OCZ Technology Vendetta CPU Cooler for $6 after $10 MIR

I forgot to mention that it would be free or around 0.76 cents if you live close to a microcenter.

Great deal for those looking for a good efficient cooler. Should work well with overclocking too.

I just went and picked mine from the store.
It will come out for 75cents after rebate and if you want to add the time and gas to go pick it up then it would be a little more.

Last edited:
My girlfriend will not let me replace her "pretty" CM Golden Orb (which pretty much sucks) with the Vendetta. I found myself explaining about core unlocking and overclocking and voltages......

you know what...

screw it...

My girlfriend will not let me replace her "pretty" CM Golden Orb (which pretty much sucks) with the Vendetta. I found myself explaining about core unlocking and overclocking and voltages......

you know what...

screw it...

sir you should try these....

jk :p, but you should get the heatsink :)

Last edited:
Damn, that's a good deal. Even @ $10. I wish I lived near a MC..

Thanks for the heads up! Even at $16 ($10+6 shipping) it's a great deal! I'll find a use for it.....somewhere.....Anybody know if this is better than the Arctic Cooling Freezer7+/64?

I just got this thing installed in my GFs rig. It's sitting on a Phenom II X3 710 at 13 x 250 = 3250mhz at 1.36 vcore after vdroop (1.4 before vdroop) at 36.5C during the AMD Overdrive stress test. This is with Thermalright Chill Factor tif. Granted I haven't unlocked the fourth core yet, because I wanted to be able to monitor temps, but WOW. This thing really works well! It's giving my Thermalright HR-01 Plus a run for its money. (Though I suspect the HR-01 is better at higher wattage loads).

I noticed a few things about it:

When I removed the sticky tab stuck over the heatsink base, it left a very sticky, nasty residue on the heatsink base. I have no idea if the cooler was designed to do this (I can't imagine the engineers overlooked something so critical, but who knows), or if this is a design flaw. Either way, I didn't like it, and tried to remove it with both 100% alcohol and 100% acetone solution. Neither worked. By then, I had gummed up the base too much, so I decided to bite the bullet and lap the thing.... I was careful about wet lapping, since copper and aluminum have slightly different hardnesses and will wear at different rates when you lap them. I took it easy on the 220 grit, and moved up to 320, 400, 800, and 1000. This FINALLY got rid of the sticky residue. I hypothesize that it is very worthwhile to lap this cooler. I think it really helps even things out with the direct touch base. I was extra careful, though, and didn't lap too hard.

Also, the fan isn't so much loud as it is an annoying pitch at full spin. I am running the thing on the motherboard's "quiet" setting (2900rpm at AMD Overdrive stress test load) and I can't hear it over my own computer's whine. Not too shabby for a free cooler!! Take home message: if you're getting poor temps, lap off that sticky residue!

Last edited:
so what happens when she comes home and notices the Golden Orb gone?

I finally figured out how to convince her. Since the GoldenOrb would not allow for good OCing, I posed the question: "Would you rather have your computer look prettier, or have your games look prettier?" She chose games. Win. I was so tired of Coolermaster's mounting solution... every time you want to remove the CPU, you have to take the damn mobo out. And in an Antec NSK440B that's a PITA.

ordovician is lying to us all. Girls don't game/have interest in computers. Ahhhh raspberries!

Still Free... I was at Microcenter today and they have this on sale for $9.99 with a $10 MIR.

I think they also have it on the website to...

The new rebate ends on 1/31/10. Even with no rebate this is the best $10 cooler money can buy. Microcenter has had the Xigmatek (which makes this OCZ Vendetta) HDT-S1283 which is the exact same cooler for $15 bucks after rebate in the past. I have purchased 4 of the Xigmateks and 1 of the Vendetta's in the past. The only differance is the sticker on the fan and the box.

As far as the sticky residue left behind when removing the tape, I say it's a long hot ride over from China on that ship and that's what cuased it, probably not something that was even tought of when planning the cooler's journey to your home. To remove that junk I use Quikeen II. It's a electronic solvent cleaner made by Quest. The cleaner is non-conductive contains no oil and leaves no film. But good luck finding that stuff, I borrow it from work when needed. You can also use a spray brake parts cleaner, but be sure to clean that off with something else when your done.

I got one of these on a similar rebate awhile back. Cools well but the included fan is extremely noisy (though moves a lot of air).

The new rebate ends on 1/31/10. Even with no rebate this is the best $10 cooler money can buy. Microcenter has had the Xigmatek (which makes this OCZ Vendetta) HDT-S1283 which is the exact same cooler for $15 bucks after rebate in the past. I have purchased 4 of the Xigmateks and 1 of the Vendetta's in the past. The only differance is the sticker on the fan and the box.

As far as the sticky residue left behind when removing the tape, I say it's a long hot ride over from China on that ship and that's what cuased it, probably not something that was even tought of when planning the cooler's journey to your home. To remove that junk I use Quikeen II. It's a electronic solvent cleaner made by Quest. The cleaner is non-conductive contains no oil and leaves no film. But good luck finding that stuff, I borrow it from work when needed. You can also use a spray brake parts cleaner, but be sure to clean that off with something else when your done.

320 grit sandpaper works pretty well too :D I suspect some of the not-great reviews of this cooler are due to this residue. This thing really does perform about as well as my Thermalright HR-01 Plus.

I got one of these on a similar rebate awhile back. Cools well but the included fan is extremely noisy (though moves a lot of air).

Use your mobo's fan speed control. Mine never gets annoyingly loud, even at 100% load.

Use your mobo's fan speed control. Mine never gets annoyingly loud, even at 100% load.

Still too loud, I even undervolted it manually and still found it loud.

All comes down to personal opinion though I guess. I ripped the fan off and stuck on a 80mm fan (had to come up with my own attachment method as it is smaller than the stock fan) and it is tons quieter.

Still too loud, I even undervolted it manually and still found it loud.

All comes down to personal opinion though I guess. I ripped the fan off and stuck on a 80mm fan (had to come up with my own attachment method as it is smaller than the stock fan) and it is tons quieter.

Well, it's never quiet, but that isn't my concern for a gaming rig anyway. I can't hear it over a few 120mm Antec Tricools at medium. That's good enough for me. To each his own :)

Back