Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nvd5G9KngY

Ok game is really short 4-8 hours I just zoomed through the game on the walkthrough didn't see anything I liked going to refund.Gameplay is the biggest issues people on Steam calling it a good Movie and not a Game. I had alot more fun with Vrising last week. The only thing Ninja Theory knows is pickpocketing.....

Witchfire blows this 3rd person movie out of the water.

Last edited:
Is this really a fix or will it just zoom in?
Have not tried it myself yet, so I don't know. But if the game has proper Hor+ behavior then your naturally going to see less on the sides compared to a wider aspect ratio. So long as the vertical FOV is the same as the 21:9 AR then it's fine. Some people are suggesting using Flawless Widescreen, though, so the FOV is probably messed up. From the gameplay videos it looks like they're using a 70-80 horizontal FOV for the 21:9 AR, which is dumb.

I don't know why Epic removed the FOV cvars from UE5. Universal Unreal Unlocker for UE5 is still being developed and only works in a few games right now, so we have to rely on people making plugins for FWS.

Reactions: lors
like this
TechPowerUp apparently included a cvar in their benchmark review to lock the vertical FOV, so it may fix the view frustum if the image is zoomed in. Put it in the same engine.ini file.

[/script/engine.localplayer]
AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

No atmos support. Fucking unbelievable. What a showcase this would have been...

echPowerUp apparently included a cvar in their benchmark review to lock the vertical FOV, so it may fix the view frustum if the image is zoomed in. Put it in the same engine.ini file.

[/script/engine.localplayer]
AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

Does not work for me. Still zoomed in.

Last edited:
Paying a monthly sub is not free...
I don’t think people are being literal when they say it’s free on Gamepass. They’re just communicating that if you’re subscribed, or are going to subscribe, you can play the game without having to pay full price for it. It’s like when you’re inundated with work, and you say to someone who’s being pushy, just a minute, and that person annoyingly starts counting out loud, as though your whole life revolves around them - it’s not literal. I don’t think anyone believes that Gamepass is free.

I don’t think people are being literal when they say it’s free on Gamepass. They’re just communicating that if you’re subscribed, or are going to subscribe, you can play the game without having to pay full price for it. It’s like when you’re inundated with work, and you say to someone who’s being pushy, just a minute, and that person annoyingly starts counting out loud, as though your whole life revolves around them - it’s not literal. I don’t think anyone believes that Gamepass is free.
Agreed.

What I meant when I said it is 'free' is that if you have subscribed for game pass due to other reasons (ex. To play Call of Duty) then this game is complementary or free.

That is the marginal cost is free, if you are already subscribed to game pass (assuming you see a value in that subscription)

That was a great game. Other than some pacing issues towards the middle I enjoyed every minute of it.
I actually played 1 for the first time yesterday and beat it in one sitting then went straight into 2 today. Talk about an experience... I think it may have broken my brain a little. I can't wait for the 3rd one.

I also couldn't stop thinking about how good the next Witcher game is going to look on UE5, I kind of hope CDPR plays this and takes some inspiration from the slower, more visceral combat.

Hellblade 2 is a story-driven experience more than what one might think of as a typical game, let alone a triple-A juggernaut. This is evident in how input is handled - there are many scenes where you push up, watch an animation play out, then push up again when that animation is finished. In combat, the game regularly takes control out of your hands - you press buttons to attack and when you've drained enough life, the game will play a finisher animation before bringing in the next enemy. Most of your time with Hellblade 2 involves walking or watching.

And frankly, I think it's great that such an experience can be made at this level of fidelity. Whether it's for you or not is down to personal taste but what is here has been executed perfectly and that deserves kudos. Ninja Theory has made one of the most technically accomplished examples of real-time graphics we've seen to date and it absolutely should be experienced.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...moment-in-the-evolution-of-real-time-graphics

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpsRNCKiVCk&feature=youtu.be

I’m really looking forward to playing this.

Back in the day there was a company called Cinemaware that produced spectacular looking games in which actual gameplay was secondary to the atmosphere. I loved those games, It Came From The Desert being my favourite.

