LG 32GS95UE – OLED 31.5″ with 4K @ 240Hz and 1080p @ 480Hz Support - The death knell of LCD panels

Honestly, this thread title could read "Acura NSX, the death knell of Honda Civics".

LCD's ain't going nowheres, not even gaming panels. For most people, price will always be king.

This monitor isn't even the death knell for high end LCD monitors with mini LED, let alone cheapo LCDs. It simply doesn't have the brightness to deliver the HDR performance that mini LEDs can. If it had the same brightness levels as Apple's new iPad pro lineup then I might say the death knell of LCDs has come.

"Apple says that both slates can reach a full-screen brightness of 1,000nits, with peak HDR brightness reaching 1,600nits. Called Ultra Retina XDR, Apple’s OLED panel is marketed as the ‘world’s most advanced display"

1000 nits full field and 1600 nits peak is just absolutely bonkers for an OLED. I hope this technology is able to be applied to monitor sized OLED screens at some point in the future.

It simply doesn't have the brightness to deliver the HDR performance that mini LEDs can.
Maybe not, but this makes it sound like you’re getting a subpar HDR experience. People say this all the time about my C2, meanwhile the damn thing makes me squint at bright elements in HDR content. I’m just not onboard with that argument.

Maybe not, but this makes it sound like you’re getting a subpar HDR experience. People say this all the time about my C2, meanwhile the damn thing makes me squint at bright elements in HDR content. I’m just not onboard with that argument.

If you're satisfied with it that's fine, but IMO yes it is quite subpar when compared to a mini LED. Peak1000 mode simply isn't useable due to the aggressive dimming so TB400 is the best mode for the latest OLED monitors which means peak brightness is capped to around 450 nits. That is barely HDR in my book. OLED TVs are of course a different story and don't have this issue. Your C2 is actually brighter than the latest batch of OLED monitors, while the flagship models like the G4 and S95D are just on a completely different level.

Honestly, this thread title could read "Acura NSX, the death knell of Honda Civics".

LCD's ain't going nowheres, not even gaming panels. For most people, price will always be king.
More like: "Golf GTI, the death knell of Honda Civic SI's" :)

Dont get me wrong, LCDs can still exist. But they have to be cheaper because they perform worse.
If a 4k/240hz OLED costs $900, like the MSI model, then an equivalent LCD should cost $600.

If you're satisfied with it that's fine, but IMO yes it is quite subpar when compared to a mini LED. Peak1000 mode simply isn't useable due to the aggressive dimming so TB400 is the best mode for the latest OLED monitors which means peak brightness is capped to around 450 nits. That is barely HDR in my book. OLED TVs are of course a different story and don't have this issue. Your C2 is actually brighter than the latest batch of OLED monitors, while the flagship models like the G4 and S95D are just on a completely different level.
There is an unfortunate disconnect between the real world and numbers reviewers spit out.

Depends what you're after brightness or low latency and motion clarity, you can't have both right now. I don't see OLEDS getting any brighter until they solve the burn-in issues, they probably already are artificially limited, to prevent loads of warranty claims.

More like: "Golf GTI, the death knell of Honda Civic SI's" :)

Dont get me wrong, LCDs can still exist. But they have to be cheaper because they perform worse.
If a 4k/240hz OLED costs $900, like the MSI model, then an equivalent LCD should cost $600.
Define performance. And define worse.

My 2500 Cummins can't outrun my Odyssey to save its life. Obviously it's a worse vehicle right? :)

The 32GS95UE is a lot brighter than a 42 inch C2. Which would be a better comparison. Larger TVs are almost always brighter. But with OLED, they are indeed.

However, its really only at 25% and 10%, that the larger C2 and C3 are solidly brighter. At higher APL, this 32 wins by as much as 100 nits. and no less than 40 nits. It loses in the middle of the APL curve. But then it comes back at 2% and 1%, to get massively brighter. You'd probably have to show off some specific content, to make its losses noticeable during an average viewing.

And it also begs the question about how much brightness is really needed? Yeah yeah, "mastered at HDR 1,000" etc. But I'm wondering when I would even be able to look at that and enjoy something comfortably. I guess maybe in a theater, with some significant viewing distance.

