Aion Beta

OceaNz

n00b
Hey guys was just wondering if anyone here played in the Aion beta and if so what were your thoughts on the game?

I havn't but I just built a computer for someone who is,

A venice CPU and a 9600GSO wont do it, an HD4870 and PII X3 will just fine XD.

I think its a great game, however, it feels like another chapter from WoW. That being said, I wont ever play WoW again, this game, I will. Already pre ordered it.

Honestly feels too easily, a Chinese person hit 45 in after roughly 2 weeks of playing starting from scratch with only a OOP buffer. With that said, I've been looking forward to this game for quite some time, so I'm definitely getting it.

I have tried the last few MMOs such as AOC, Warhammer, and Darkfall. I found myself disappointed by all of these I hope that Aion will offer more enjoyment and hopefully have a long life.

Is there an open beta in the US yet? Or is it just in Korea? Definitely interested

I played the last closed beta and I thought it was rather fun. I played Lineage 2 for about a year and WoW for a few months. Aion feels a lot like WoW but with better graphics.

I've spent quite a good deal amount of time with this game, and stability was pretty damn good so far for 2 weekend beta events. GameGuard is a piece of shit though, that's the one stability problem I had on my laptop. Thanks to the Koreans & Chinese for bug testing the game so far ;) .

Performance was great. No problems on my Desktop in sig. Frames were high with full AA/AF on and Bloom set to Type 2. It even ran pretty well on my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop. Specs can be given if asked.

So far, I'd have to rate it around a strong 7-8, based upon the initial 1-16 levels i've been exposed to. My final impressions will be dependent on more content released by NCSoft. I'd also want to see the later game (post 20, to make my final judgment on whether I'd be playing it at release).

I believe the NDA is down, so here's some of my experiences thus far:

So far, my characters: (whisper me/add me as a friend if you want during these weekends)

Siel Server

Gaiden (16 Sorc) [Elyos]
Mr Fate (10 Templar) [Elyos]
Ulquoria (11 Assassin) [Asmodian]

I'll post a short summary of what I've observed in each class.

Gaiden - Sorc

Really great damage but, it comes at a cost. Survivability is really poor IF you let the mob attack you. Thankfully, Sorcs have enough utility/spells to keep the enemy at bay with sleep, cold snare, knockback, roots, castable self shield, backwards blink that you should be able to take on 2-3 mobs if you're extremely proficient at managing all your spells. On the off hand though, is that you better hope your spells connect, since having one spell resisted can mean death. Damage is also consistently strong, but you'll be mostly dealing damage with fire spells/ice spells to snare. Mana conservation also sucks hard till you get to lvl 9. You'll burn through a good chunk of it just using regular spells and forced to rest pretty often. That's my main critique of the class as pretty much every other single class does not seem to have this issue (besides maybe spiritmasters, though i'm not sure). Basically, if you can micro-manage really well, this is a GREAT class to have on your team. If I am paired with a cleric/chanter, I can PvP groups of enemies 2-3 without any problem as CC control over them (if you're able to pull off the spells with heavy pressure) can turn the tide of battle. Also, there's no crits with spells, unfortunately. Overall, a great range DPS class, and I can take Rangers pretty damn easy... unless I've been dueling noob rangers lol. Also, there's an "ultimate" attack for the class and its basically a 2 sec cast nuke, that deals about 900-1k damage. Pretty dang great finisher. 1v1, I can pretty much take on any class without fear of losing 100%, with the exception of the healer classes since they can almost burn through all my MP (they cant kill me, but I cant kill them insanely fast either). So far, its been my favorite class but we'll see how it stacks up post 20.

Ulquoria - Assassin

To start, really great damage especially for melee which makes up for the lower HP/Armor. Dual weilding is also badass :p . You can either dual weild swords or daggers. One huge perk to this class is seeing the crits go off and you can literally mow down mobs if you crit. I'd definitely say this is the class that has the highest DPS, besting the Sorc. The sorc is probably #2 in DPS, and you take down mobs quicker (sometimes), but you have less downtime since HP regen while resting is way quicker than MP regen for a sorc. The assassin is also a little more difficult to use than a warrior as your attacks are positional (backstab from the back deals 150~ dmg non crit, but if hit from the front, deals about 20). Also to note, the crits are insane; My backstab if used with other skills can deal 820 damage in one hit, but extremely rare stacked with previous dmg skills enabled (which is tough to do in pvp to waste time to cast it) . I also have to position myself perfectly. Really difficult to pull off in actual PvP if you're not concentrated on, which is rare since everyone targets you lol. The damage attacks are strong, you have a counterattack stun if you evade their attack, 100% evasion skill for one attack, and stealth too. The stealth works like WAR where you can see slight glimpses of stealth, your red name disspears and you can basically get the opener if you position yourself well. Really fun class. Depending on how this class is post 20, I might play it at release over the Sorc...

