Post your Mobile Devices!

Azazel90x

2[H]4U
Post your phone, PDAs, UMPCs, or netbooks (mini laptops with smaller then 11" screen) or portable gaming devices! NO LAPTOPS please as we already have a thread about that stickied to the top.

Heres what i usually carry with me wherever i go

2723994750_c8c627b2fe_b.jpg

They make my life sane and connected on the road.

So Post Yours!

1GB iPod shuffle (for runs and other quick trips) and a 16GB iPhone 3G (for everything else). Love 'em both and would probably go only to a very recent uber-device like a BlackBerry Bold or Nokia E71 if I had to give up the iPhone.

Mogul. See sig for the software Im running.

Havent made a final decision regarding diamond or touch pro for next device, but it will be one of them for damn sure.

Alltel PPC 6800 (AKA, Mogul, Titan, VX6800, etc)

P1010009.JPG

I use it with one of these at work to stream my audio from my home PC over the internet using Orb to my shelf stereo in my office. I also get TV from my PC's TV-Tuner the same way. :D
http://www.etronics.com/p-33804-sony-hws-bta2w-bluetooth-transmitterreceiver.aspx

I also have a set of Motorola S9's for it as well.

Havent made a final decision regarding diamond or touch pro for next device, but it will be one of them for damn sure.
I am hoping to see something running NVIDIA's APX 2500 by the time I upgrade: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/02/13/hands-on-with-nvidias-apx-2500-and-yeah-it-plays-quake/

That is the Spb Mobile Shell.

It's free to try for a couple of weeks or so, but it costs like $30. I love it, it makes using my phone alot nicer.

thanks , im gonna try it out once i find my usb cable lol i hate how i have to have my home screen so cluttered!

How is that headset working out for you?
Very well. The J2 is much more comfortable than the original Jawbone. One minor annoyance is that I can't use the headset while my BB's WiFi is turned on. The J2 operates on the same 2.4GHz frequency as the WiFi so the interference renders the headset unusable. No big deal, though. I just switch the phone to EDGE only when I use the J2.

I want to get a blue tooth headset that has no clip, but instead sticks in the ear with one of those rubber "ear" shaped things.

1GB iPod shuffle (for runs and other quick trips) and a 16GB iPhone 3G (for everything else). Love 'em both and would probably go only to a very recent uber-device like a BlackBerry Bold or Nokia E71 if I had to give up the iPhone.

How is that iphone working out for you??

My netbook and my netbooks before 'netbook' was what they were called, plus my roommate's netbook that used to be mine:
(clickable to flickr page with some notes)

The EEE PC 900 is only one hat is still mine that sees much use. Daily usage lately.

My Toshiba e350 PocketPC PDA, it was cheap and featured USB host (as in you can plug in USB keyboards and such it into it). The only pic I have of when I took it apart to find out the chips inside to help someone porting Linux to Toshiba PDAs:

Not really used much anymore.

[no pic]I had a Nokia 770 that I got when they dropped to $130, but it suffered a "White Screen of Death," an unrecoverable hardware failure. It's still under warranty, and most are reporting replacements of the newer N800, so I'll be sending it in once I get settled in to my new place.

[no pics]Speaking of my new place, I'm currently carrying around two TracFone phones. One with the my old number and area code that has been dropped too many times (once into a bathtub), and it's $9 replacement with the new city's area code. I never really liked pay plans, as I'm a low usage user, so no iPhone or other fancy phone for me, though I am tempted to get the iPod Touch, especially with the new Pandora.com applet. (AT&T Go gets bad reviews in my area, for those that were going to suggest that)

[no pic]Before I lost it, my Sansa MP3 player running Rockbox was pretty much a daily carry as well. Fairly small and insane battery life with my usage (literally months). Some fun games on it as well ("Robot Finds Kitten" is hours of Zen fun). I hope I find it back soon.

Why dont more PDAs include USB Host?

Prior to Windows Mobile 6 (or maybe 5), built-in USB device drivers were nearly non-existent. With my e350, the only thing that worked out of the box was keyboards. There are third-party drivers for other devices, but I never got thumbdrives or USB harddisks to fully work with WM2003 using either driver available. I could read the disk, but not load anything from it. I'm guessing most manufactures wanted to avoid the nightmare of trying to support something like that. Considering that most later gen PDA processors (Intel PXA270 X-Scale and higher Marvel X-Scales) had USB host on the same chip as the processor, this is the only reason I can come up with.

The newest Ipaqs have USB host, so I guess HP was waiting or the extra driver support of WM6 (you can just plug in a thumbdrive and use it now!)

PalmOS has no native support for USB host, though I saw a USB host program for the platform. I'm not sure how that would work as most will not have the host lines brought out from the processor.

