Comp not starting - help please

magus0216

n00b
Alright, my computer has done this before but it fixed itself over time and now its happened again. When I press the power button my hdd indicator stays orange and doesn't blink; the cd drive light blinks but I dont think thats important; I'm not getting any POST beeps; and the monitor says "waitng for computer output" or something similar to that. I thought since the hdd indicator was frozen it was the hard drive, but i swapped it out with my sisters and still nothing. I havent tested the monitor, but i dont think thats it since the hdd indicator is frozen. I'm thinking processor or RAM. Oh yea, im running a p4 2.4ghz 533mhz fsb on the intel i850 chipset (gigabyte) with pc1066 kingston rambus. Any suggestions?

A few brief suggestions come to mind.

1. Reset the MB using the CMOS jumper.

2. Ensure that the MB is not being grounded to the case by the attaching screws.

3. Unhook all external device except your video card and your hard drive and see if it will boot.

4. Replace the power supply.

This is mostly due to RAM. i've seen this countless times when the ram stick isn't all the way in or if it gets too dusty. If you're mobo is extremely dusty take a air compressor or something to it.

Try putting the ram in another slot. If that doesn't work, then i'm not sure. follow the poster above's procedure's. Do this before buying a new powersupply tho ^^

If all else fails, take out the mobo battery and put it back in (with entire system and psu off of course). This clears up more than the CMOS jumper does. You'll just have to set your date and time again.

the gigabyte board you have is Dual BIOS right? anyways, IF... ur HD light is ON... you have yer Ribbon cable Fliped... i'm assuming you have a Older... Ribbon cable where you can plug in the cable Either way. Flip it there are only 4 combinations, and If it is fliped, it Will not post or beep.

I bet if you unplug the HD's Ribbon cable it'll beep. and i guess you can try resetting the Bios, tho i don't see the point if it was Dual BIOS. i think you have the same one as my frens, which i build that uses Rambus. anyways, hope my solution works

Back