Samsung NC10 Netbook Stuff!

Jodiuh

Supreme [H]ardness
I'll be playing w/ it and update the thread periodically w/ thoughts and impressions. Please throw in anything you've found useful while using your NC10!!

1st up...the unboxing! :)

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

Last edited:
Not without taking all the screws off. That's really the only real drawback for it. But, it's not that hard. I've probably taken mine apart about 8 times for hdd swaps and Wifi upgrades.

A few notes:
The screws: they're not Philips head, but Posidrive screws

The system will not support an intel 4965AGN, but will support a 5100 and 5300 just fine if you want to go with an N setup.

I have one of the original OCZ Core drives (V1)...my NC10 is the fastest booting computer in my house.

It runs Vista just fine; I actually got better battery life out of the system than in XP.

I'm not sure how much you care, but your XP key is easily readable. I actually lost the part where it says XP Home Edition ULPC, that text just rubbed off. Key's still visible though.

Sammynetbook.com is the NC10 community site, should you be interested.

I'm not sure how much you care, but your XP key is easily readable
Shhh!

Sammynetbook.com is the NC10 community site, should you be interested.
I just reged there. I was gonna toss up the ram question, unless perhaps you know. I see 04CA as the latest BIOS on Samsung's site, but there's reference to a 5CA here. I've picked up an 800Mhz chip from Fry's and ordered a CL4 667 Mushkin from the egg. Can it run @ 800 or would I be better off w/ the Mushkin?

The 945 chipset's going to keep you at 667, no matter what.

I don't know why the 05CA was pulled (or the CG), but I'm running 05CA on my Samsung without issue.

I can't honestly say I know what was fixed (they're not good about giving info on what BIOS updates are doing), or why it was pulled.

Ok, cool. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything special in the BIOS before the newegg ram comes in. It's CL4 anyway, so the perf compar to 800/CL5 should be close. I know ram speed matters little, but this thing needs all the power it can get!

I'm just loving this screen. It's MUCH easier on the eyes than the glossy HP. It seems as though the blacks are no longer grey as they were on the HP either...nice to see black again. :D The LCD hinge tilts further than the HP and accommodates a standing user nicely. The viewing angles continue to impress me as well. It's not perfect, but more than usable for such a small form factor.

At first the trackpad drove me nuts, NUTS! But after disabling side/bottom/chimera (the spinny thing) scrolling, pinch, and something else, I know have more space and it responds much better. For example, w/ all that crap running, I couldn't seem to "roll" for that slight movement required when working in a confined space. The machine has dedicated pg up/dw keys anyway.

The speakers sounded a little funny too, but getting rid of Samsung's EDS utility seems to have solved that problem. They're definitely tinny and not as strong on the low end as the HP were. They do the job, but can easily freak out if the highs get pushed too much. I might look into that speaker replacement mod.

So is 720p pretty much out of the question? Not a big deal, but it would be nice. Also, the Asus had an awesome 2 finger scroll/middle click and 3 finger right click. Can the Sammy do that?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, it's MUCH quieter than the HP. Although it's quite a bit porkier too. :D

Last edited:
There's something for 2 finger scrolling linked on Sammynetbook's forums...I haven't looked into it personally though.

720p is 1280x720, which is more than 1024x600...so it won't do it 1:1

FWIW, 720p will play fine with CoreAVC. I get around 80% CPU usage on my Aspire One with 720p h264 video that peaks at 8Mbps.

Thanks, I'll look into the gesture/touchpad stuffs later. Right now I'm looking @ the Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Ah, I forgot about CoreAVC. I just used the CCCP pack. Although I did manage to use Badaboom to kick down the res to 1024x576 and 2000kbps video, 320kbps. It looks friggin' great! But it takes about 15 minutes for a 2GB file. :p

EDIT: CoreAVC rocks! Who said 720p's wasted on a netbook!!?? :D Looks and sounds awesome!! CPU varies between 50 and 90.

Last edited:
Congratulations Jodiuh! Looks just like mine. :) You planning to run OSX on it? I have mine dual-boot w/XP & OSX. I have to say, I don't use my D620 much anymore since I got my NC10. It definitely does boot up fast and does everything I need it to. I have Office 2007 installed in XP & Office 2004 in OSX and both run perfectly. Love the battery life it gets.

