Which AM5 motherboards have 40Gbps USB 4?

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
I know the USB 4 spec supports 40Gbps without an add-in card, but I'm having difficulting finding AM5 boards with 40Gbps built-in.

Is there a definitive list somewhere of boards that support 40Gbps, or if not have a Thunderbolt header for an add-in card?

X670E-Creator ProArt, uses the Intel Thunderbolt chip for usb-c connectivity.

X670E-Creator ProArt, uses the Intel Thunderbolt chip for usb-c connectivity.
For that price I might as well just buy a board with a header for a TB add-in and add my own card.

I don't understand why AM5 mobo manufacturers make it so difficult to figure out which version of USB 4 their motherboards use.

For that price I might as well just buy a board with a header for a TB add-in and add my own card.

I don't understand why AM5 mobo manufacturers make it so difficult to figure out which version of USB 4 their motherboards use.

The price is great for what you get, 2 thunderbolt ports with video out capabilities as well as 10GbE all for $500. What kind of price point are you looking for when it comes to top tier boards?

That is the cheapest board I seen with TB 40gb on it. That I seen and always out of stock.

The B650E Taichi has one and is the cheapest board I think that does:

1 x USB4 Type-C Port (40 Gb/s)*
* Supports USB PD 3.0 up to 9V@3A (27W) / 5V@3A (15W) charging

You have to dig through the manual to figure out it's using the Intel Maple Ridge controller and it's not as fully featured as the other thunderbolt controller based Asus boards.

But, it all comes down to what price point you're trying to hit and what other features you'd like.

The B650E Taichi has one and is the cheapest board I think that does:

You have to dig through the manual to figure out it's using the Intel Maple Ridge controller and it's not as fully featured as the other thunderbolt controller based Asus boards.

But, it all comes down to what price point you're trying to hit and what other features you'd like.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-MAPLE-RIDGE-rev-10#kf

Apparently a lot of the Gigabyte boards support their Maple Ridge board. I don’t know how fully functional it would be compared with an onboard port.

Have you found any Gigabyte AM5 boards with the thunderbolt header for the add in card? There are none on the support list.
Did you look at the list of supported boards further down on the page? Are you saying it's inaccurate?

I read somewhere that some Asus boards have a TB header as well.

Did you look at the list of supported boards further down on the page? Are you saying it's inaccurate?

I read somewhere that some Asus boards have a TB header as well.

This is the list I see on the website and they're all Intel boards.

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 9.16.25 AM.png

The X670 Aorus Elite AX has the TB4 header. I imagine some other AMD boards do as well. Maybe the Maple Ridge board itself is intel-only, or maybe because it's an Intel derived board, Gigabyte aren't allowed to use the A-word in their website copy. I dunno.

The X670 Aorus Elite AX has the TB4 header. I imagine some other AMD boards do as well. Maybe the Maple Ridge board itself is intel-only, or maybe because it's an Intel derived board, Gigabyte aren't allowed to use the A-word in their website copy. I dunno.

Looking at that board, it has a 5 pin header (THB_U4), but the card shows it needs a 5 pin (THB_C1) and 3 pin (THB_C2) header.

Card install manual: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...230215.pdf?v=28779cc96f9d73ef2a1694b54cb80876

X670 Aorus Elite AX manual: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...x_e_v2.pdf?v=a1e1a48cf1f535643c0df07510e72360

Is there a newer version of of the Gigabyte Thunderbolt card that only connects with a single 5 pin cable (THB_U4)?

Back