Hell, I was actually just in Best Buy a couple of hours ago, looking at the Alienware Ultrawide with a 1st gen QD-OLED panel. I plugged my own laptop in and played some Blu-rays ripped from my library. In Best Buy, with a lot of ambient light, it was fine viewing at 75% brightness setting. I'd actually say the brightness was just about perfect.
The black level was definitely raised, however. As is usual for QD-OLED. That said, I could still appreciate benefits from the per pixel lighting/color control.

Depends what you're after brightness or low latency and motion clarity, you can't have both right now. I don't see OLEDS getting any brighter until they solve the burn-in issues, they probably already are artificially limited, to prevent loads of warranty claims.
Well, LG is very conservative on how it cools their panels. Seems to rely mostly on the base capabilities of the tech. Or just use a fan. If another brand such as Asus puts in a bigger heatsink and the graphene stuff we see in the QD-OLED's, etc, we will see better brightness on their new 32 inch.

Hell, I was actually just in Best Buy a couple of hours ago, looking at the Alienware Ultrawide with a 1st gen QD-OLED panel. I plugged my own laptop in and played some Blu-rays ripped from my library. In Best Buy, with a lot of ambient light, it was fine viewing at 75% brightness setting. I'd actually say the brightness was just about perfect.
The black level was definitely raised, however. As is usual for QD-OLED. That said, I could still appreciate benefits from the per pixel lighting/color control.
I think this is a misunderstood benefit: Light on the screen raises all colors, we just notice the blacks. So brightness scales a little to the brightness of the room.

The 32GS95UE is a lot brighter than a 42 inch C2. Which would be a better comparison. Larger TVs are almost always brighter. But with OLED, they are indeed.

However, its really only at 25% and 10%, that the larger C2 and C3 are solidly brighter. At higher APL, this 32 wins by as much as 100 nits. and no less than 40 nits. It loses in the middle of the APL curve. But then it comes back at 2% and 1%, to get massively brighter. You'd probably have to show off some specific content, to make its losses noticeable during an average viewing.

And it also begs the question about how much brightness is really needed? Yeah yeah, "mastered at HDR 1,000" etc. But I'm wondering when I would even be able to look at that and enjoy something comfortably. I guess maybe in a theater, with some significant viewing distance.

Well, LG is very conservative on how it cools their panels. Seems to rely mostly on the base capabilities of the tech. Or just use a fan. If another brand such as Asus puts in a bigger heatsink and the graphene stuff we see in the QD-OLED's, etc, we will see better brightness on their new 32 inch.

I don't own the LG monitor so I won't say too much, but I highly doubt it is "a lot brighter" than a C2 in real content. Everything that has been shown about it so far has all been limited to just a bunch of test slides. Once RTings gets one in then we will know for sure whether it is a lot brighter or isn't in actual content. The QD OLED monitors have already proven that test slides really don't tell the full story.

I can say that the 32GS95UE is a lot brighter than the 27GR95QE, but that's the only OLED comparison I can make, it's the only OLED I've had in the same environment.

I know display tech intermediate level, I was a certified AV Technician for 6 years, but a lot of my work was with projectors, tiled displays, audio (biamps, mics, speakers, crestrons, etc), I used to do AV commissioning but have a different career, it was too many hours for me, worked like 90 hours a week most of the time.

I think it will be best for most people to wait for the RTINGS review. What Vega said in this thread is 100% in-line with my experience with it. I know Vega buys a lot of displays, I see him posting on [H] and Overclock.net ALL the time about displays, so his word is definitely holds more weight than mine. Vega could probably answer everyone's questions better than me.

I just know the new OLED is noticeably brighter than last years ;)

I can say that the 32GS95UE is a lot brighter than the 27GR95QE, but that's the only OLED comparison I can make, it's the only OLED I've had in the same environment.

I know display tech intermediate level, I was a certified AV Technician for 6 years, but a lot of my work was with projectors, tiled displays, audio (biamps, mics, speakers, crestrons, etc), I used to do AV commissioning but have a different career, it was too many hours for me, worked like 90 hours a week most of the time.

I think it will be best for most people to wait for the RTINGS review. What Vega said in this thread is 100% in-line with my experience with it. I know Vega buys a lot of displays, I see him posting on [H] and Overclock.net ALL the time about displays, so his word is definitely holds more weight than mine. Vega could probably answer everyone's questions better than me.

