rtx 5090?

Anyway, I don't like it if it's just old gddr6 again.
This one is mentioned above as rtx 4080.
Nvidia only releases rtx 5090?
Nvidia will release a 5090

It is hoped that top RDNA 4 would be equal to (or just short of 4080).

I expect the top RDNA 4 to just beat the raster of 7900 xt & match or better RT of 7900 xtx

The rumour says that all RDNA 4 cards would be gddr6. That makes sense as these are meant to compete with 5070 & below. RDNA will not compete with 5080 or 5090

Nvidia will release a 5090

It is hoped that top RDNA 4 would be equal to (or just short of 4080).

I expect the top RDNA 4 to just beat the raster of 7900 xt & match or better RT of 7900 xtx

The rumour says that all RDNA 4 cards would be gddr6. That makes sense as these are meant to compete with 5070 & below. RDNA will not compete with 5080 or 5090
It seems to me that they have the potential to beat nvidia, but they can't, so they just stay close and that's it.
Because gddr7 is not reserved only for nvidia, anyone has the right to use it, even Intel if they want.

Just ordered a 7900GRE as I got it at around the price of the cheapest 7800XT card after a recent price drop. Basically aprox. 500USD list price and 450USD after rebate code, both prices before sales tax. It is one of the more basic models, but should work fine for a secondary rig. Was considering the 4070 super and 4070 ti super, but cheapest regular super was 15% more expensive and cheapest ti super was 50% more expensive. It is for 4k rendering on my sim racing PC so ray tracing was not a consideration as RT at 4k needs a 4080 at a minimum. It should be good for several years in raster only in the games I want to use it for (ACC, F1 etc.). Sure RT would be nice, but feel I would need a high end next gen card to make RT worth it at 4k so decided to just get a good raster card now at a good price.

Just ordered a 7900GRE as I got it at around the price of the cheapest 7800XT card after a recent price drop. Basically aprox. 500USD list price and 450USD after rebate code, both prices before sales tax. It is one of the more basic models, but should work fine for a secondary rig. Was considering the 4070 super and 4070 ti super, but cheapest regular super was 15% more expensive and cheapest ti super was 50% more expensive. It is for 4k rendering on my sim racing PC so ray tracing was not a consideration as RT at 4k needs a 4080 at a minimum. It should be good for several years in raster only in the games I want to use it for (ACC, F1 etc.). Sure RT would be nice, but feel I would need a high end next gen card to make RT worth it at 4k so decided to just get a good raster card now at a good price.
So which one did you get, can you share which model exactly?
And how much did it cost in the end?
I immediately saw that it is a good card, better than the rtx 4070 super which is too expensive and most of them have very bad cooling and are made at the upper limits of the specifications.
The only drawback of the rx 7900 gre is the slightly higher consumption, most rx 7900 gre cards have adequate cooling.
In my opinion, there is still no real 4K graphics card and the games are poorly optimized for graphics that are still not wow.
In my opinion, GTA6 should be a new benchmark in terms of graphics, but it doesn't have to be. Maybe it will only be based on RDR2, which again has better graphics than many games.

So which one did you get, can you share which model exactly?
And how much did it cost in the end?
I immediately saw that it is a good card, better than the rtx 4070 super which is too expensive and most of them have very bad cooling and are made at the upper limits of the specifications.
The only drawback of the rx 7900 gre is the slightly higher consumption, most rx 7900 gre cards have adequate cooling.
In my opinion, there is still no real 4K graphics card and the games are poorly optimized for graphics that are still not wow.
In my opinion, GTA6 should be a new benchmark in terms of graphics, but it doesn't have to be. Maybe it will only be based on RDR2, which again has better graphics than many games.
Ordered an Asus dual OC as it was cheap and seemed the have OK build quality. Haven't received the card yet, but it will most likely be here this week. Pricing in USD will vary from day to day due to exchange rate and the rebate code was personal, not a shopping offer for everyone.

I have my pump/res combo mounted at the front so limited to around 31cm max in length without having to go with a slim radiator. No big deal for me if I loose a little bit of performance due to not having a monster cooler and my case is also well vented with air temp sensors on exhaust controlling fans.

The only real 4k cards are the 4090 and to some degree the 4080s.

Asus and amd don't really go together, I had an asus dual from amd, it's not something extra great and their software is a disaster.
I would avoid asus and amd, it is best to go with verified amd partners, sapphire, asrock...
Asus favors intel and nvidia.

Asus and amd don't really go together, I had an asus dual from amd, it's not something extra great and their software is a disaster.
I would avoid asus and amd, it is best to go with verified amd partners, sapphire, asrock...
Software doesn't matter as I never use manufacturer bloatware. E.g. I only use stock drivers and software from either AMD or Nvidia for my GPUs and hate extra stuff from manufacturers like the plague. As long as the build quality is OK then it will be fine. Not like I need a great card for a secondary machine, just needs to be stable card that can run medium load games at 4k at well over 60fps. For my main computer it would be different as that will be a high end card on water when I upgrade it.

Software doesn't matter as I never use manufacturer bloatware. E.g. I only use stock drivers and software from either AMD or Nvidia for my GPUs and hate extra stuff from manufacturers like the plague. As long as the build quality is OK then it will be fine. Not like I need a great card for a secondary machine, just needs to be stable card that can run medium load games at 4k at well over 60fps. For my main computer it would be different as that will be a high end card on water when I upgrade it.
I have gainward and I have to admit that their software is not bad, better than msi afterburner.
They have an option for auto oc, the program finds the oc settings by itself and only their program has regulation for led according to temperature, still or rainbow.
The graphics is otherwise hot garbage, it heats up (hot spot almost 90) and the fans spin at over 2000rpm under load.

I have gainward and I have to admit that their software is not bad, better than msi afterburner.
They have an option for auto oc, the program finds the oc settings by itself and only their program has regulation for led according to temperature, still or rainbow.
The graphics is otherwise hot garbage, it heats up (hot spot almost 90) and the fans spin at over 2000rpm under load.
Hotspot of 90 is not an issue though, if it sits at around a 100 a lot then I would start to worry a little. My 3080 used to be up there when it was on air and it had one of the 2-3 best air coolers. Even on water I get hotspots in the 65-70 range at times, even though overall core temp is generally well below 50 at full 340w load.

Sapphire only offers a 2 year warranty. I have owned 6700 XT and 6600 XT and avoided Sapphire both times ;)

Hotspot of 90 is not an issue though, if it sits at around a 100 a lot then I would start to worry a little. My 3080 used to be up there when it was on air and it had one of the 2-3 best air coolers. Even on water I get hotspots in the 65-70 range at times, even though overall core temp is generally well below 50 at full 340w load.
This is from rdr2, the graphics are quite audible, I have a really great cooled case inwin303 but it doesn't help anything.
I tried titanfall 2, I come to that training session, the jumping on the walls annoys me and the game had some strange pauses and stutters, I gave up, I don't feel like playing anything at all after rdr2, the movement is kind of stupid, the graphics are bad.
Untitled.png

Back