Current State of the Zotac 9300 ITX Bios

cliffman

n00b
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if the Zotac bios has evolved over time at all? My two main concerns are fan control and undervolting support. How can the system stay cool if the automatic fan settings don't work? Thank you

http://www.zotacusa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=46

Looks like it depends on the PCB version..

I'm thinking of buying one of these with an E5200 to replace my Zotac Ion, little bit more money but 20% cashback on ewiz.com right now would make it $90 for the board (with $20 rebate) and $50 for the E5200... then grab a 150watt Pico PSU w/ AC adapter for ~$70 on ebay...

But should run a lot faster in the same size / only put out a little bit more heat and use a little bit more power.

Thanks, I looked at those forums a little bit but didn't see too much. Over the last week though I have learned that there is pretty much no plans to support undervolting. There is a man in Germany who made a custom bios to allow more overvolting, I am hoping he extends it the other way.

You can undervolt in Windows with RMClock Utility. But it seems this does not work with every CPU, it works for some Users and for others not...

You can undervolt in Windows with RMClock Utility. But it seems this does not work with every CPU, it works for some Users and for others not...

cool, I had never heard of that program, its worth a shot. Speedfan has about the same reputation right?

Yes, but speedfan does not show fan speed of the Zotac 9300 ITX...thats an issue Zotac has to fix...

Undervolting in Windows is the same as overclocking in windows - it can work perfectly or it can make your rig unstable/freezing, so i would remind you to read about the program and how it works.

Cheers

This lack of undervolting is, aside from the lack of a third SATA port in the current revision, probably the biggest downer on this board. I guess I'll have to see whether or not I can undervolt the E5200 with RMClock, but non-certain methods always make me nervous when it comes to hardware "modification". Can't afford to have stuff breaking ;)

think someone has e-mailed zotac about the undervolting option in bios, an they said its not gonna happen because it can make the system unstable.... stupid, if u ask me. ALL intel cpu gets way to much V, my q8200 gets 1,23V hven it needs only 1,01V. so using precious 12V, that generates heat and noice I dont need. i need my 12V for my gpu :)

Exactly, especially with quads undervolting would provide tremendous power and heat savings. I may have to look at new board options when it comes the time to upgrade the CPU past a dual core :(

Yes, but speedfan does not show fan speed of the Zotac 9300 ITX...thats an issue Zotac has to fix...

Undervolting in Windows is the same as overclocking in windows - it can work perfectly or it can make your rig unstable/freezing, so i would remind you to read about the program and how it works.

Cheers

So could you describe a little in detail how you control fans on zotac? Speedfan doesn't really work, and from what I have read, you can only set a fan at a specific speed in the bios. Many forums say to replace the front fan with a pwn fan? Does this fan automatically adjust itself?

Cliffman, I think you misunderstood my upper posting, I only mentioned that it is not possible to read out fan speeds (an issue that ZOTAC has to fix - year is 2009 and this is not possible for them ?! *shame on you ZOTAC!*)

I am adjusting all my fans at manual mode in bios, the fan speed of my BQ silent wings 120mm front fan is adjusted with an zalman fanmate 2 (half of its possible fanspeed works good for me) and the fan speed of my Scythe Shuriken Rev. B is set to Medium or 75% (on hotter days) in bios.

Sorry for the misunderstanding cliffman.

i wish someone could modify the bios to allow under volting options this would help greatly

Jen

Cliffman, I think you misunderstood my upper posting, I only mentioned that it is not possible to read out fan speeds (an issue that ZOTAC has to fix - year is 2009 and this is not possible for them ?! *shame on you ZOTAC!*)

I am adjusting all my fans at manual mode in bios, the fan speed of my BQ silent wings 120mm front fan is adjusted with an zalman fanmate 2 (half of its possible fanspeed works good for me) and the fan speed of my Scythe Shuriken Rev. B is set to Medium or 75% (on hotter days) in bios.

Sorry for the misunderstanding cliffman.

Oh don't worry, I just never had to worry about fan speeds so much on a build. Normally they just kind of work. So It looks like you kind of just have to set a static fan and make sure that it keeps the computer cool. Thanks for the info.

i wish someone could modify the bios to allow under volting options this would help greatly

I read somewhere that a man in Germany hacked the bios and added more (over)voltage options to the zotac bios. I hope that he adds undervolting too!

Oh don't worry, I just never had to worry about fan speeds so much on a build. Normally they just kind of work. So It looks like you kind of just have to set a static fan and make sure that it keeps the computer cool. Thanks for the info.

I read somewhere that a man in Germany hacked the bios and added more (over)voltage options to the zotac bios. I hope that he adds undervolting too!

any link to this other bios and person who made it?

Jen

With that Mod-Bios from wildgunman there is NO undervolting possible! - It has finer settings for the CPU fan and allows you more overvolting.

Here is the link to the Mod-Bios of wildgunman: http://uploaded.to/file/0nw6jt

Quote of wildgunman (a user of the http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community):

-NB voltage can be set up to 1,45v (instead of 1,25v)
-Ram voltage can be set up to 2,2v (instead of 2,1v)
-Finer steps for the manual fan control of the CPU cooler (CPU Fan can be set lower than the original "quiet"-option)

All changes at YOUR own Risk - a hacked Bios is such a deep systemmodification, it can destroy your MB and you can lose your warranty!!!

Undervolting is, as former posted by me, possible with RMClock Utility under Windows but it seems not to work for everybody.

Cheers RoddY

With that Mod-Bios from wildgunman there is NO undervolting possible! - It has finer settings for the CPU fan and allows you more overvolting.

Here is the link to the Mod-Bios of wildgunman: http://uploaded.to/file/0nw6jt

Quote of wildgunman (a user of the http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community):

-NB voltage can be set up to 1,45v (instead of 1,25v)
-Ram voltage can be set up to 2,2v (instead of 2,1v)
-Finer steps for the manual fan control of the CPU cooler (CPU Fan can be set lower than the original "quiet"-option)

All changes at YOUR own Risk - a hacked Bios is such a deep systemmodification, it can destroy your MB and you can lose your warranty!!!

Undervolting is, as former posted by me, possible with RMClock Utility under Windows but it seems not to work for everybody.

Cheers RoddY

rmclock wont work for me sadly as it doesnt know what processor i am useing, i wont go in to details of this problem

is there a BSEL mod out there to undervolt a cpu? or is that even possible of a idea

Jen

Sorry, but I don`t know if there is a BSEL mod out for the Zotac 9300 ITX. - It is how it is, for some RMClock works for some not...

RoddY

Back