I just know the new OLED is noticeably brighter than last years ;)

Well is it brighter because the EOTF is totally screwed when running in High Mode? The GR27 is also known of be one of the dimmest OLEDs and so LG had to refresh it with the GS27 after just 1 year so being brighter than the GR27 isn't really a huge accomplishment.

1715189814207.png

Well is it brighter because the EOTF is totally screwed when running in High Mode? The GR27 is also known of be one of the dimmest OLEDs and so LG had to refresh it with the GS27 after just 1 year so being brighter than the GR27 isn't really a huge accomplishment.

On the bright side (ba-dum, tssss) my 27GR95QE will probably last forever without getting burn in, because it literally can't get bright enough to burn anything. I still enjoy using it though. Dark room with no reflections, looks fine.

Yea there are definitely issues with the launch firmware. A few days ago I reported a bunch of issues to LG, hopefully they fix them. But honestly you should probably be looking at mini-led if brightness is a concern for you. I don't think OLEDs will get much brighter until the burn-in issue is solved by better prevention mechanisms. Panel manufacturers don't want to deal with more warranty claims. They won't get brighter anytime soon.

Yea there are definitely issues with the launch firmware. A few days ago I reported a bunch of issues to LG, hopefully they fix them. But honestly you should probably be looking at mini-led if brightness is a concern for you. I don't think OLEDs will get much brighter until the burn-in issue is solved by better prevention mechanisms. Panel manufacturers don't want to deal with more warranty claims. They won't get brighter anytime soon.

I do have a mini LED lol. But I also have an OLED as well because mini LED doesn't get anywhere near 240Hz OLED in terms of motion clarity. Until OLED monitors get up to at least the current TV level brightness, it won't be the death knell of anything.

Crap like that drives me crazy. I'm not sure why an accurate EOTF is so hard. Maybe it really does require extensive software development or hardware support, but I know devices can do it. The Sony A95L and the ASUS PG32UQX both have bang on EOTF tracking. I think it is part of why I like the PG32UQX so much is not just the brightness, but everything, SDR and HDR, looks "right" to me. Things don't seem to be crushed or blown out or anything. Part of that is probably its good gamma/EOTF tracking.

I'm fine with allowing people to adjust curves, maybe you want something brighter or darker, but there should be a curve, and it should be default, that is very accurate. We know it is possible because we have devices that do it.

Crap like that drives me crazy. I'm not sure why an accurate EOTF is so hard. Maybe it really does require extensive software development or hardware support, but I know devices can do it. The Sony A95L and the ASUS PG32UQX both have bang on EOTF tracking. I think it is part of why I like the PG32UQX so much is not just the brightness, but everything, SDR and HDR, looks "right" to me. Things don't seem to be crushed or blown out or anything. Part of that is probably its good gamma/EOTF tracking.

I'm fine with allowing people to adjust curves, maybe you want something brighter or darker, but there should be a curve, and it should be default, that is very accurate. We know it is possible because we have devices that do it.

I'm no engineer so I won't comment on how hard or easy it is to do accurate EOTF tracking, but yes you are right it is possible to do if some effort is made. As others have mentioned, the launch of the 32GS95UE was probably rushed in order to get something out to market before QD OLEDs take up all the sales. The panel itself barely went into mass production like 2 weeks ago so the fact a monitor using that panel is already in people's hands just tells me it was half baked. I have no doubts future firmware updates will dial things in, but knowing LG, they do not like to drive their panels very hard so regardless of whatever fixes it gets, I highly doubt it's going to suddenly be waay brighter than before. Asus on the other hand I'm hopeful they can push this panel harder with the Pg32UCDP.

Define performance. And define worse.
Yea, let's compare similar performing LCD and OLED displays, the Samsung Neo G8 and the Dell AW3225QF.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-neo-g8-s32bg85
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3225qf

The LCD has noticeably worse scores in:
Worse Response times
Worse Viewing angles
Worse Contrast uniformity

In fact, the OLED has perfect scores (10) in almost every Picture Quality and Motion metrics, except for HDR which the Neo G8 didnt score too well either. The Neo G8 performed worse in almost every single metric. That's what WORSE means.

