Assassin's Creed Red

so why don't you just say what you mean instead of using words like SJW, woke, DEI etc?

SJW = Social Justice Warrior. These are virtue signalers.
DEI = Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. This is policy in government or corporations.
Woke = Misappropriation of a term/word used by African Americans, which SJWs use to describe themselves without realizing how silly they sound.

For example, you would be an SJW. And you might claim that you are "woke" to others to elevate your perceived social status.

That is a crash course in the terminology. Not really worth discussing it more here as it is off topic if not being discussed in relevance to the game.

SJW = Social Justice Warrior. These are virtue signalers.
DEI = Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. This is policy in government or corporations.
Woke = Misappropriation of a term/word used by African Americans, which SJWs use to describe themselves without realizing how silly they sound.

For example, you would be an SJW. And you might claim that you are "woke" to others to elevate your perceived social status.

That is a crash course in the terminology. Not really worth discussing it more here as it is off topic if not being discussed in relevance to the game.
no, what i mean is, why do you hide behind words like that instead of saying black people, the queers, stuff like that?

no, what i mean is, why do you hide behind words like that instead of saying black people, the queers, stuff like that?

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Almost every complaint about the black protagonist in the game set in Japan acknowledges he is black. That is where the disappointment comes from; an Assassin's Creed game set in Japan will split the play time between a black protagonist and a Japanese one. People wanted to play exclusively as a Japanese character. Did you even read what you wrote?
Like I said, you're an SJW. You're going out of your way to virtue signal without knowing why. It is clear you probably never played these games because you'd realize there have been black main characters in past Assassin's Creed games before. Origins had Bayek:

Bayek-of-Siwa-Assassins-Creed-Origins-4.jpg

Liberation had this black lady:

2014-01-16-product-14.jpg

The third game had Connor, a half native American guy:

maxresdefault.jpg

Black Flag's expansion had this black guy as a main character in the expansion:

Adewale-in-Assassins-Creed-Freedom-Cry.jpg

Egyptian game had an Egyptian looking guy. American games had a native American, and a black woman. Greek game had a Greek guy/woman. English game had an English brother/sister. French game had a French guy. Japanese game... splits the game time with a non-Japanese character. Can you comprehend the difference? Fans finally got the Assassin's Creed game they wanted in Japan but won't spend the whole time playing as someone local to the area.

I suppose we'll see how it pans out for Ubisoft. Between Ghosts of Tsushima and Rise of the Ronin we already have two recent games which follow the same formula, set in Japan, with Japanese main characters.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Almost every complaint about the black protagonist in the game set in Japan acknowledges he is black. That is where the disappointment comes from; an Assassin's Creed game set in Japan will split the play time between a black protagonist and a Japanese one. People wanted to play exclusively as a Japanese character. Did you even read what you wrote?
Like I said, you're an SJW. You're going out of your way to virtue signal without knowing why. It is clear you probably never played these games because you'd realize there have been black main characters in past Assassin's Creed games before. Origins had Bayek:

View attachment 655582

Liberation had this black lady:

View attachment 655583

The third game had Connor, a half native American guy:

View attachment 655584

Black Flag's expansion had this black guy as a main character in the expansion:

View attachment 655586

Egyptian game had an Egyptian looking guy. American games had a native American, and a black woman. Greek game had a Greek guy/woman. English game had an English brother/sister. French game had a French guy. Japanese game... splits the game time with a non-Japanese character. Can you comprehend the difference? Fans finally got the Assassin's Creed game they wanted in Japan but won't spend the whole time playing as someone local to the area.

I suppose we'll see how it pans out for Ubisoft. Between Ghosts of Tsushima and Rise of the Ronin we already have two recent games which follow the same formula, set in Japan, with Japanese main characters.

And this pressure to include out of place characters has been with us for almost a decade, we all remember scolding that Witcher 3 developers faced because they did not include certain type of minorities in a game that was based on Eastern European folklore:

https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/3/8719389/colorblind-on-witcher-3-rust-and-gamings-race-problem

And it was this consistent pressure from certain agenda driven reviewers, SJW activists, DEI complex over the past decade that has restricted developers art direction and expression outsourcing it to entities such as sweet baby inc. or other consultants who were more than happy to cash in on this trend. If I was a game developer and I had these consultants preaching to me and telling me to change my art or story direction I would be pissed as hell. In the end, we have ended with sterile and less immersive games or games that were never made because they did not fit our current day sensibilities. For example:

Volition told PC Gamer in August 2021, “We love [the old Saints Row games], but we also recognize those are games of a time. They made sense within that era, and we were able to do things that felt good back then. But that tone is not something that we feel like we want to do today.

