power supply 200W for an i5-4690 ?

Daedin

n00b
Hello every body,
I have an intel core i5-4690 with graphic unit integrated, 2 memory stick of 8go, an 1 hdd and 1 ethernet 10gb and 1 ethernet 1gb adpatator.

i want to make a linux routeur out of it, do you think a 200w power supply will be enough ?

Thanks for your replies ;oD.

probably. the cpu is 84w, board is like 25 and a few for each card/drive.

I would not. I’d say 400w. Those chips weren’t terribly efficient. 84 watt TDP. Or a high efficiency 300w quality unit.
yeah you might be right on that. i tend to always recommend what the gpu minimum is... i also didnt realize that that chip will suck 114-170w+ under full load!

the graphics card will not be used ( just at the beggining to install openwrt ) , because router doesn"t need video ;) and it will run on 24/24 7/7 that's why i wonder if only a 200W would be sufficient.

the graphics card will not be used ( just at the beggining to install openwrt ) , because router doesn"t need video ;) and it will run on 24/24 7/7 that's why i wonder if only a 200W would be sufficient.
if you set the chip to say at stock speed, no boost, it might be fine. but it boosting up to 170w depending on the load is cutting it very close on its own.

Well, what's the actual PSU in question? Specifically, how are those 200W distributed among the usual voltage rails (5V, 12V, 3.3V...)
There should be a sticker breaking down acceptable Amperage on each voltage rail

The igpu does not turn off even if you turn off the display. It still uses power.

Hello, i come back to give you a feedback. I have bought a go sund electric outlet which can measure the Watts the device have been spending.
and when the cpu is idle, only 46w is spending when i load the 4 cpu with a scripts at 100% --> 76w ( no boost, i thing the 84w is when bosst is applied ) .
i have bought a 300w be quiet 80 plus gold, i am very large but that's good ;).

Hello, i come back to give you a feedback. I have bought a go sund electric outlet which can measure the Watts the device have been spending.
and when the cpu is idle, only 46w is spending when i load the 4 cpu with a scripts at 100% --> 76w ( no boost, i thing the 84w is when bosst is applied ) .
always better to have more than you need. glad its working for ya!
welcome to [H] btw!

Awesome! Glad you got it working and are happy!

Back