PSU for BIG RIG.

vigor

Limp Gawd
As my machine starts to get cluttered, im starting to wonder if my Antec True Power 430 needs an upgrading. Here is my system as it stands now, think it's wise to move up to a beefier PSU?

Lian-Li PC75
Abit IS7-E
Intel P4 3.0 C
1 GB Corsair XMS DDR
Sony 52X CD-Rom
Lite-On 52x CD-RW
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy - Platinum
Thermal Take Hardcano Hard-Drive Cooler
5x Antec Silent case fans
2x Vantec Tornado's 80 MM
ATI Radeon x800 XT (on it's way)
LSI Logic U-160 SCSI Controller
18 GB Seagate Chetah 15k RPM SCSI
80 GB IDE Western Digital Caviar SE
20 GB IDE Western Digital Caviar (Non-SE)
36 GB Sata Western Digital Raptor
SuperFlower Fan Master controller.
Standard Floppy Drive

check the amp specs on a PC Power and Cooling 510
likely that would be all youd need

add up your needs
http://takaman.jp/D/?english
a good start, some additional research might be required

beyond that there are the N+1 PSUs
Ive used a Zippy MR3-6460P 650Watt to run 12 ATA HDDs + 2 Opticals and 4U Rackmount Fan Arrays (3x120s 3x80s)
Zippys are common in servers, and storage arrays and have a pretty good transient response

I would say you're starting to push it, but unless you're having problems, why upgrade?

I would say the Antec True Power 430w is plenty. I doubt the system is going to be using more then 350w under full load. If you start having problems with random reboots or shutdowns then you know its not enough but as long as you make sure you dont overload one of the cables there really isn't much point in upgradeing to something larger until something goes wrong with the PSU.

I've got more then that running in mine with a True Power 430w and I'm planning to get a nVidia 6800 ultra or GT and they both draw more power then the X800XT. I ordered a TrueBlue 480w this week though because i'm having a problem with the rear fan on my 430w making quite a bit of noise and i'm going to have to take it out and "modify" it or something.

BTW, where are you getting this X800XT from? I thought the X800Pro's were the only ones available.

Back