And not only did these artistic restrictions end in a bad game, studio was also shut down, partially due to this:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2023...ion-games-after-disastrous-saints-row-reboot/

Last edited:
lol, you missed my entire point in a way that is actually kind of comical.

you said "people wanted to play exclusively as a japanese character." you don't see what's just plain weird about that statement and that couldn't make my point any clearer. people don't play AC games because you get to play as a black guy or a white woman or an asian guy or whatever. who the fuck actually thinks about the race of the player character when it comes "do i want to play this game or not?" (before anyone types out a reply, i address the culture vs race thing below)

your logical retort is going to be "but it's a game heavily focused on the setting/location/era/history! how can you have a black guy be a main character in feudal japan?!" i mean didn't they already explain that it's loosely based on some actual african guy who was granted samurai status or some shit? and even if that part wasn't the case, just for the sake of argument, then you can be damn sure it would be a part of the story because the choice is so obviously "against the grain" that the writer(s) intended it to be addressed during the game.

you next retort would probably be something along the lines of "yeah, even if there was that ONE black samurai guy, did they have to choose that ONE guy in the setting we all associate with asian people from japan?" to which i would reply, are we really going to pretend it's incomprehensible that the writers thought "hmm, there's like a whole sea of games lately with samurai guys set in feudal (or fantasy-feudal) japan, we need to think of ways we can add interesting perspective to the story so we're not immediately slammed with 'it's just another samurai game, kinda boring tbh'?" i mean people were literally saying this in the months leading up to the official announcement.

but all of that is almost irrelevant given what you said about "everyone wanted to play a japenese character." it's interesting to note that japanese is (without turning this into an even weirder discussion bordering on phrenology or some shit) really more of a reference to someone's cultural background and not racial, which i'm sure you would agree with, which ALSO furthers my point because obviously this black character, based on everything we know at this point, has been part of the culture (as portrayed by the game) long enough to be considered a samurai which means he's done something to earn that distinction - thus being japanese. of course there's room for different takes on that plot thread; if it was like, guy gets off boat on the shore of japan, kills a japanese guy who is attacking some other japanese guy, and then the guy he saved goes "wow so cool my guy, you're officially a samurai now." that would be stupid and even i would argue that's a weirdly random thread that feels out of place. but (and i imagine this is way more likely the case) if it's a background where this guy, either by choice or by force, was immersed in the culture, learning it over years and gaining the respect of his peers, that's actually interesting, cool, and sensible.

I just want to know if the game play will be more of a throwback and not a boring grind run around in a big empty world. Valhalla was big but ultimately boring without much challenge. There were a lot of tasks that were just meh. I want secret puzzles, challenges and stealth that are engaging and not meh.

In other stupid news, Japanese people have been know to be polite but xenophobic, so why should ubisoft make a game based in Japan, they aren't inclusive enough. A fish out of water has been a trope forever in entertainment. Tom Cruise was The Last Samurai and that movie came out in 2003. The 'message' is stupid and the people for and against it are short sighted. Identity politics is purposefully divisive to pit regular people against each other. I could go further but really all I want is a fun game.

I just want to know if the game play will be more of a throwback and not a boring grind run around in a big empty world. Valhalla was big but ultimately boring without much challenge. There were a lot of tasks that were just meh. I want secret puzzles, challenges and stealth that are engaging and not meh.

In other stupid news, Japanese people have been know to be polite but xenophobic, so why should ubisoft make a game based in Japan, they aren't inclusive enough. A fish out of water has been a trope forever in entertainment. Tom Cruise was The Last Samurai and that movie came out in 2003. The 'message' is stupid and the people for and against it are short sighted. Identity politics is purposefully divisive to pit regular people against each other. I could go further but really all I want is a fun game.
yeah, identity politics IS really stupid, but that doesn't mean someone taking a stance against a particular viewpoint that is based on identity politics means that person is ALSO playing identity politics. it's ok to take a stand against ignorant bullshit.

yeah, identity politics IS really stupid, but that doesn't mean someone taking a stance against a particular viewpoint that is based on identity politics means that person is ALSO playing identity politics. it's ok to take a stand against ignorant bullshit.
Fair enough and that ignorant BS covers both sides. It is a challenge to navigate these subjects because of how generalized the terminology and ideas are without regard for nuance and direct experience being considered. We are pitted against each other with an ultimatum of you agree with this view or that view and nothing else. And we often just argue and disagree being influenced by the 'message' from the 'two' sides of right or left.

