Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Raid 1 fail

MavsX

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey got a question for fellow Gigabyte MB users. I noticed my computer was running ridiculously slow, so i rebooted and saw that my raid 1 had changed from "healthy" to "initialized". So i am assuming i had a hard drive crash. I installed Gigabyte's smart backup program utility to try and view the details of the array, but the program says no disks or raid defined. When i view the raid config. button, it says no disks connected.

Here are the specs of my PC

intel core i7 920
Gigabyte EX58-UD5
OCZ 12 GB ram
raid 1 was two 500 gig western digital cavier black sata drives
raid 5 is 4 seagate 1 tb drives.
nvidia 9800 gtx+
windows 7 professional 64 bit
seasonic 850 watt psu

Are there any tools i can download to view and see which drive crashed. Or at least view the arrays? The Bios array viewer is pretty much worthless. It doesn't give many options.

Thanks fellas.

Is the RAID1 array on a JMicron chip?

If so, I found a RAID manual for JMicron RAID install and repair.

It starts @ page 19 and says something about solving a mirror conflict.

I'm not sure if the info will help ya but it certainly won't hurt! :D

hey thanks for that link. Yeah, i'm not sure if it uses a jmicron chip. I'll have to check and see. It's whatever is on the motherboard. Crazy thing happened though. So yesterday it was acting all crazy. I shut it down last night before i went to bed, this morning i turn it on and i noticed on the post that the both raid arrays are now "healthy". So i don't know what is going on. The computer is fine it's fast; no sluggishness at all. Loading programs is quick and easy again. I guess i'm going to continue investigating.

i might also hit up gigabyte's forums.

I'll have to check and see. It's whatever is on the motherboard.

AKAIK you have three different disc controller chips on that board two of which will do RAID.

I'm thinkin you might wanna check it out in case something else happens and with RAID it's usually when not if. :D

I just rebooted and went into my raid config. Here is what it says..

Intel (R) Matrix Storage Manager option ROM v8.0.0.1039 ICH10R w RAID5
Copyright (C) 2003-08 Intel Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

IMG_1314.jpg

That would be the Intel RAID1 & 5 on the ICH10 controller....there was a thread here the other day wondering if it would work.

It's got nothing to do with the JMicron stuff.

And there ya go, that's your computer learnin' for today! :D

That would be the Intel RAID1 & 5 on the ICH10 controller....there was a thread here the other day wondering if it would work.

It's got nothing to do with the JMicron stuff.

And there ya go, that's your computer learnin' for today! :D

gotcha. Yeah, once you posted the jmicron stuff, i realized what you were talking about and went and found out what raid chip i was using. genius. thanks for your help man, i really appreciate it.

Hello MavsX,
i have the same motherboard with 2x1 TB WD disks... Last night i had the same problem.. While the computer was up and running i realized that it became sooo slow..
I restared it and I sow the <<initializing>> message during booting up and then a very slooooowww computer...
I installed Intel Matrix Storage manager and sow that my raid controller was initializing... After the process finished (a few hours later) the computer's high speed was back again..

My question to you is if this issue has happened again to you.. or do you believe that the initializing has started accidentally...

Thanks

Back