Yea, let's compare similar performing LCD and OLED displays, the Samsung Neo G8 and the Dell AW3225QF.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-neo-g8-s32bg85
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3225qf

The LCD has noticeably worse scores in:
Worse Response times
Worse Viewing angles
Worse Contrast uniformity

In fact, the OLED has perfect scores (10) in almost every Picture Quality and Motion metrics, except for HDR which the Neo G8 didnt score too well either. The Neo G8 performed worse in almost every single metric. That's what WORSE means.
Your OLED nut hugging is getting way out of hand. Both technologies have their place and I do not consider one universally superior to the other currently.

What you're doing is just obnoxious. You're like the OLED version of that PG32UQX guy.

Just as I was about to call and cancel my order as I was having second thoughts I got an email the monitor shipped early. 😅

Scheduled to arrive Monday...guess I'll give it a try.

LG has a restock fee right?

Thanks! wonder how that would work with all the crazy discounts and bundled items 😵‍💫

Eh as long as it looks good and can get as bright or brighter then my first gen QD AW34, which it hopefully should I'll probably keep it.

Doubt we will see much improvement in the oled monitor space till probably 2026 anyway.

Doubt we will see much improvement in the oled monitor space till probably 2026 anyway.
I dunno, it may not improve for a bit, but I also wouldn't count it out. There's been a lot of improvements in the TVs in a very short time. I'm sticking with my PG32UQX, but I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing what the next gen of OLEDs look like.

I dunno, it may not improve for a bit, but I also wouldn't count it out. There's been a lot of improvements in the TVs in a very short time. I'm sticking with my PG32UQX, but I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing what the next gen of OLEDs look like.
Will probably see 4k ultrawide monitors next year as a refresh to the first gen QD models and likely a newer version of the current 4k line up with higher brightness and refresh rates in 2026.

I would love to be wrong and see the tech leap more quickly though. I miss the hell out of the brightness and wow factor on the PG32UQX when I had it but maaaan the rest of the short comings on that monitor were oof. After using oled the last couple years not sure I could ever go back to fald monitors unless the zone count gets a yuuuuuge bump.

Last edited:
Reactions: elvn
like this
Ended up cancelling the order. Will wait till I can check out the competition properly/in person.
I'm also not convinced going back to 16:9 is what I really want... those high res 40" UW displays are what I'm really after!

Your OLED nut hugging is getting way out of hand. Both technologies have their place and I do not consider one universally superior to the other currently.

What you're doing is just obnoxious. You're like the OLED version of that PG32UQX guy.
Good to see you have no arguments. Just posting reviews was enough to make you seethe this badly. :ROFLMAO:

Ended up returning mine. Was hoping it would be able to retire two of my three monitors, but there's not enough screen real estate when using 125% scaling to replace two monitors and keep text legible for productivity uses. Text clarity, particularly at lower scaling/zoom in word processing is still well below LCDs. Switching inputs was also horrible requiring four inputs of the joystick to accomplish.

Gaming was fine, but 32" 16:9 really isn't a great size for gaming. As others have said the brightness on larger windows isn't there yet.

I do have to say the AG coating LG used on this thing is indeed amazing. Really handles reflections well without murdering contrast. Whatever they used on this should be on every monitor.

Back to the triple monitor setup for now.

Ended up returning mine. Was hoping it would be able to retire two of my three monitors, but there's not enough screen real estate when using 125% scaling to replace two monitors and keep text legible for productivity uses. Text clarity, particularly at lower scaling/zoom in word processing is still well below LCDs. Switching inputs was also horrible requiring four inputs of the joystick to accomplish.

Gaming was fine, but 32" 16:9 really isn't a great size for gaming. As others have said the brightness on larger windows isn't there yet.

I do have to say the AG coating LG used on this thing is indeed amazing. Really handles reflections well without murdering contrast. Whatever they used on this should be on every monitor.

Back to the triple monitor setup for now.
This why I use 57 for productivity...nothing can touch it productivity wise....and gaming is fun too

Is that the G9 you're talking about? I've been eyeing it, but Samsung horror stories have made me waffle.

Yep, so far so good...perhaps I got super lucky. I like it so much I brought my old 8700k rig out of retirement and stuck a 7900xtx in it for work productivity and classic gaming @ 240hz native.

Back