I'm an asscreed game fan and I want this game to just be fun to play and not a generic bore.

lol, you missed my entire point in a way that is actually kind of comical.

you said "people wanted to play exclusively as a japanese character." you don't see what's just plain weird about that statement and that couldn't make my point any clearer. people don't play AC games because you get to play as a black guy or a white woman or an asian guy or whatever. who the fuck actually thinks about the race of the player character when it comes "do i want to play this game or not?" (before anyone types out a reply, i address the culture vs race thing below)

your logical retort is going to be "but it's a game heavily focused on the setting/location/era/history! how can you have a black guy be a main character in feudal japan?!" i mean didn't they already explain that it's loosely based on some actual african guy who was granted samurai status or some shit? and even if that part wasn't the case, just for the sake of argument, then you can be damn sure it would be a part of the story because the choice is so obviously "against the grain" that the writer(s) intended it to be addressed during the game.

you next retort would probably be something along the lines of "yeah, even if there was that ONE black samurai guy, did they have to choose that ONE guy in the setting we all associate with asian people from japan?" to which i would reply, are we really going to pretend it's incomprehensible that the writers thought "hmm, there's like a whole sea of games lately with samurai guys set in feudal (or fantasy-feudal) japan, we need to think of ways we can add interesting perspective to the story so we're not immediately slammed with 'it's just another samurai game, kinda boring tbh'?" i mean people were literally saying this in the months leading up to the official announcement.

but all of that is almost irrelevant given what you said about "everyone wanted to play a japenese character." it's interesting to note that japanese is (without turning this into an even weirder discussion bordering on phrenology or some shit) really more of a reference to someone's cultural background and not racial, which i'm sure you would agree with, which ALSO furthers my point because obviously this black character, based on everything we know at this point, has been part of the culture (as portrayed by the game) long enough to be considered a samurai which means he's done something to earn that distinction - thus being japanese. of course there's room for different takes on that plot thread; if it was like, guy gets off boat on the shore of japan, kills a japanese guy who is attacking some other japanese guy, and then the guy he saved goes "wow so cool my guy, you're officially a samurai now." that would be stupid and even i would argue that's a weirdly random thread that feels out of place. but (and i imagine this is way more likely the case) if it's a background where this guy, either by choice or by force, was immersed in the culture, learning it over years and gaining the respect of his peers, that's actually interesting, cool, and sensible.

You again missed the point and also moved the goal post because you don't really have an argument. You're likely just regurgitating what you've read online.

People have been wanting a game set in Japan for a while. And part of having a game set in Japan is playing as a Japanese protagonist. The one game that happens to be set in Japan splits play time with a non-Japanese character. As you can tell people got less enthusiastic once they heard the news. Your argument that gamers are inherently racist is quite wrong because as I pointed out you can play a number of black and non-white characters in previous entries. People didn't have a problem with those games. If the main character was a white guy in Japan, or a white guy in Mirage's Baghdad, people would be equally annoyed because it doesn't quite fit the setting.

You again missed the point and also moved the goal post because you don't really have an argument. You're likely just regurgitating what you've read online.

People have been wanting a game set in Japan for a while. And part of having a game set in Japan is playing as a Japanese protagonist. The one game that happens to be set in Japan splits play time with a non-Japanese character. As you can tell people got less enthusiastic once they heard the news. Your argument that gamers are inherently racist is quite wrong because as I pointed out you can play a number of black and non-white characters in previous entries. People didn't have a problem with those games. If the main character was a white guy in Japan, or a white guy in Mirage's Baghdad, people would be equally annoyed because it doesn't quite fit the setting.
The sad thing is that there is a fake battle here that never needs to happen. Asians from India to Japan are on the side lines for identity politics in the west and only show up when the left wants to call the right racist. From India to Japan to China or Korea they can be homogeneous because they aren't 'western' and no one on the left cares. Just stop with the mental twisting of history, it doesn't matter, tom cruise shouldn't be the Last Samurai any more than some barely known black guy from the 1500s should be a main character in a video game based in japan. This clown town I can't think for myself but I need to force my view of the how broken the world is on you needs to stop.

Two problems, they are claiming he is gay because the game allows both protags to romance anyone (like previous games).
And they are intentionally ignoring the fact that he was a real person, "samurai" label aside. "Real" should not be in quotes since he was, you know, real.

I don't expect much insight from 2 people who have never played a video game let alone AC game in their lives. Just trying to generate maximum outrage. Criticize the game if you want but do it properly.

DEI is bullshit anyway because it cancels entire groups (such as boys or white males) but it also ignores groups that have no voice and are completely unseen, such as the elderly and the infirm. Older people are barely represented in film, and not at all in gaming. If we really want to be inclusive then we need to include everyone, including those terrible white males who have repressed everyone else all these years. I’m a black woman, btw. A black lesbian woman.

In most MMO's you can choose what colour to be your character, and this is not so hard to implement in AC too if they want everyone to choose what they want.
But, no! :D

Back