used PS3....banned?

wfg97079

Limp Gawd
I got a used ps3 and when I try to signup for a PSN account it says "this account cannot be used with playstation network"
I called sony, they said it was probably banned and that they cant do anything about it unless I have the info of the original owner. The person I got it from got it second hand on ebay, not sure I can get it. Anyone run across this? The Playstation rep also didnt seem to think the ban was permanent but had no idea how long it would be. Anyonone know anything about this process?>

not worth it... tell the guy you got it from to give you your money back. you got a banned ps3.

Didn't even know you could get banned from PSN. They must've done something stupid in Home or something. You could try a full system restore (this will take a /long/ time) but there's no guarantee that'll work either.

If it were banned I'd think it'd say it was banned, not that the account couldn't be used. Are you sure you aren't doing something wrong on your end?

Did a full format, and a restore, dont know what I could be doing wrong, and Sony tells me its banned

Weird, what i know they ban accounts, not the actual console like microsoft does with 360 but they ban flashes units. on ps3 u can mod it so its weird.

Have another 2.5" sata drive? I imagine they do something like punkbuster does and ban hard drives. If you got a spare laying around it's worth a shot.

If it's banned, it's based on the PS3 serial/mac address. You can't permanently change that.

Tell the user you bought it from he sold you non-conforming goods which under the UCC (uniform commercial code) you are entitled to your money back or you will take him to small claims court and get the money back that way. Legally you are in the right to do this and should win the case.

Well, this is the risk you take buying used items from ebay. Ask for a refund, but don't threaten to take him to small claims court like Jared701 said.

You can't up and make a new account if the MAC address is banned. The actual network interface on the PS3 has probably been banned which means he's screwed. Mac addresses are asigned to each network capable device by the FCC.

The sony rep I spoke to said it wouldnt be permanent, but he had no idea how long it could be. Are there actually permanent bannings?

Do they sell third party network adapters for it? Maybe from Hong Kong? If so, you could connect via another MAC address.

If you are banned from online play, there is a good chance the PS3 was reported stolen.

This is why I wont buy any consoles. Screw Sony and Micro$haft.

Its no different than if you get your account banned from Steam or Gamespy. If you don't do anything stupid you won't get banned. Buying used consoles from people you don't know is a risk due to not know what the person was like with their console or what they did. You have nothing to worry about with a new console or buying from someone you know.

I agree it was probably some asshat who got the console banned in the first place... and again you took the risk when you purchased it used. BUT, if you provide sony with the documentation of the sale - it seems reasonable to reverse a permanent ban on the machine.

Again, this is assuming them to be reasonable - and they have no requirement to act in any such manner. Talk to a rep, and see what you can work out... if nothing else, use ebay and whatever payment method (credit card company/paypal/etc...) to file this as a misrepresented sale and get your money back.

Spoke to sony, they say no go. They say they cant and wont un-ban the system no matter what

Im not sure what the limitations are, does anyone know?
You can play games still, but you won't be able to download recent patches, update your console, nor anything else for that matter. So, you are techincally getting half the console. Even if you are not into online play, I suggest you get your refund one way or the other. There are many goodies available on PSN.
This is why I wont buy any consoles. Screw Sony and Micro$haft.

Are you dumb? How is that Sony/Msoft fault? It is no differnet than getting banned anywhere for doing somehting you were not supposed to.....

Eh sure u can play offline with a banned console.. but whats the point really.. just get a new one.

If the previous owner didn't mention anything about this, get your money back. Selling a partially functioning system without notice is sketchy as hell, and you can practically guarantee that he knew about this.

Spoke to sony, they say no go. They say they cant and wont un-ban the system no matter what

On one hand I can understand their unwillingness to do so, but on the other hand its still retarded that they're not willing to work with you.

Just file a friggin paypal claim already, you'll get your money back by reporting it internally damaged. Feel free to send the guy back a brick so he'll leave ebay with a negative paypal balance. We need less of these unscrupulous sellers around anyway.

You can play games still, but you won't be able to download recent patches, update your console, nor anything else for that matter. So, you are techincally getting half the console. Even if you are not into online play, I suggest you get your refund one way or the other. There are many goodies available on PSN.

Are you dumb? How is that Sony/Msoft fault? It is no differnet than getting banned anywhere for doing somehting you were not supposed to.....

No I am not dumb I simply choose not to purchase some thing for well over $300-$400 that could be banned from online play. Being banned from some online server or service is fine. Having my machine banned is bull shit. If you choose to support the policy fine, I choose not to. I guess I am not so dumb but you may be.

No I am not dumb I simply choose not to purchase some thing for well over $300-$400 that could be banned from online play. Being banned from some online server or service is fine. Having my machine banned is bull shit. If you choose to support the policy fine, I choose not to. I guess I am not so dumb but you may be.

If you're honestly worried about having your console banned that says a lot about how you act during online games.

Back