Although I did manage to use Badaboom to kick down the res to 1024x576 and 2000kbps video, 320kbps. It looks friggin' great! But it takes about 15 minutes for a 2GB file. :p

Why on earth would you do this? Just because the resolution of the video is larger then the display doesn't mean you can't play it... :D Video players can on the fly re-size video for the past 10 years... All you are doing by re-encoding it is wasting time and killing the image quality.

You planning to run OSX on it?
I am! I've got W7 build 7068 up first, then Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and finally OSX. I've never used MAC stuff, so I'm pretty pumped.

Why on earth would you do this?
So it would play wo/ hit...hic....hicu...hitch...

Just because the resolution of the video is larger then the display doesn't mean you can't play it...
The res + bitrate play a pretty important part in determining whether or not the Atom will smoothly play back the video. 720p w/ high bit rate + CCCP proved to be a disaster. Transcoding that down in res and kicking down the bit rate allowed for a file that could be played back smoothly and while still looking much sharper than 480p.

Using CoreAVC enables smooth playback of the original 720p file, but seems to screw w/ the contrast ratio. And it will occasionally hitch now and then. Overall, I prefer the contrast of the transcode, but the detail of the original. Unfortunately the solution will be Samsung's NC30 w/ a 2ghz Atom and a dedicated Nvidia GPU for $100 more by the end of the year. And then I'll be bitchy because it almost plays GRID, but not quite. So Samsung will release the NC60 w/ a dual core Atom and that fancy smancy Larrabee chip that will save the world...and also play Grid. :p

First of all, codec packs are a no-no and CoreAVC gives you options for tweaking the video.

If you are looking to play GRiD, you shouldn't be looking at a netbook.

wow looks nice! been thinking about getting one for class.. is it worth it?

How exactly are we supposed to answer that for you? :p

Why do they give you system restore discs if it doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive? Just wondering if there is some special way to use it, short of buying an external drive.

Why do they give you system restore discs if it doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive? Just wondering if there is some special way to use it, short of buying an external drive.

On my AAO there was a restore partition that you can use. Being [H] I wiped that out the first day. XP doesn't belong on anything anymore. :D

siickk, thanks for posting, btw, love the picture with ur hand, the ruler, and the cd XD

I was gonna put my **** in a box, but we all know women don't surf the interwebs.

criccio: Do you just use VLC then? I'll check into the CoreAVC settings, thanks. And yes, I want to play Crysis on an OLED netbook w/ mind control in 2012. :D

The first reboot loaded Samsung's backup software and being [H] I let it run. Then I fully tweaked out XP wo/ reinstalling, cause I've too many other OS to worry about. It's been awhile since I've used XP and damn, it feels snappy! Also, my USB Media Card Reader/Ipod dock refused to recognize in Vista/W7, but worked fine in XP. Yes, it's ugly, but why not. :D

I'm gonna throw on W7 tonight. Woot!

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. Check the HD Playback thread.

ive had dick in a box stuck in my head ALL day, the song, not the object..

Awesome. Found this on sammynetbook forum:

"I just had a little chat with Samsung support. Apparently, the update for 07CA is "The advantage is the improvement in the performance of usage of the memory."

Also, it seems users reporting the intel menu's gone. I did kick up my GPU memory to 224 or 8, but I don't think it did much, heh.

FYI for those that have installed or thinking about installing OSX...

Besides swapping out the wifi card and the internal mic, everything seems to be working on it now, including the speakers & headphone jack (requires you to switch the settings between them) and touchpad scrolling works as well. I did a Google Video Conference with a friend yesterday using my BT headset and it worked very well.

Recently got this netbook. Quite happy with it so far. Dual booting XP and 7 for now...hoping to add a 3rd soon. Upgrades: 9 cell 7800 mAh battery off eBay, 2GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, and Dell 1505 N wireless card. The new battery is telling me I have 10 hours 25 minutes left @ 98% in Windows 7 RC with WiFi and bluetooth enabled, screen set to one above the minimum, and power plan set to balanced. Keep in mind this is when its just sitting at the desktop with nothing running. I would say 9 hours is feasible but really haven't put it to the test.

In my experience using the thing for say...movies will spend the battery within 3hrs using 7. XP will typically get another 1-2 hrs w/ my normal usage patterns which include 60% brightness, wifi on, and lots of browsing.

Very helpful pictures. My grandfather purchased one of these for trips and I have to say that I'm very impressed.

Back