PC Audit through a website or local installation client

exchange keys

Limp Gawd
Hello,

Does anyone know of a way to audit a client's computer to gather the system information (especially "dxdiag" and "msinfo32") with very little user interaction?

Ideally, the user would log into a website, and their computer's info would be stored in the website's database cluster. If it comes with a disclaimer stating this, so they can agree, that would be great.

If this can't be done through a website, then something like Belarc Advisor will work as well.

Thank you.

You can't do it through a website. You could, but it would mean having the user reduce trust on the browser to install an ActiveX control, have that control do the inventory, then post it back up.

Normally, the way this is done is with code that runs in the domain login script, sniffs out the machine, and then reports to a database.

There are many canned solutions. Why do you need to write your own?

There are many canned solutions. Why do you need to write your own?

Actually, I think I posted this thread on the wrong forum; I don't actually want to write my own code to accomplish this if there are actual canned solutions for this. If you could name them, that would be great.

I've used Spiceworks before, and it fit the needs of a few clients.

Searching through the Network and Security forum may yield some results, as this topic seems more appropriate in that area.

I think he was looking for recommendations, not "let's punch it into google and hope for the best".

Dunno if I agree -- he pretty explicitly asked for names, not any recommendations. I've already offered my recommendation: write a log in script and store the information in a database. For canned software, I'd also recommend Microsoft's own System Center Configuration Manager, which is the new name of System Management Server.

Back