Mr Fate - Templar

Tank class that I just hit 10 last night. I haven't spent too much time with him just yet but he looks pretty decent with his shield abilities. Warriors actually deal a decent amount of damage, and have a lot of survivability. You can churn through 3-4 even level mobs without too much worry about resting whereas I'd normally have to rest at around 2-3 for the sorc, and about 2-4 with the assassin (depending if I crit a lot). Also, you get a lot of utility for tanking once you actually hit Templar. I do want to spend more time with his skills before I post a more detailed description. Basically though, he has a lot of skills that work in conjunction with one another (shield ability off an attack), shield bash, shield counter attack stun, and of course, a lot more HP/AC than any other class. Its supposedly the most defensive class in the game. I think I have near 1k hp now, and my lvl 16 sorc only has like 700 lol. More detailed summary of his survivability to come.

General observations from my friend, Mnem.

- "all characters on the same server share the same warehouse (bank). So its easy to move items back and forth without having to send it in the mail.

- gathering is one skill. So you don't need to level up gathering iron seperately from herbs. Its all just one big gathering skill.

- there are six crafting professions in the game - armorsmith, weaponsmith, cook, alchemist, sewing and handicrafting. You are able to have all six crafting professions and grind them up to lvl 300. However you can only be a master at one profession, leveling that to 399. Handicrafting is jewlery, bows and staffs. Sewing is cloth and leather armor.

- you get xp for crafting and gathering.

- the game has titles like Warhammer, just not as much. There appeared to be about 50ish you could unlock from questing and more than 10 military ranks. but unlike WAR the titles have stat boosts attributed to them. So using the title "Master of Flight" givs you faster flight speed and more flight time.

- there's an NPC that lets you change your characters appearance. there are also dyes available in game to change the color of your armor.

- they're adding xp for killing players in rvr.

- combat looks a lot like Fury's did. one thing i like is you can see the impact of swings and there are actual blocks, dodges and parries. it isn't like WoW or WAR where those involved are just swinging and swinging. if you hit somebody it looks like you hit them. And if you dodge you can see them swing and miss.

- The game uses CryEngine 1. This is a slightly earlier version of the engine used to run the game Crysis. Considering the detail in this game and how nice everything looks its amazing how smoothly the game runs.

- Players have private stores. So you can take items, put them up for sale in your private store and players can run up to you, right click and see what is available. so you will have players in this game who are basically just crafters and sellers. there's also an AH.

- Item skin changes. Apparently for some items you are able to change the appearance of the item in game. Basically you have the stats stay the same, but change the look of armor and weapons."

-------------

My general observations:

Chain attacks - The basic attack form of the game. Every class has an attack that is stronger than other attacks that requires other attacks to trigger it. Pretty interesting since you have to watch your cooldowns on your skills and choose each chain (since you could have 2 attacks that have the same trigger). I actually like it quite a lot.

Flying - So basically, you can fly post lvl 9/10 (after you get your career change). Flying is actually pretty damn awesome in the game. It's implemented pretty well that its not terribly OP as there are some zones you are not allowed to fly in (since you can just complete quests by flying to destination), making it ez mode lol. But, you can glide everywhere. It's really hard to describe the flying mechanics, but you can basically glide off any incline and make traveling long stretches really fun :D Also in areas that you can fly, you can fly up, down, etc to get altitude, and glide to gain speed, and switch between modes, etc. It's definitely a game changing mechanic so hopefully everyone in beta has tried it as it really changes the aspect of the game. BTW, its cool that they implement quests to take advantage of your flying mechanism too. Like quests that make you hunt in the air, or things that normally would be out of reach, etc. Also, in the Abyss (main PvP/RvR area), you are flying mostly I think. In addition, when you're rank 30/40, you can get new wings that make your wings look more badass and fly for longer durations.

