LG 32GS95UE – OLED 31.5″ with 4K @ 240Hz and 1080p @ 480Hz Support - The death knell of LCD panels

View: https://youtu.be/1zywFKUfb2s?feature=shared&t=387

He did a brightness measurement on the window size with his settings listed.

I'll see if I can grab a luminance tool to measure from a buddy and provide what mine shows.

Test patterns are not always indicative of real world performance though. See below:

1715808509974.png

If you go by the test patterns then you would think the PG34WCDM should absolutely slap the PG42UQ, but in real scene brightness it does not. The PG42UQ is almost double the brightness.

Test patterns are not always indicative of real world performance though. See below:

View attachment 653951

If you go by the test patterns then you would think the PG34WCDM should absolutely slap the PG42UQ, but in real scene brightness it does not. The PG42UQ is almost double the brightness.
the eotf is also apparently 💩 on the PG34 which is probably good chunk of the blame.

Current HDR calibration/eotf in the different presets on the LG looks poor also especially for the cost of this monitor.

There is black crush and stuff is over brightened at times.

Anyone who says it's significantly brighter is crazy but it is visually a little brighter in whites and full screen compared to my AW34 which according to rtings was brighter then the AW32.

Honestly though graphs like this can be a bit misleading as it's hard to know what mode each of these was tested in.

Comparing directly to my AW32, the LG is way brighter in whites. I think this gives a perception of being brighter overall. Oh and in vivid mode the LG absolutely crushes the QDOLED's in brightness, but it's not going to be for everyone as you lose accuracy. I wish I still had my spectrometer for measurements.

Reactions: Hypez
like this
Comparing directly to my AW32, the LG is way brighter in whites. I think this gives a perception of being brighter overall. Oh and in vivid mode the LG absolutely crushes the QDOLED's in brightness, but it's not going to be for everyone as you lose accuracy. I wish I still had my spectrometer for measurements.
What settings do you prefer outside of vivid for HDR? Between Gamer 1 and 2 I can't seem to find one that looks right to me for majority of content. I have been flipping between them depending what I am doing.

RTings has a 32GE95UE purchased so we should see a review in 2 weeks or so. I'm really doubting that the LG is actually significantly brighter than the 3rd gen QD OLEDs despite the user reports saying it is though. The numbers just don't seem to back up that claim but let's see what we get from RTings.

View attachment 653944
You cropped out what the bars mean (n)

The blue bars are whatever he determines are "highlights". And the orange bars are whatever he determines "terrain". And in this specific "test", the LG doesn't do much better.

However, in a test pattern, the 10% window brightness is way higher (as tested by the same reviewer, The Display Guy). There will be some real content out there where that matters. There could even be some environments in Baldur's Gate 3 where different colors are emphasized, where that matters. It all changes scene to scene.
1715812667551.png

You cropped out what the bars mean (n)

The blue bars are whatever he determines are "highlights". And the orange bars are whatever he determines "terrain". And in this specific "test", the LG doesn't do much better.

However, in a test pattern, the 10% window brightness is way higher (as tested by the same reviewer, The Display Guy). There will be some real content out there where that matters. There could even be some environments in Baldur's Gate 3 where different colors are emphasized, where that matters. It all changes scene to scene.
View attachment 653962

Does it matter? Like I said, I'm not putting too much weight on his graph anyway, the guy is very much a clown when it comes to monitors but at least he has some actual numbers vs other reviewers who provide zero data. I will be keeping a look out as more and more data comes in from other reviewers.

Back