Windows 7 convert dynamic disk to basic

Imaulle

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a partition that is dynamic and is spread across my harddrive. I've been trying to find a partition program that will work with dynamic disks from Windows 7 but nothing seems to be able to read the partitions. anyone know of a working program that will let me rebuild the partiton without data loss?

thanks

Windows 7 x64 build 7077

If I remember correctly, you can't go backwards without wiping the drive/partition and reformatting it. If you gave more info as to how the partition is configured, we could go on, but XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc should all be able to read a dynamic partition just fine.

In XP I know theres an option to "take control" of a dynamic disk. Try the disk management tools in Win7, I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

In XP I know theres an option to "take control" of a dynamic disk. Try the disk management tools in Win7, I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

There is no "take control" option. If you boot into XP and there is a new dynamic disk, you have to "import" the disk for it to be seen properly.

There is no way to "convert" a dynamic disk to a basic disk. You have to back up the data elsewhere and repartition the disk from scratch to recreate it as basic disk.

If I remember correctly, you can't go backwards without wiping the drive/partition and reformatting it. If you gave more info as to how the partition is configured, we could go on, but XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc should all be able to read a dynamic partition just fine.

The Lazy Admin has a guide to edit the boot sector of a hd to convert it. I used it when I went from XP Pro to Vista Home Premium x64.

I had to use an old computer that had XP Pro on it to do the editing but it worked just fine.

and Home can not read dynamic just fine which is why the op is having problems. I fyou pay extra for the business version of Vista you can read dynamic disks.

You "can" convert dynamic disk to basic...I've done it a few times...and I doubt I'm dreaming.

Risky? Yes...there's a chance.

There is the fairly common method of using Disk Probe, as mentioned in the above link. Officially unsupported by Microsoft, yet...mentioned and used a bit.

There are also 3rd party utilities such as Acronis, or Paragon...I have used these on servers with success...servers with RAID hardware controllers even.

There is no "take control" option. If you boot into XP and there is a new dynamic disk, you have to "import" the disk for it to be seen properly.

There is no way to "convert" a dynamic disk to a basic disk. You have to back up the data elsewhere and repartition the disk from scratch to recreate it as basic disk.
So it's "import" instead of take control same result.
Do not "convert" anything - I lost my entire MP3 collection when I sleep pressed convert by accident...

The directly method is convert dynamic disk to basic disk. And you know finish this operation through the disk management on the condition that deletes all the dynamic volumes. So, maybe your user will complain about this. So, introduce you efficient software to finish the operation--Dynamic Disk Converter, it can realized the operation we just mentioned flawlessly. No matter you will use this immediately or not, you can consider it as an efficient method in the future about the Windows dynamic disk.

The hex editor method worked great for me when I did it a few months ago. I recommend it for the bold ones.

yeah you suck haha. i could never figure it out, I ended up just reformatting them lol

Back