Abyss - I need to find more details about it, but basically its like the WAR RvR ranking system as well as the main PvP attraction area.

Manastones - Basically enchancements for each armor/weapon. Each armor/weapon generally has at least 1 slot to put a manastone in. I've had armor that fills up 3 slots. They range from evasion, accuracy, parry, crit, +HP, +MP, etc etc.

"Ultimate" attacks - There's this bar under your HP/MP called "DP" that fills up after you kill more and more mobs. Once you get like 2000 DP, you can use a lvl 1 DP attack that is stronger than your regular attacks. The actual skill is unique to each class. For example, my sorc's regular 2 sec nuke deals about 300-400 w/o chain following it and the lvl 1 DP deals about 800-900. it caps at lvl 2/3 DP i think, as I can go up to 4000 DP and that deals about 1k damage. It varies from class to class though, as to what kind of skill it is. Interesting thing is that the bar empties if you logout or die, so people aren't spamming this skill on end and its really worth it to pull off.

Character customization - is awesome. Like SWG if anyone's played that. Pity there's no image designer in game to change you :p But yeah, you can customize almost every single feature of the face to a strong detail. Pretty sweet considering its been a while since I've played an MMO that has a deep character customization. It helps to make your own character unqiue.

I think healer classes are quite a bit OP right now though (in early game, not sure how they stack later) :p Their survivability is absolutely insane for being able to heal and wearing chain mail (2nd highest AC). Their damage is pretty strong as well. And their MP conservation is high too. I need my SIN to be a little higher to test out whether they're the counter class. I guess thats the reason why I see so many chanters/clerics running around.

I also have a friend with a 10 Gladiator, 12 Ranger, 11 Assassin and 16 Chanter (they have too much time IMO, heh). So I'll have access to play 6/8 classes available (besides Spiritmaster/Cleric), to give a limited but some impression of each class.

Uhh I think that's about it for now. Any questions, feel free to ask. I'll probably post more detail about each character after the next beta event in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Sorry, i just attacked this thread with a wall of text :eek:

Hey gaiden I was on same server and side as you. Agree with what you said. So far i like it alot. What is funny is before this beta my guild was playing war every day. After the beta you can't get anyone to log into war. We are all waiting for Aion to come out now.

I think I might roll a glad. From what I have seen they are pretty badass.

Hey gaiden I was on same server and side as you. Agree with what you said. So far i like it alot. What is funny is before this beta my guild was playing war every day. After the beta you can't get anyone to log into war. We are all waiting for Aion to come out now.

I think I might roll a glad. From what I have seen they are pretty badass.

Cool, i'll probably be on my sorc trying to get high enough to get into the Abyss to give it a try. Hit me up if you'd like another competent sorc on your side :D

Yeahh.. I quit WAR about 4-5 months ago and haven't looked back.. I posted earlier the reasons why but basically lack of incentive for the "war".. no driving purpose to really log in =/. Pity too, since I liked my BW and AM.

Glad's are beasts... I'm hoping my friend levels it up higher so I'd have more experience with it. They just look badass with the huge polearm and their damage is pretty impressive for a tank.

Sorry, i just attacked this thread with a wall of text :eek:

I thought it was a good read. :D As an ex WoW-addict I've been reluctant to start another MMO, but Aion is looking more and more attractive as I read people's experiences with the beta.

In the videos I've seen with the US dev team they say it closer to "eye-on".

according Swifty's video (the WoW warrior) mages are overpowered right now and no other class even comes close. He says he really like the game and may even quit WoW O_O.

Cool, i'll probably be on my sorc trying to get high enough to get into the Abyss to give it a try. Hit me up if you'd like another competent sorc on your side :D

Yeahh.. I quit WAR about 4-5 months ago and haven't looked back.. I posted earlier the reasons why but basically lack of incentive for the "war".. no driving purpose to really log in =/. Pity too, since I liked my BW and AM.

Glad's are beasts... I'm hoping my friend levels it up higher so I'd have more experience with it. They just look badass with the huge polearm and their damage is pretty impressive for a tank.

Looks like all my guild will be playin. We will prob have around 60 at launch.

Yet Another KimChi game....

Grind~Grind~Grind~Grind~~~~~~~~~~
Endless monster fighting, and all quest are either killing monsters or talk to a NPC....

completely boring and brainless... It have a good start, but it gets sick sooner or later..
It's like Lineage 2... It have a good starting point, but it gets lame.......