Years later, Crytek would release Ryse: Son of Rome, which was made from the same mould. I loved that game too.

Games like this are really about the visuals and the atmosphere. Almost by definition, a game like this has to be short… short, but sweet… or it will outstay its welcome.

I’m not expecting gameplay that’s anything other than an elaborate quick time event. Hopefully, this will be a fun ride on my 4090.

a game like this has to be short… short, but sweet… or it will outstay its welcome.
Or at least (even if we remove the workforce challenge of making them long) like short movie vs movie vs long tv series, the less short it is the less intense and artisticaly bold it need to be (like food savor, music and everything), 80 hours or highly depressive-charged imagery..... A long game of that sort that more like a funny sitcom were you solve a series of funny crime as a cop, with some action sequence, maybe it can be long.

A 7 minutes short movie can be very bold, loud, anything, 2 hours you would get dizzy.

I'm at chapter 5 now, 1 chapter until finished. The cinematics get better later on in the game which was a surprise since they were already amazing. And the fact that this is running so fast means the future of UE5.4+ at 3440x1440 is very strong and I'm more than happy to keep the 4090 in service. And this uses elements of software RT too via Lumen so imagine the boost from HW RT once the full scope of tech from Nvidia is in UE5 (Ray Reconstruction, SER, ReSTIR GI etc like they are in Cyberpunk).

View: https://youtu.be/rT5lNLpN9Sk

Is frame gen and DLAA bugged for anyone? I am only getting 90-95 fps at 4K DLSS Quality but when I turn on frame gen it drops to 70 fps. When I use DLAA and irrespective of frame gen it drops to 55-60 fps. Wtf is this crap?

I would rate the game worse than Alan Wake 2.

I got my $10 worth from PC Gamepass for this month between Hellblade 2 and Little Kitty, Big City.
That describes perfectly why I take issue with games pass and any game subscription service. You are always on the lookout for games to make it worth it. It is a version of the sunken cost fallacy (combined with fomo if your subscription is for a specific time only). You are pressured to play more games, which is exactly what they want. But I'd rather choose what games I play without pressure and a time crunch.

Patch Notes – May 31, 2024

-Added a warning prompt when selecting ‘New Story’ as this option resets the current save's story progress
-Fixed the large text size option, which was causing UI elements in chapter selection to go out of bounds
-Animation sync issues during some enemy executions in combat have been adjusted and fixed
-Adjusted the combat events during the Thórgestr battle at the end of Chapter 1
-Several localization fixes
-Tree collision fixes in Chapter 2 settlement puzzle
-Fixed the crash when closing photo mode after extended gameplay
-Fixed a few cases of memory leaks game-wide
-Ultrawide fix during Chapter 3 cinematic to prevent Fargrímr from disappearing
-Indoor rain inside the broken house in Chapter 1 is fixed
-Ghosting issues fixed when running Frame Generation
-Added missing SFX during Chapter 3 puzzle and Chapter 4 combat
-Fixed missing captions in several areas across the game
-Missing facial animations in Chapter 5 cinematic after village battle
-Misaligned peach fuzz around Senua's neck and face has been corrected
-Goði combat crowd push events have been adjusted for a better combat experience
-Improved FSR3 artifacts
-Fixed the case of some animated objects were invisible during gameplay
-Fixed instances of black marks appearing on faces around beards and fine hairs on Low preset

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2461850/view/4166471769756034428

That describes perfectly why I take issue with games pass and any game subscription service. You are always on the lookout for games to make it worth it. It is a version of the sunken cost fallacy (combined with fomo if your subscription is for a specific time only). You are pressured to play more games, which is exactly what they want. But I'd rather choose what games I play without pressure and a time crunch.
giphy.gif

I got to play and finish 2 games for $10 that I didn't have to pay full price for in a weekend. Cheaper than going to the movies (hell that's cheaper than getting a combo meal at fast food these days). They're one and done games. Works for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back