Best case for my new iPhone 3GS?

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
i have a first gen iphone that ate the pavement 2 weeks ago (prolly only second time i ever dropped it, so im good with phones normally) and i have been holding out using an old school razr v3, so i am going to be picking up the new iphone. white or black? leaning towards white...

anyway, i am definitely getting the invisishield for it but i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good case (link would be nice). profile and size is everything. so far, i find these to be pretty sweet. ideas?

I would easily recommend either the Incase Slider if you are using a shield, or if you are willing to remove it, the Ivyskin Quattro T4, which includes a glass-like screen which in my use hasn't changed the way the screen reacts at all. Both give good protection. There are reports of the T4 scratching the phone alone the silence button side, but if you push the button into the right position it should slide right in.

Be careful if you're getting an invisible shield. Sometimes the tolerances on the cases are pretty tight so even the thickness of the shield can be an issue. Although the screen protector should be fine and most cases are designed with one in mind.

Ive got a griffin iclear case for my 3g and its excellent

just make sure you take your time when fitting the screen protector, i didnt and i had to buy another one as i had air bubbles

Just ordered an Incase Slider for my 3G S. $24 off bestbuy ebay. I spent a few hours looking at different cases, this looked to be one of the nicer ones.

I'm debating, but leaning toward the Capsule Neo. I need something safe, effective, and classy enough I can take to court with me.

Still need to figure out how to get this thing insured. Total BS that you can't do it through AT&T. Hopefully I can add it on to one of my other policies.

I've always had an aversion to a device you're supposed to use heavily, but must protect behind an inch of plastic.

I just bought me a case today. I think it was one of the agent18 or something clear case's.

Now im looking for a belt pouch that use's a magnet instead of velcro.

yeah i always have my phone in my pocket and avoided cases mostly because it adds bulk but i have been more clumsy of late...

need to stop drinking :)

Otterbox, best case for Iphone. They rate you can drop the phone 3-6 feet onto pavement with no breaking

I have both the DLO jam jacket and the iPhone 3g flip magnet case from Piel Frama. I like both but I ultimately decided on the Piel Frama case cause it protects the screen and it reeks of class. It's expensive but you definitely get what you pay for; made with real leather in Spain. I bought it on Amazon. Www.pielframa.com

IMO no case. All they do is add thickness. Even if the phone starts looking really bad, just disassemble it and replace the plastic or whatever. Most of them don't help much if you drop your phone anyway.

IMO no case. All they do is add thickness. Even if the phone starts looking really bad, just disassemble it and replace the plastic or whatever. Most of them don't help much if you drop your phone anyway.

Exactly. I love the shape and feel of mine naked. I think I'll take the risk...

I've tried multiple cases and returned them all.

thats not a bad point...and some of the parts cost as much as these cases...either way i will def. get invisishield and dropping it just won't be an option.

btw Brahmzy your rig is ridiculous

Last edited:
Incase Slider with a Steinheil Crystal screen shield! It's an awesome combo.

has anybody tried the switcheasy Capsule Rebel case...

I've been using the black RebelSerpent with my iphone 3G for some time and it is a great case. Great looks and protection, minimal bulk and comes with two screen protectors, a cover for the USB connector, dock adapter and video stand.

For me to get a case again it's going to have to seal to the phone REALLY well. I had an Agent 18 clear hard case for my 2G iphone and the tolerances were kind of wide. I could slide the phone up and down inside the case a couple mm's and it allowed dirt to get in there and basically acted like sandpaper on certain spots scratching the phone up somewhat.

So for my 3GS I'm going caseless for now unless I come upon a case that seal well so that won't happen again, otherwise what's the point?

For me to get a case again it's going to have to seal to the phone REALLY well. I had an Agent 18 clear hard case for my 2G iphone and the tolerances were kind of wide. I could slide the phone up and down inside the case a couple mm's and it allowed dirt to get in there and basically acted like sandpaper on certain spots scratching the phone up somewhat.

So for my 3GS I'm going caseless for now unless I come upon a case that seal well so that won't happen again, otherwise what's the point?

I have the Agent 18 clear hard case on my 3Gs right now. The phone does not move inside the case at all. Maybe you just had a bad case?

Ended up with the Switcheasy Capsule Rebel Serpent. Seems to get rave reviews.

Was debating on the expanded protection of the Otterbox Defender, but passed.

Ended up with the Switcheasy Capsule Rebel Serpent. Seems to get rave reviews.

Was debating on the expanded protection of the Otterbox Defender, but passed.

One note on the Otterbox, you would need either an anti-glare screen protector or try the baby powder trick to keep the touchscreen protector from sticking. It doesn't bother me to much since I got the anti-glare, but it's annoying that I have to spend more money to make a $50.00 item work. Otterbox suggest using skin oils, but that is very ineffective and keeps the screen looking dirty inside the case.

Let me know how you like the Serpent, I've been tempted to try it.

ought a serpent just because of this thread.... looks to be a pretty decent case, and the price is very reasonable... for 30 bucks I don't see why everyone doesn't at least try it

Last edited:
$30 unreal!? I got mine for $20 and had a tough time committing.. back in the day a good case would cost $10 or $15 tops. Back in the 90's.

Yeah heard about the problem with the Otterbox screen, not sure it'd mix too well with the oleophobic layer of the 3G S either so I decided to pass. Didn't roll with a screen protector on my 3G, don't intend to with the 3G S. I put a lot of faith into the tempered glass.

well i have to put off buying a case until i can actually get the phone. still can't decide though. many people on this thread have posted good products and i wish i could hold and try all of them and then decide. oh well. im picking up iphone 3GS a week from today.

--changed my previous post-----
30 bucks is a small price to pay for a little longevity.. I guess I have spent lots on crappy cases for my 2G , 3G and now 3Gs iphones, and they all end up in the trash with me not using any case at all.. 30 bucks seems reasonable for a case that I am actually happy with.

by the way.. totally off topic.. nice Nikon stuff, I am pretty happy with my 18-200mm VR on my D90, has some problems at 18mm but for an all around lens - its pretty nice.

Last edited:
Another recommendation for the Switcheasy Capsule Rebel Serpent. Accourding to iLounge, the best case out there right now of its type.

Every single case I've seen is way too bulky. Either naked or in my case InvisibleShield. It's a phone, not a priceless work of art.

Back