I really suggest people to look some other game than KimChi game, they all the same style all over again..

Endless monster fighting, and all quest are either killing monsters or talk to a NPC....

completely boring and brainless... It have a good start, but it gets sick sooner or later..

I really suggest people to look some other game than KimChi game, they all the same style all over again..

did you play the game or are u just making assupmtions? People in the beta says lvling speed is similar to WoW and there is almost no xp grinding.

It's true, I don't think I ever went out to kill mobs just for exp. Any mob I had to kill came from quests.

I'm not sure about the exp/quest/grind from 30+, but from 1-20, it wasn't bad at all, and thats with me rushing through a lot of content I could have gotten exp from. Also, NCWest is westernizing the MMO from its China and Korea counterparts by giving exp from PvP & gathering, along with adding lots of quests with releasing it with patch 1.5 ; (whereas Korea/China are 1.3 or less.)

Keep in mind, we're talking about the NA release.. while they're practically the same game, NCSoft is changing it slightly to cater to the NA/EU crowd.

game doesn't even come close to lineage 2 in terms of grind and quest
it takes less than a day of play time ( as in less than 24 hrs ) to get lvl20+ even for new player as long as you follow quest line

I'm not sure about the exp/quest/grind from 30+, but from 1-20, it wasn't bad at all, and thats with me rushing through a lot of content I could have gotten exp from. Also, NCWest is westernizing the MMO from its China and Korea counterparts by giving exp from PvP & gathering, along with adding lots of quests with releasing it with patch 1.5 ; (whereas Korea/China are 1.3 or less.)

Keep in mind, we're talking about the NA release.. while they're practically the same game, NCSoft is changing it slightly to cater to the NA/EU crowd.

can you believe they are adding 93 new stigma skills with 1.5 patch O_O

game doesn't even come close to lineage 2 in terms of grind and quest
it takes less than a day of play time ( as in less than 24 hrs ) to get lvl20+ even for new player as long as you follow quest line

Lineage 2 wasn't that hard to level from 1-20 also, it took me about 1-2 hours just to get to lv20+ and class transfer. but to max out everything, it takes you like 2 years....

Quest system for L2 and Aion are essentially the same, they are all talk and kill type...

been playing since close beta, get bored in 2 weeks...

Lineage 2 wasn't that hard to level from 1-20 also, it took me about 1-2 hours just to get to lv20+ and class transfer. but to max out everything, it takes you like 2 years....

Quest system for L2 and Aion are essentially the same, they are all talk and kill type...

when l2 initially came out it took you days,weeks and month to get single level
and there was hardly any quest that was worth time in l2 that has exp reward.
and you talk about quest been talk and kill type mostly i think this goes for pretty much every mmo out there, you either collect or kill after talking to npc.
p.s imo it seems that MMO isn't your thing and you shouldn't be giving people advise on mmo to others, because in every mmo there will be hardcore grind aspect weather it be EXP (l2)/GEAR(wow)/RR(war) etc.

Go play DarkFall or wait for Mortal Online.

Sounds like any MMO with quest objectives that involve you to collect X, kill Y or talk to Z, is boring.. well, what else? It's pretty easy to create a unique,dynamic world game for a single player experience.. much harder for a MMO.

There hasn't been a successful sandbox MMO in a very long time.

what MMO doesn't involve quests that are "talk and kill"?

"Grind~Grind~Grind~Grind~~~~~~~~~~
Endless monster fighting, and all quest are either killing monsters or talk to a NPC.... "

^Sorry but it doesn't sound like you've played the game, just a asian mmo stereotype.

what MMO doesn't involve quests that are "talk and kill"?

"Grind~Grind~Grind~Grind~~~~~~~~~~
Endless monster fighting, and all quest are either killing monsters or talk to a NPC.... "

^Sorry but it doesn't sound like you've played the game, just a asian mmo stereotype.

not mmo stereotype, it just they all essentially the same style...

and that kind of style seriously bring people's brain down..

all you do is keeps killing and killing and killing... what else can you do ? is there a objective to the game itself? or just showing off how good your gear is? how high your level is?

not quite sure if people count Guild War as MMO, but that game truly bring a better experience with multiplayer game...

its the matter of how people play games these days..