Nokia E71
PSP
iRiver h140 for long trips + Rockbox + Sennheiser PX100s
iPod Classic 80GB for when I feel like watching video on the go.

Prior to Windows Mobile 6 (or maybe 5), built-in USB device drivers were nearly non-existent. With my e350, the only thing that worked out of the box was keyboards. There are third-party drivers for other devices, but I never got thumbdrives or USB harddisks to fully work with WM2003 using either driver available. I could read the disk, but not load anything from it. I'm guessing most manufactures wanted to avoid the nightmare of trying to support something like that. Considering that most later gen PDA processors (Intel PXA270 X-Scale and higher Marvel X-Scales) had USB host on the same chip as the processor, this is the only reason I can come up with.

The newest Ipaqs have USB host, so I guess HP was waiting or the extra driver support of WM6 (you can just plug in a thumbdrive and use it now!)

PalmOS has no native support for USB host, though I saw a USB host program for the platform. I'm not sure how that would work as most will not have the host lines brought out from the processor.

Are you saying that there is the possibility that I could plug in a USB keyboard into my WM6 phone?

Are you saying that there is the possibility that I could plug in a USB keyboard into my WM6 phone?

I'd say it's not a good possibility, but check your phones accessory page for a usb host cable and your manual for mention of USB host or USB OTG. Phone manufactures like tying down their hardware to their accessories. :mad:

One would think that if a WM6 phone needed a keyboard, it would more than likely support Bluetooth for such purposes, or even Wi-Fi... and yeah, I've seen a Wi-Fi keyboard or two over the years. Or Infrared, of course, the old stalwart of the mobile warrior brigade...

USB keyboard plugged into a WM6 device... that's kinda weird. ;)

This is all I need. It's seriously a life changing device:)~
DSCN0759.jpg

This was my first dive into the all in one touch screen devices and it sure served me well!
DSCN0722.jpg

DSCN0727.jpg

DSCN0740.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3255/2662337972_a1bbbd7834.jpg

I can buy a 16GB iPhone 3G for about $400 without a contract and im wondering whats the cheapest plan from rogers without a contract.

Nice iPhone Kevin, but i think i prefer the iPAQ

Really? I loved the ipaq but find myself using the iPhone waaay more than I ever did the ipaq because of its portability and overall simplicity. I got so sick of WM and I don't know if I could go back. I mean I couldn't even set a picture as a background on that thing, it just seemed drab to me after using highly customizable phones before it. Also Mobile Safari is Amazing as far as smartphone browsers go imo. Its all in the touch...:D

Really? I loved the ipaq but find myself using the iPhone waaay more than I ever did the ipaq because of its portability and overall simplicity. I got so sick of WM and I don't know if I could go back. I mean I couldn't even set a picture as a background on that thing, it just seemed drab to me after using highly customizable phones before it. Also Mobile Safari is Amazing as far as smartphone browsers go imo. Its all in the touch...:D

What? i love WM, its gotta be the most customizable mobile os ever, you can change the shells, background, just about every aspect of WM to fit your liking, and you can download any app for WM and it just works, anyone can make an app, theres no specs on what you can or cannot make, i just find it absolutely head and shoulders above the closed iPhone (without jailbreaking), it just works outta the box....but each to his own.

What does that IPaq run for specs?

i second that, and what year did u buy it in?

It did have some things that the iPhone does not like GPS, though I never got a program to use it. The specs are an Intel XScale PXA270 312 MHz processor, 64MB Ram, quad-band GSM phone, and Bluetooth 1.2. I had it listed on the forums forever until I decided to list it on ebay. I bought it in September for $138 and sold it in March for $175. Besides my first iPhone that was the best electronics flip I have ever done.:cool:

How is that iphone working out for you??

Pardon the late reply. :)

The iPhone 3G is working out quite nicely, at least now that the 2.0.1 firmware update has taken care of the slowdowns. It's definitely the most enjoyable smartphone I've used, and I've tested several as part of my work (including the BlackBerry Curve 8330, Nokia N95 8GB, and a few Windows Mobile gadgets).

The battery life is short when you're in full-on 3G mode, but it's still better than the N95 8GB. You so much as sneezed and the N95 lost much of its battery.

GPS is handy, but mainly for pinpointing your location and geotagging data in non-map software. It won't be until the 2.1 update around next month or so that you'll see directional GPS and the iPhone gets closer to replacing your N95 or even your TomTom.

Also, notions that you "need" a hardware keyboard are a bit misguided after having used the iPhone for long enough. I can type quite quickly with the iPhone, and I like that I get screen area back once I'm done without having to resort to a chunky slider design.

Back