Happy accident with a bluray

My bluray drive i use to rip DVDs on my machine has been dying, so I hot a new on a few months ago. The old drive finally couldn't read anything so last night put the new drive in. What I didn't realize was the new drive is capable of reading 4k discs with a firmware reversion. Not only that, it was easy.

Kinda nice when you get an unexpected surprise on the positive side.

What drive did you get? I got a 4k ripping capable one recently myself, an LG.

Ya I sawz something the other day upon's the "UTubes". Said everyone can 4K.
That would be quite hilarious if they have just been firm-ware fuckin' everyone all this time.

Ya I sawz something the other day upon's the "UTubes". Said everyone can 4K.
That would be quite hilarious if they have just been firm-ware fuckin' everyone all this time.
PS- The War on personal media is real and orchestrated. It is 90% over now so...

My bluray drive i use to rip DVDs on my machine has been dying, so I hot a new on a few months ago. The old drive finally couldn't read anything so last night put the new drive in. What I didn't realize was the new drive is capable of reading 4k discs with a firmware reversion. Not only that, it was easy.

Old trick, but, yes, it was nice to find out my drives were backwards "upgradeable" to 4K by reverting to older firmware.

The one I use most is the LG WH16NS60.

PS- The War on personal media is real and orchestrated. It is 90% over now so...
Do you think movie studios went on their own accord in an orchestrated way from their easiest and most profitable time 2000-2007 dvd bubbles to the current situation of not of them making any money from their streaming platform by an orchestrated outside force and not just what the internet, piracy, netflix, consumer preference did in a messy way and market driven way ?

Do you think the music industry giant fall from their best time the CD eras to streaming music now was orchestrated by Apple and some others ?

That steam won over going in person buy a game at bestbuy not simply because it was much better, internet got fast enough with good enough data deal and people preferred it or that it needed a grand orchestration ?

People loving selling you personal media force is really big (you can see it with say vinyl) the second people want to buy them they usually show up.

That is a nice thing. Gone are the days of flashing firmware after opening the drive and attaching jumpers lol. I did that many moons ago for a drive to be compatible with a game console.

Do you think movie studios went on their own accord in an orchestrated way from their easiest and most profitable time 2000-2007 dvd bubbles to the current situation of not of them making any money from their streaming platform by an orchestrated outside force and not just what the internet, piracy, netflix, consumer preference did in a messy way and market driven way ?

Do you think the music industry giant fall from their best time the CD eras to streaming music now was orchestrated by Apple and some others ?

That steam won over going in person buy a game at bestbuy not simply because it was much better, internet got fast enough with good enough data deal and people preferred it or that it needed a grand orchestration ?

People loving selling you personal media force is really big (you can see it with say vinyl) the second people want to buy them they usually show up.
It is a combo of consumers wanting faster and easier and ultimately willing to give up ownership while not understanding the concept, and big tech rubbing their hands together as they now have infinite resell-ability.

It is a combo of consumers wanting faster and easier and ultimately willing to give up ownership while not understanding the concept, and big tech rubbing their hands together as they now have infinite resell-ability.
Yep, also the lack of caring about quality as people watch movies on their phone :(.

Absolutely. We have multiple examples of the term 4K being thrown out like cookies when they are getting much less.
Check out Louise channel!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bpzyz5kf_A

Is piracy moral?

I just buy blurays and UHD blurays. I pay anywhere from $2 to $6 a movie typically for regular, and $8 to $12 for UHD ones (just my favorites and reference quality discs).

Streaming is a cheaper, but inferior option. I import box sets of TV shows sometimes off of Amazon UK since they're often cheaper there. Sometimes for SD shows or older shows I'll buy a stream of the whole series if it's dirt cheap. Picture quality doesn't matter as much for a sitcom.

Last edited:
I just buy blurays and UHD blurays. I pay anywhere from $2 to $6 a movie typically for regular, and $8 to $12 for UHD ones (just my favorites and reference quality discs).

Streaming is a cheaper, but inferior option. I import box sets of TV shows sometimes off of Amazon UK since they're often cheaper there. Sometimes for SD shows or older shows I'll buy a stream of the whole series if it's dirt cheap. Picture quality doesn't matter as much for a sitcom.
So you didn't watch.
Purchase 4K get poor 720p. (just filling you in because you didn't give a damn to watch)

So you didn't watch.
Purchase 4K get poor 720p. (just filling you in because you didn't give a damn to watch)
I don't watch YouTube videos with pirate talk in their thumbnails, heck really youtube much in general :). Yes, some transfers are poor, as always you should research what you're buying.

I rip my DVDs to put them on my media server so they are there. But if I am in my home theater I put in the actual disk I to my nice dvd player. Still dont even stream my straight copy. And yeah, a streamed 1080p vs 1080p bluray is way different.

Oh, and then there is streaming of music. As nerdy as this sounds...If you ever want to know how poor that can be you stream Simon Preston Westminster Abbey Organ music. The 32ft rank seems to disappear vs my CDs or for when I've heard it person...which no recording can do justice to a 32ft rank.

funkydmunky, no. Abandonware and preservation are another matter. I noticed you never replied back to my response, and you sounded angry, so i guess you were looking for a Warez buddy?
Okay i gave you a link that discusses some current issues. You chose not to watch because of certain words. I can't continue to have a conversation if you refuse to hear the issues and then discus. If you aren't capable then it is you who choose to check out on the discussion. Louis Rossmann is no slouch on these topics. He has fought on the right to repair issue more then anyone.

Okay i gave you a link that discusses some current issues. You chose not to watch because of certain words. I can't continue to have a conversation if you refuse to hear the issues and then discus. If you aren't capable then it is you who choose to check out on the discussion. Louis Rossmann is no slouch on these topics. He has fought on the right to repair issue more then anyone.
I'll be your buddy here. Louis Rossmann is correct. I don't follow Louis Rossmann, but I've always respected him as an IT professional. Him saying this just elevates him another tier of respectability.

People who are suck-ups for shitty corporations who rip people off? You lost my respect again, at least as far as this topic is concerned...

(P.S. I'm not kidding. If you actually give these corporations money under some bullshit guise of morality, I think you're being really stupid and should rethink your entire life. No joke!)

People who are suck-ups for shitty corporations who rip people off? You lost my respect again, at least as far as this topic is concerned...

(P.S. I'm not kidding. If you actually give these corporations money under some bullshit guise of morality, I think you're being really stupid and should rethink your entire life. No joke!)
What are you on about here?

What are you on about here?
I'm just voicing contempt for people who support shitty business practices, in regards to the Rossman video. People who support shitty business practices are who enable these practices in the first place.

Back