I been seeing too many people just brainlessly click and go, trying to kill the same monster over and over again for 5 hours straight.. with no storyline and w/e what it suppose to have...
and that is how KimChi game goes....
One good reason why WoW become the most popular MMORPG...

Well if anyone as a beta they dont want anymore Id gladly take it off your hands. :D

not mmo stereotype, it just they all essentially the same style...

and that kind of style seriously bring people's brain down..

all you do is keeps killing and killing and killing... what else can you do ? is there a objective to the game itself? or just showing off how good your gear is? how high your level is?

not quite sure if people count Guild War as MMO, but that game truly bring a better experience with multiplayer game...

its the matter of how people play games these days..

I been seeing too many people just brainlessly click and go, trying to kill the same monster over and over again for 5 hours straight.. with no storyline and w/e what it suppose to have...
and that is how KimChi game goes....
One good reason why WoW become the most popular MMORPG...

and guildwars is different how? I played guildwars, it's just as you described.."kill kill kill", and if you go back to town everything respawns, in the same spots everytime. Bascially the game is a series of instances.

and guildwars is different how? I played guildwars, it's just as you described.."kill kill kill", and if you go back to town everything respawns, in the same spots everytime. Bascially the game is a series of instances.

the matter of "kill" is you are actually interact with the game world instead of npc standing there ask you to do things for award..
and no click and kill of course.. the game is a lot different between them.

if you truly play guildwar, you should know what I am talking about compare to kimchi game...

the matter of "kill" is you are actually interact with the game world instead of npc standing there ask you to do things for award..
and no click and kill of course.. the game is a lot different between them.

if you truly play guildwar, you should know what I am talking about compare to kimchi game...

um I don't understand. Quests in guildwars are exactly NPC standing there ask you to do things, and then u return to them for reward. Also, yes you do click on a mob and use skills to kill like every other mmo. And wtf is a kimchi game?

um I don't understand. Quests in guildwars are exactly NPC standing there ask you to do things, and then u return to them for reward. Also, yes you do click on a mob and use skills to kill like every other mmo. And wtf is a kimchi game?

I guess you haven't play much of Guid war, the NPC interact with players...
that is how the quest goes...

and what I mean by click and kill means the Ai just brainless...makes player click and go with no second thought..
not all MMO are like that, only kimchi games ....

if you don't know what Kimchi is, go search up your dictionary...

It is taking over 2 days to DL the 5+ gigs of info for the beta. I got my card from my preorder. I wish it would hurry up. I took a break from WoW and I hope this game doesn't let me go back.

i play WoW. it's a love/hate relationship. i wanna move on. saw this Aion business @ frys and breifly checked out the box. went home and /google. watched numberous videos of all kinds of different stuff. of course the CG looks great. i love the wings aspect of it. it really seemed like sumthing i'd like to check out. until i saw sum pvp video. i'm guessing most of the gameplay videos i saw didn't have much melee so the spells looked fluent enough. this pvp video i watched was only melee. it looked so damn slow & VERY stiff. extreme turn off. i might still give it a whirl out of shits & giggles, but from what i saw was a disappointment.

confirmation of stiff movements in pvp and/or just melee?

It is taking over 2 days to DL the 5+ gigs of info for the beta. I got my card from my preorder. I wish it would hurry up. I took a break from WoW and I hope this game doesn't let me go back.

You do realize that the closed beta are only in phases right? And are currently only during bi-weekly weekends.

The on-going schedule:

Closed Beta Event #4 - July 17-July 20 Focus: Elyos and Asmodian levels 1-25
Closed Beta Event #5 - July 31-August 3 Focus: TBD
Closed Beta Event #6 - August 14-August 17 Focus: TBD

And then Open Beta starts.

You do realize that the closed beta are only in phases right? And are currently only during bi-weekly weekends.

The on-going schedule:

Closed Beta Event #4 - July 17-July 20 Focus: Elyos and Asmodian levels 1-25
Closed Beta Event #5 - July 31-August 3 Focus: TBD
Closed Beta Event #6 - August 14-August 17 Focus: TBD

And then Open Beta starts.

So...is my card from Gamestop for Open Beta?

So...is my card from Gamestop for Open Beta?

No, its for closed beta, but even if the client downloaded tonight or tomorrow or the day after, you can't play till July 17th, sorry if I confused you.

You have access to closed beta, I was under the impression you were wanting to play almost right this instant.

Back